The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-28-2014, 10:24 AM

Same thing happened to me the other day in the acoustic room of GC. I was hearing Stairway for the first time in a guitar store and it was being played really well!

For me, I play "Blackbird".
Old 09-28-2014, 12:58 PM

Wink

This thread has me changing my opinion on S2H. Now I'm tempted to play - and sing - it in its entirety next time I'm in a GC just to make ears bleed. What guitar to use though?
Old 09-28-2014, 03:03 PM

Another time I was in GC an older grayer guy was playing Roundabout by Yes - it was like I was listening to the album - another mind-blowing talent having a good time in his local G - love it

GC teaches a lot of things, including humility...
Old 09-28-2014, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwakatak View Post
This thread has me changing my opinion on S2H. Now I'm tempted to play - and sing - it in its entirety next time I'm in a GC just to make ears bleed. What guitar to use though?
Well to be true to the recorded version, you'd have to use several, so why not go all out. Believe it or not, the solo was done with a Telecaster, which he pretty much recorded the whole first album with. (He used it less over time, but chose it for the Stairway solo when recording it.)

2018 Taylor 812ce 12-fret DLX
2016 Taylor GS Mini-e Koa
Old 09-28-2014, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarsan View Post
Well to be true to the recorded version, you'd have to use several, so why not go all out. Believe it or not, the solo was done with a Telecaster, which he pretty much recorded the whole first album with. (He used it less over time, but chose it for the Stairway solo when recording it.)
I was thinking of just doing the version from The Song Remains The Same - but there has to be a Gibson ES-1275 (IIRC the model number correctly) hanging on the wall so that I do the "acoustic" parts and the 6 for the power chords toward the end. Truth be told the solo evades me.
Old 09-28-2014, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwakatak View Post
Truth be told the solo evades me.
I've been working on it some as a diversion sporadically. Ironically, the very first bend with vibrato is tough to pull off like Page does it. The rest not so bad. Almost like he planned it that way to demoralize the amateurs right from the start haha.

2018 Taylor 812ce 12-fret DLX
2016 Taylor GS Mini-e Koa
Old 09-28-2014, 05:37 PM

I never tried to learn the song at any time. But, I have played parts of it before just goofing off. I see nothing wrong with the song and enjoy listening to it and I like it. There are many more songs I enjoy listening to and playing as well, but if I do not like a song, I steer away from it. There are so many songs out there, it is only expected that some people will enjoy some of them while others will cringe as soon as they hear the first note. I am so glad we have such a large number and style of songs before us to meet our own individual fancy.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion