The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-28-2014, 12:59 PM

I don't know about the bridge plate, just that they switched from maple to rosewood and hence they all sounded like crap when I was comparing to buy. I found a D35 and D28 at High st Music in West Chester Pa. and of course the 28 was crisper and louder . What a lucky man I am. This instrument has had some repairs recently and sounds so good I cannot stop playing and learning.
When they pry it from my cold hands somebody will find a wonderful player!
Old 09-28-2014, 01:15 PM

to be honest, i often wonder if the whole rosewood bridgeplate thing isn't just some overblown internet drama? i mean, of course it will sound different to a maple bridge plater, but worse? that's in the ear of the behearer, surely?

and like i said, the mid 70s d-28 i played recently, at a shop in shin-okubo, tokyo, staffed by a very knowledgable salesman who happily admitted to the so called "defect", sounded absolutely stunning!

and james, what you say in your final sentence is a beautiful sentiment. the idea that these machines will last long after we have left this world, and will continue to make music, is mindblowing to me
Old 09-28-2014, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickoid_1 View Post
I liked that song a lot. It has a major early 70's west coast country rock vibe. Like late period Byrds or the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band. Oh, and nice guitars, too.
Quote:
By the way great dubbing and harmonizing "salt Creek"
I forget that maybe that song isn't known to all acoustic guitar players...

That was "Go & Say Goodbye", written by Stephen Stills and recorded by his band "The Buffalo Springfield" released on their self titled LP in 1966. I've been doing that song since it was new...

I'm glad you enjoyed it. It was often the closing song in my shows and that recording was the closing song on my last CD.
Old 09-28-2014, 02:01 PM

Default straight braced

I'm a lover of the straight braced Martin "D". Did you ever stop to think "I'm listening to the sound a recording engineer wants me to hear"? Play it, then decide, you decide, not some lost soul on a forum whom you can blame for his opinion for your decision!
Old 09-28-2014, 03:13 PM
Guest 1928

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan daniels View Post
to be honest, i often wonder if the whole rosewood bridgeplate thing isn't just some overblown internet drama? i mean, of course it will sound different to a maple bridge plater, but worse? that's in the ear of the behearer, surely?
We were cursing those large IRW bridge plates long before the internet. IMO some guitars sound good in spite of them, not because of them. Of course some individual may prefer anything you can think of, but generally, most people prefer the maple bridge plates.

And remember we're not just talking about the difference between maple and rosewood, it's size and weight as well. The original maple plate was 1 3/8" wide where the later large IRW plate was 3 1/4" wide, and triangular so the total size was about 4x the original.

When Martin first switched to rosewood, it was BRW and the same size as maple. I can't tell much difference and don't know anyone who routinely changes those. I have heard a lot of 70's Martins before and after changing to a smaller maple or black locust plate and the guitar is always louder and livelier afterward.
Old 09-28-2014, 03:17 PM

love all the great pics and posts, thanks
Old 09-28-2014, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydave View Post
I forget that maybe that song isn't known to all acoustic guitar players...

That was "Go & Say Goodbye", written by Stephen Stills and recorded by his band "The Buffalo Springfield" released on their self titled LP in 1966. I've been doing that song since it was new...

I'm glad you enjoyed it. It was often the closing song in my shows and that recording was the closing song on my last CD.
I have been actively avoiding most anything to do with Neil Young for many years, which is why I've never gotten into Buffalo Springfield. But, at least I nailed the vibe...
Old 09-28-2014, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickoid_1 View Post
I have been actively avoiding most anything to do with Neil Young for many years
For what reason?

When you write, you wouldn’t just throw words into a bowl. There has to be a beginning, middle and end. Same thing with phrasing on the guitar"

Jimmie Vaughan
Old 09-29-2014, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hovishead View Post
For what reason?
I didn't intend to bash Neil Young, I just don't like his music. Sorry for the irrelevant comment.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion