The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-26-2014, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASmusic View Post
The Yamaha fs700s is a really nice guitar.
What's your opinions on fender vs Yamaha in the same price range?
The only comparison I can give you is between a yamaha fs700s and a fender cd60-ce because I have them both sitting right here. IMO, the yamaha is about twice the guitar and half the price.
Old 09-26-2014, 11:11 AM

I have a Tak 340sc that I use for exactly what you're talking about. It plays great, sounds darn good and has a built in tuner that you can read in the dark.

Awesome campfire guitar. Also should mention the Tak is built like a tank.

Doerr/Taylor
Old 09-26-2014, 11:25 AM

Ive a great sounding Olympia dread Ive been hanging on to. I can pm you not to bend forum rules but put it out there for opinions on your thread
Old 09-26-2014, 11:30 AM

Look….why buy NEW when you are only going to beat the guitar? One of the best kept secrets in the guitar world, is TACOMA guitars. No longer in business, because of the curse of a Fender buy-out, and virtually bankrupted by finish problems….BUT these are top notch American made solid wood guitars. Often they have finish problems, usually called Tacoma "rash" where the poly finish lifted because the finishers waited too long between primer coats and final coat, so, since you want a beater anyway, here's a great opportunity to have a quality guitar WITHOUT having to worry about the first scratch. There are many Tacomas out there that actually don't have much of a finish problem and you can find them fairly cheap….good luck in the hunt!
Old 09-26-2014, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue-wily-fox View Post
Look….why buy NEW when you are only going to beat the guitar? One of the best kept secrets in the guitar world, is TACOMA guitars. No longer in business, because of the curse of a Fender buy-out, and virtually bankrupted by finish problems….BUT these are top notch American made solid wood guitars. Often they have finish problems, usually called Tacoma "rash" where the poly finish lifted because the finishers waited too long between primer coats and final coat, so, since you want a beater anyway, here's a great opportunity to have a quality guitar WITHOUT having to worry about the first scratch. There are many Tacomas out there that actually don't have much of a finish problem and you can find them fairly cheap….good luck in the hunt!
BTW...Olympia is the import version(less expensive laminate b/s) by Tacoma, full sounding for those outside adventures
Old 09-26-2014, 11:54 AM

Quote:
I was looking at the Recording King Dirty 30s single O. But I heard it sounds thin in some reviews I read. I've never played one so I can't say for sure.
And I was looking at Epiphone too. My main acoustic is an EJ200. Although its not super expensive, I still don't want to take chances in colder weather
I have the Dirty 30's Single O and it isn't remotely thin sounding. It's remarkably loud, too...very unexpected for a little Single O.
Old 09-26-2014, 12:03 PM

Default Yamaha F335

I have a Yamaha F335 from 2003. All laminate, my first guitar. Perfect for taking outside. GC carries them, and frequently put them on sale. Well built like the other stuff Yamaha makes. Sounds good, doesn't require a ton of upkeep. I put Elixir's on it, and I never have to worry about anything on it. Perfect for the situation you describe.
Old 09-26-2014, 12:04 PM

Used shallow body Applause or Ovation. Ric
Old 09-26-2014, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue-wily-fox View Post
Well I was looking for a new guitar because I've honestly never had luck with used guitars. But thanks for the advice I'll definitely still search around.
Old 09-26-2014, 12:28 PM

Cool Looking for a good "beater" guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffenstein View Post
I have the Dirty 30's Single O and it isn't remotely thin sounding. It's remarkably loud, too...very unexpected for a little Single O.
That seems to be a popular guitar, as I have one too, and was impressed with the tone and volume for a "parlor" size 0 guitar. I'm going to convert mine to use nylon strings, so my grandson can use it to learn to play guitar.

Glen
Gibson LP Deluxe/ES-347 TD/Chet Atkins CE
Fender MIA Deluxe Strat
Art & Lutherie 12-string
Bellucci Concert
Sigma CR-7
Recording King ROS-06 FE3/RPH-05
D'Angelico "New Yorker"
New Masters "Esperance SP"
Hermosa AH-20
“I never met a guitar I didn't like.”
Old 09-26-2014, 12:39 PM

Another vote for the Yamaha FS700. It is my beach, take on hot car vacation, "Hey, can I play your guitar" guitar.
Old 09-26-2014, 02:00 PM
AGF Sponsor

It's a buyer's market, and a lot of great choices out there, as seen above.

You didn't say whether you were thinking new or used. Buying a new guitar is probably second worst investment in America, after buying a new car. Take it out of the store and it drops at least 30% in value.

I always like buying "beaters" that have lived a little and have some scratches and dings, as long as they're structurally sound. This drops the value even further, but doesn't affect the sound.
Old 09-26-2014, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffenstein View Post
I've played the Dirty Thirties 0 and it's OK.

I once owned a Dirty Thirties 000 and it's suprizingly good. Not great, but darn good.

~Dave
~Music self-played is happiness self-made
Old 09-26-2014, 03:42 PM

I just picked up a Recording King ROS- O6 for a beater guitar and like it so much I had a pickup installed. I would guess they'd be just a little over your budget used
Old 09-26-2014, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Obviously I'm not going to beat my guitar. Haha
But I'm looking for a cheap ($150-200) guitar.
Just something that I can take outside on cooler nights and sit around the fire with.
I don't care if its a laminated or solid top. As long as it stays in tune, plays well and sounds nice. I also don't really care what body style it is.
Any suggestions?
The new Epiphone Por 1 series might fit the bill for you.

Taylor 424ce SL
Emerald X20 purple weave
Emerald X20 gold weave
Taylor NS34ce
Taylor T5X
Composite Acoustic OX Raw (Peavey)
Rainsong OM
Breedlove Pro C25/CRH
Prestige Eclipse Spruce/Mahogany
Voyage Air VAOM-1C (2)
Baden D style Mahogany
Journey Instruments Spruce/Mahogany
Journey Instruments OF660
Recording King ROA-9 Bakersfield Limited
Mogabi 200

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion