The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-30-2014, 08:25 PM

Default sound ports

I have one with a port - and like it. It is indeed easier for the player to hear and as far as I can tell,; the audience does not hear less as a result. We did some experiments at the Montreal show a few years back which confirmed this observation. Granted that was not a controlled experiment and it was certainly not under ideal conditions. But we don't always get ideal conditions when we play either.

To my way of thinking, you have nothing to lose - and stand to gain. The only reasons I see not to use a sound port would be money or if you did not like the looks.

They are normally placed on the upper bout, upper side where they are closer to the player's ear and not hidden by his right arm. Any other location would make less sense to me.

That said, do not expect to hear huge changes. But they are definitely easily discernible.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
…They are normally placed on the upper bout, upper side where they are closer to the player's ear and not hidden by his right arm. Any other location would make less sense to me.
Hi TBR...

I played one of these and was surprised how easily it was heard (and my arm was nowhere near covering it).

It is a creation of Gerald Sheppard - luthier.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 07-30-2014, 08:40 PM

I put one in my Martin OM. Used a Dremel, some files and lots of sandpaper. It really makes playing this guitar a more rewarding experience. I can hear all the details in the high end much more clearly. This has helped to bring a more refined touch to my playing.

The guitar simply sounds better to me from a playing position it than it did before. YMMV.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billgennaro View Post
I'm sure there are those that sound fine, but every one that I've ever played sounded equivalent to putting my ear next to the top's sound hole. I didn't particularly enjoy it. That being said, its been a long time since I played one and I'm sure the technology has gotten better. Many people on this forum seem to think they're great. I can see where they would be useful in certain situations, but I personally don't have any reason for a sound port.

Bill
my experience as well.

And it's not technology. It is there to blast the sound at your ear. I find it deceptive, and annoying, but... To each his own
Martin '11 D Mahogany (FSC) Golden Era type
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
Yamaha '72 G-170A (Japanese solid top)
Garcia '67 Model 3
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden
Old 07-30-2014, 09:59 PM
Get off my lawn kid

I put soundports in both my Seagull Folk and Washburn D-10S. Both guitars seem louder and fuller to my ears.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 07-30-2014, 11:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cke View Post
…I find it deceptive…
Hi cke...

Not challenging, just asking (and I realize I'm quoting it out of context).

What did you mean by "I find it deceptive…"?

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 07-30-2014, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi cke...

Not challenging, just asking (and I realize I'm quoting it out of context).

What did you mean by "I find it deceptive…"?

Hi.
What I mean is it baths the player in lush loud sound, kind of like laying your ear on the upper bout (I sometimes did that as a teen to revel in just that effect).
The deception is that it gives an illusion that that is what the audience hears, but it does nothing to change what the audience hears. It's sensual, sure. I sold my Cargo because it bugged me that the sound in my left ear was too loud due to the displaced sound hole.The effect do a sound port is even more pronounced, and the tones exaggerated.
Martin '11 D Mahogany (FSC) Golden Era type
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
Yamaha '72 G-170A (Japanese solid top)
Garcia '67 Model 3
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden
Old 07-31-2014, 12:04 AM
Charter Member

Of the guitars I played with side ports I did not care for having the sound directed at me via the port and I did not like the look. YMMV

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 07-31-2014, 01:33 AM

If it works for you, go for it. Aesthetically, they just don't appeal to me but neither do cutaways on acoustic guitars or acoustic guitars that plug in. Out of ten acoustic guitars I have two that plug in and one cutaway (one being a cutaway that plugs in, a twofer), and those are both because I liked them enough that I was willing to overlook those details. I have never been dissatisfied with the sound of any of my guitars from the player side, and the guitars that I HAVE played with sound ports, although not at all disappointing, were distracting.

I think Bohemian's remarks are more opinion than fact. Folks who like soundports are going to buy guitars with them, have them installed, or install them DIY. Like plug in acoustics or cutaways, it's a matter of personal preference. I'm pretty sure they aren't going away.

Play what you like and like what you play. Whatever you think helps you make beautiful music is what counts. Been pickin' since 1959, and one great truth I have learned since then is that one size DOES NOT fit all, and, man, have there been a lot of changes in acoustic guitars in the last 55 years.

Play on. . .

Last edited by dawhealer; 07-31-2014 at 01:44 AM.
Old 07-31-2014, 01:55 AM

I can hear better with the sound port opened. Makes a big difference especially on archtops with f-holes.
And i can choose to close it.

Old 07-31-2014, 02:50 AM

My next guitar WILL have a soundport...

I played one in a store last year for the first time. While I played, the salesman alternated between covering the soundport with his hand and removed it. The difference was quite remarkable.

I think it gives the player a truer picture of the sound that the audience in front is hearing. Definitely having one on my next guitar.
▌····║··(░)▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█████··
▐·······▄▄··▄▌··········ΦΦΦ···
·▀▀▄▄▄▀▀··▀▀··················
······························

» My name is Devan
» Guitar and Personal Blog.
» Guitar and Gear Review Site.
Old 07-31-2014, 03:53 AM

I'd certainly like to play a guitar with a soundport never having tried one so far. If nothing else it gives you another way out for that errant plectrum...
Old 07-31-2014, 12:33 PM
Charter Member

Both of my guitars have soundports; built in as part of the guitar's design, not added afterwards.

From my understanding, bass tends to eminate in all directions from the guitar, but the high frequencies tend to mainly project forward. Much of the highs that the player hears are reflections. The port can act like a monitor to direct more of the frequency spectrum to the player. It can be helpful in group playing or when on stage without monitors in a fairly dead room. For me they are very beneficial. I have high freq hearing loss, and wear hearing aids. Without the port I hear an imbalanced bass heavy sound. The port keeps me from leaning over the guitar to hear what's coming off the top.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 07-31-2014, 02:09 PM

"It is there to blast the sound at your ear. I find it deceptive, and annoying, but... To each his own"

Add to that, compromises structure and is an aesthetic abomination.

My opinion.
Old 07-31-2014, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlos View Post
Whats your experiences with guitars with sound ports? Do you own a guitar with a soundport? Can you live without it after getting used to it? I recently got to play a guitar with a nice wide sound port and I couldn't put it down . I may eventually add one to one of my guitars. Also what is the difference if the sound port is on the upper and lower part of the body?
I have only played two guitars with sound ports and I think they work well.

Here is the one on my Custom Brook Lyn:

Phil Taylor

'Rivers and Trees' - April 2021. https://philiptaylor1.bandcamp.com/a...vers-and-trees

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNx...0XtP04PcL8HN4Q

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion