The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-25-2014, 10:16 PM
Charter Member

Default NGD 2012 Olson Brazilian Beauty

Just received my first Olson from Luthiers Collection. I was there last week and had my wife along with me. I was pretty darn convinced when I went that I really wanted a vintage pre-war style OM. Played through everything that Mike reccomended- Franklin, Circa, Blazer & Henkes, Dudenbostel, Walker, Brondel etc. (all amazing BTW). Just as I was about to leave I asked Mike to let me try an Olson. Wow, I was really taken back. Mike stated what great singer/songwriter guitars they are so I dropped it into DADGAD and began singing. I was very surprised in that it not only played and sounded remarkable but it really complimented my vocal. My wife heard the difference as well as I proceeded to A/B my vocal with several of the aforementioned guitars. Long story short my wife encouraged me to buy it and it arrived today. Needless to say I am absolutely thrilled. I will try to post some pictures this weekend.
Old 09-25-2014, 10:47 PM
Charter Member

Hi RW,

Congratulations on your new Olson. Good for you!

I find your comments very interesting because I, too, have found that my own Olson SJ works beautifully for singing with. There is something about the quality of the sound that lays a beautiful bed for a person to sing over. And the guitar never seems to get in the way of my voice.

Enjoy that lovely guitar!

- Glenn
Old 09-25-2014, 11:28 PM

Chances are that I've played that particular guitar. Every time I go to LC I play a few of the Olsons he's got. I agree that they are great for singing over. Is yours the one with the Englemann top or one of the others with Cedar?

Also, Mike is a great guy and has always, always steered me in the right direction. He's great at listening to you play and then bringing out instrument after instrument geared towards what he thinks will suit you.

I was thinking of heading over there soon to try the few Franklins he's got in recently. What were your thoughts on those?

"Accept your lot, whatever it may be, in ultimate humbleness. Accept in humbleness what you are, not as grounds for regret but as a living challenge."
Old 09-26-2014, 06:31 AM
Charter Member

Congratulations! A first class purchase all the way. Can't wait to see some pictures.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 09-26-2014, 06:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwpierce View Post
…Needless to say I am absolutely thrilled.
Hi Rw…

Sounds like the right fit…

Congratulations...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 09-26-2014, 06:54 AM

Congratulations!

They are great guitars for singers and instrumentalists alike!
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Guitars by Jason Kostal, Strings by Elixir, Gefell Mics and a nail buffer.
Old 09-26-2014, 07:14 AM

Congratulations!

My YouTube

Facebook

"Only by becoming acquainted with your own self,
can you gain the composure to write original music"

Michael Hedges ♫
Old 09-26-2014, 02:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Hi RW,

Congratulations on your new Olson. Good for you!

I find your comments very interesting because I, too, have found that my own Olson SJ works beautifully for singing with. There is something about the quality of the sound that lays a beautiful bed for a person to sing over. And the guitar never seems to get in the way of my voice.

Enjoy that lovely guitar!

- Glenn
Glenn,

Very well said indeed and my thoughts exactly.
Old 09-26-2014, 02:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billgennaro View Post
Chances are that I've played that particular guitar. Every time I go to LC I play a few of the Olsons he's got. I agree that they are great for singing over. Is yours the one with the Englemann top or one of the others with Cedar?

It's the cedar with the single fret marker at the 12th fret.

I was thinking of heading over there soon to try the few Franklins he's got in recently. What were your thoughts on those?
I was very impressed with the Frankiln OM. Of the guitars that I played my favorites were the new Franklin OM, Dudenbostel OM (Previously owned by Mike)
and the Brondels. In the best bang for your buck category definitely the Franklin and the two Brondels.
Old 09-26-2014, 02:30 PM

Quote:
I was very impressed with the Frankiln OM. Of the guitars that I played my favorites were the new Franklin OM, Dudenbostel OM (Previously owned by Mike)
and the Brondels. In the best bang for your buck category definitely the Franklin and the two Brondels.
Thanks. I agree that both of those builders could easily charge more for their guitars. I actually did buy a Brondel from Mike about a year ago. I've had a hankerin' for a Franklin though. Looks like I'll have to take a short trip over there.

Thanks again, and all the best with your new Olson.

"Accept your lot, whatever it may be, in ultimate humbleness. Accept in humbleness what you are, not as grounds for regret but as a living challenge."
Old 09-26-2014, 02:40 PM

No pics? Come on man stop teasing
Old 09-26-2014, 02:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
No pics? Come on man stop teasing
Sorry man I'm traveling. This weekend.
Old 09-26-2014, 03:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Just received my first Olson from Luthiers Collection. I was there last week and had my wife along with me. I was pretty darn convinced when I went that I really wanted a vintage pre-war style OM. Played through everything that Mike reccomended- Franklin, Circa, Blazer & Henkes, Dudenbostel, Walker, Brondel etc. (all amazing BTW). Just as I was about to leave I asked Mike to let me try an Olson. Wow, I was really taken back. Mike stated what great singer/songwriter guitars they are so I dropped it into DADGAD and began singing. I was very surprised in that it not only played and sounded remarkable but it really complimented my vocal. My wife heard the difference as well as I proceeded to A/B my vocal with several of the aforementioned guitars. Long story short my wife encouraged me to buy it and it arrived today. Needless to say I am absolutely thrilled. I will try to post some pictures this weekend.
Congratulations! Nothing better than finding that guitar which you didn't expect to be the one...be the one.

Sounds like the trip to actually go play the guitars will stand you in good stead over time. Wise choice.
Old 09-27-2014, 10:04 AM

Congratulations on your Olson SJ!

I really like the back and sides on your guitar. What a beautiful set of BRW.

Hope you enjoy it for years to come.
Old 09-27-2014, 10:20 AM

Congrats RW!
It is just incredible when your guitar finds you!!!!
Looking forward to pics.....comments.....maybe a bit of audio??
Enjoy!
Bob

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion