The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-26-2014, 08:12 PM
Guest 728

Thumbs up I Might Finally "Get" Thick Picks

Over a year ago, I bought a John Pearse 1.2mm "Fast Turtle," after reading lots of threads about Blue Chips, Red Bears and other thick, expensive picks that were getting a lot of acclaim. I always hated it -- it seemed too bulky, had no flex in it, and made the attack too soft. My trusty Dunlop Nylon .73s just felt natural.

But tonight I was fooling around with my Gibson, and for some reason decided to dig it out and give it another shot. And I think I finally get it -- it offers much better control, for one thing, and when you vary your attack and the amount of pick showing, you can get a nice variety of tones. I'd still like a little more "snap" in the point, but I think I'm starting to see the whole "thick" thing in a new light.

So, thick pick users -- why do you like them? Any tricks or tips I should know about?
Old 09-26-2014, 08:20 PM

Thick picks do take time. Like playing the guitar, you need to get the feel for it. These days I consider a 1 mm pick thin. If you ever take up mandolin you really get to appreciate some bite in your pick. Enjoy the journey. Fat picks and fat strings make for a fat tone.
Old 09-26-2014, 08:23 PM

Might try putting a sharp or a speed bevel on the edge. So far, every one I have tried was much improved by this change.
Old 09-26-2014, 08:24 PM

When I'm in a nasty mood and I have some brown liquor in me, I enjoy a Kennedy half dollar for a pick.
Old 09-26-2014, 08:25 PM

I like thick picks for the volume control I have. If I want to dig into a string with a thin floppy pick I can't because I've got no where to go. It has to be at least a 0.8 and I prefer larger.
Old 09-26-2014, 08:34 PM
Guest 728

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
Might try putting a sharp or a speed bevel on the edge. So far, every one I have tried was much improved by this change.
Not sure I know how or which edge … enlighten me, please?
Old 09-26-2014, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Voltaire View Post
Not sure I know how or which edge … enlighten me, please?
Easiest is to just file a knife edge instead of the rounded edge they come with. Polish it glass smooth. Its a 10-15 minute job with an emery board.
Old 09-26-2014, 08:43 PM

I like them for the same reason MOT does - you can really control the dynamics once you get used to using it. I mainly use wood picks and I love 'em - can't go back to the thin picks.
2101 Voyage Air VAD-06 Travel Dread
Danelectro '64
Kala ASAC-T Solid Acacia Ukulele
'81 Peavey T-40 bass

... and my baby - Bruce Johnson hand made AUB-2 Ampeg Scroll fretless bass - #30
Old 09-26-2014, 08:43 PM

I hated thick picks, but once I moved on to more picking and less strumming. The need for a thick pick. I am actually playing with the idea of g toting some blue chip picks
Epiphone Masterbuilt AJ-500M
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
Old 09-26-2014, 08:47 PM
Guest 728

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
Easiest is to just file a knife edge instead of the rounded edge they come with. Polish it glass smooth. Its a 10-15 minute job with an emery board.
Thanks! I'll buy another JP pick and try that.
Old 09-26-2014, 09:06 PM

I might add to the bevel point. It is very important on thick picks. I'm right handed and like a RH bevel. The idea is that your pick strikes the strings at an angle. For most folks, the forward edge strikes first on the down stroke and the back edge on the upstroke. If you file a flat on the bottom of the front edge and a flat on the top of the back edge you get a bevel that most folks like. Buy a dozen picks and play with it. MY experience is that a pick of 1 mm or thicker is better with a bevel.
Old 09-26-2014, 09:09 PM

Like a lot of folks, I started with very thin, nylon even, picks. Moved up a bit. Eventually started mandolin and there is really no way to get good tone with thin picks. Bought heavier ones. Got used to it. Brought them over to guitar and have been using them ever since. Sometimes I do still like a regular medium plastic pick for guitar. Just depends on what I'm playing. It's amazing how mich one can alter his/her sound by what pick is used and how.
Old 09-27-2014, 02:33 AM

The thick picks I bought as an experiment (1.5 and 2.00) have gravitated to the bottom of my pick box. I like a bright tone, always have done, and they just don't do it for me.
Folk have commented on how they feel a thicker pick offers better 'control', and that's fine, but I use 0.96 celluloid equilateral triangle picks and for me they are a great compromise between being able to strum without the awful 'clack' of fat picks, and a good, clear flatpicking tone with just a bit of flex.
Old 09-27-2014, 04:18 AM
Charter Member

I am just finishing up an article on picks, and as regards thickness this it what I have written :

"1. Thickness :
For simple strumming and beginners, many use picks with a thickness of less than 1 m/m.
For flat-picking (Americana, old-time, and bluegrass) I find that most opt for a thicker pick – i.e. 1 - 2m/m.
For jazz (manouche and big band rhythm etc) many favour 2-3 m/m – i.e. very thick! n.b. – same applies for bluegrass mandolin pickers!"

I speak from a bluegrass/Americana style point of view, but I believe that the quest is for a pick that is firm to hold without being entirely rigid, and which imparts a degree of initial attack, with some follow through tonality.

I use mostly Bluechip TAD 40 (1 m/m for solo stuff) and TAD50 (1.25 m/m for combo stuff) and a TAD 60 (1.5 m/m) for my 12 string guitar. However, I recently got a guitar by Santa Cruz, and the characteristics are quite different to my usual Collings guitars. I have just ordered two more Wegen TF140 picks which seems to bring out a better attack, and broader bass and mid tone.

Note - it is my experience that when using a 346 (large triangle shape, one can use a thickness .25 m/m thinner than if using the 351 teardrop style.

Your mileage will vary dramatically depending on your personal style and the resonance and balance of the instrument you are playing.

Hope that helps.
Old 09-27-2014, 05:44 AM

Blue Chips, thick picks with great bevels, last forever.

Choice of thicknesses, choice of sizes, choice of bevels (normal or speed), left or right handed......one stop shopping, good stuff.

The best............

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion