The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-29-2014, 07:36 AM

Default DR Dragon skin on GS Mini - my thoughts

I got a couple of sets cheap while Elderly's had a sale, hoping they will come close to sound and longevity of elixirs (both of which I love). It's too early to speak about longevity, but so far I'm not very impressed with the sound. Elixirs are brighter and richer sounding, while these are warmer and kind of more "fundamental" sounding. Reminds me of switching from Taylor to Martin. Feels like mini lost some of it liveliness with these.

On the bright (poor choice of word) side, they do feel a bit better than elixir. Slightly less tension and feeling of regular strings without too much squeak or friction under fingers.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:55 AM

I don't own a GS Mini but I use the Dragon Skins to tame guitars that are a bit too bright sounding (at least for my taste). I absolutely agree with your description.

My first set of strings has lasted for two months, and it still sounds great. Although I like the Elixirs, I agree that they are very different from the Dragon Skins. While I prefer the feel of the Dragon Skins I can't complain about the Elixirs.

I currently use the Elixir HD 80/20 lights on my E10SS, and the Dragon Skins (PB) on my AC322CE. They sound great on my guitars.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion