The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-27-2014, 04:14 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by billgennaro View Post
Must be terrible for a luthier to have elbow problems. I imagine anything involving a chisel would be a nightmare in that situation. Glad you both figured it out.

On a side note, I've seen many a man that did not put weight on gracefully. Its more the grey hair and age lines that look distinguished.

Kewl! I have gray hair and age lines. Now I can pretend I look distinguished.

AGF MCKNIGHT GUITAR SNIPPETS https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=663228

I'll continue "Doin' Life ... As a Luthier's Wife"
McJam = Guitar private event June 21-22, 2024
[email protected]
Pre-sign is required and begins now.
Old 09-27-2014, 05:34 PM

Cool A Hearty Thanks to the AGF!!!

Bill, I hope you're making progress getting back to guitar playing. I've found myself in a similar situation. First, I sprained my left index (barre) finger, then I took a nasty fall severely bruising my hip joints, that has been a real impediment to my guitar playing. I couldn't walk without my walker, a souvenir I got after my open-heart surgery. It's ironic I injured my back getting my walker out of storage. It reminds me of the lyric, "If I didn't have bad luck, I'd have no luck at all!"

I'm now on the mend, back home, after spending 5 days in the hospital, and I hope you're feeling better too!

Glen
Gibson LP Deluxe/ES-347 TD/Chet Atkins CE
Fender MIA Deluxe Strat
Art & Lutherie 12-string
Bellucci Concert
Sigma CR-7
Recording King ROS-06 FE3/RPH-05
D'Angelico "New Yorker"
New Masters "Esperance SP"
Hermosa AH-20
“I never met a guitar I didn't like.”
Old 09-27-2014, 05:52 PM
Charter Member

On a serious note, in my experience typing (e.g. posting on AGF) makes tennis elbow worse. So it may not be the best kind of activity when taking breaks
Old 09-27-2014, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyAddison View Post
Bill,

Hold on! Wait a minute!

Are you saying you have a sore elbow from playing guitar, or "tennis elbow" from playing tennis, or a sore arm from playing guitar you are just calling "tennis elbow", or have been using one of your guitars as a tennis racket and that made your elbow sore?

It's very confusing. I do recommend using a small body guitar if you are using it as a tennis racket, less elbow strain, and you definitely wants to use 13's tuned to concert pitch.

If you're going to post more, please be more concise, I confuse easily.....
Rich,

You Martin guys are a confused bunch. I wonder what Kydave would think of all this.

"Accept your lot, whatever it may be, in ultimate humbleness. Accept in humbleness what you are, not as grounds for regret but as a living challenge."
Old 09-27-2014, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciarre View Post
At least Bill wasn't complaining of headaches, so that's good......
The headaches were last year's turmoil. Wade helped cure me of that one too!

"Accept your lot, whatever it may be, in ultimate humbleness. Accept in humbleness what you are, not as grounds for regret but as a living challenge."
Old 09-27-2014, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary View Post
Kewl! I have gray hair and age lines. Now I can pretend I look distinguished.
I have seen pictures and every word of it is true (the distinguished part that is)!

Old 09-27-2014, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottishrogue View Post
Bill, I hope you're making progress getting back to guitar playing. I've found myself in a similar situation. First, I sprained my left index (barre) finger, then I took a nasty fall severely bruising my hip joints, that has been a real impediment to my guitar playing. I couldn't walk without my walker, a souvenir I got after my open-heart surgery. It's ironic I injured my back getting my walker out of storage. It reminds me of the lyric, "If I didn't have bad luck, I'd have no luck at all!"

I'm now on the mend, back home, after spending 5 days in the hospital, and I hope you're feeling better too!

Glen
Glen,

As my wife often tells me, "you don't have to look far to find someone in a worse position than you are". My elbow is a joke next to heart problems. I sincerely hope your surgery is the ticket to many years of renewed health. Thanks for the well wishes. I return them to you in spades. Looks like we'll both be spending inordinate amounts of time on the AGF.

Old 09-27-2014, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogthefrog View Post
On a serious note, in my experience typing (e.g. posting on AGF) makes tennis elbow worse. So it may not be the best kind of activity when taking breaks
I had not thought of that and you might be right. As Glen just said, "If it weren't for bad luck......."

Old 09-27-2014, 07:02 PM
Charter Member

Hi Bill,

I'm sorry to hear that you are having trouble with your elbow and hope you heal up soon so that you can enjoy your wonderful guitars. I am glad the AGF is helping you out, though. I always enjoy your posts.

- Glenn
Old 09-27-2014, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billgennaro View Post
I do a lot of stretching and wear one of those tennis elbow supports. It all helps. I'll be seeing a doctor next week and will ask for a cortisone shot as well. I wish I wasn't so stubborn and could actually stop playing altogether for a few weeks. But I find it's easier to stop eating ice cream by comparison. And its impossible to stop eating ice cream.
And putting topical ice cream may help for a few minutes as well ......try alternating with cold compress, capsaicin cream during day and anti inflammatory.

Taylor 424ce SL
Emerald X20 purple weave
Emerald X20 gold weave
Taylor NS34ce
Taylor T5X
Composite Acoustic OX Raw (Peavey)
Rainsong OM
Breedlove Pro C25/CRH
Prestige Eclipse Spruce/Mahogany
Voyage Air VAOM-1C (2)
Baden D style Mahogany
Journey Instruments Spruce/Mahogany
Journey Instruments OF660
Recording King ROA-9 Bakersfield Limited
Mogabi 200
Old 09-27-2014, 09:32 PM

Lightbulb

I can't play at all now because of cervical stenosis, it really hurts, weird, sometimes it loosens up and I can play, but not recently, any folk medicine for this?

Snark Tuner
Old 09-27-2014, 10:31 PM
Humanist

Please go to this link and get some serious elbow help...!
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 09-27-2014, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
Please go to this link and get some serious elbow help...!
Thanks, Larry. I appreciate it. I had visited that web site weeks ago and it has me on the right track.

Old 09-27-2014, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guit3090 View Post
I can't play at all now because of cervical stenosis, it really hurts, weird, sometimes it loosens up and I can play, but not recently, any folk medicine for this?
Is that where you get severe neck pain from pinched nerves in your upper spine?

Old 09-27-2014, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoloff View Post
And putting topical ice cream may help for a few minutes as well ......try alternating with cold compress, capsaicin cream during day and anti inflammatory.
Yeah, been using cold packs and anti-inflammatory pills quite a bit, among other things like stretches and muscle exercises. We'll see what the doctor has to say next week. Thanks for the advice.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion