The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-27-2014, 09:00 PM

Default Taylor Custom/BTO Pricing Help

What do you guys think is a good price to pay for one of these?
They are both new:
https://reverb.com/item/123810-taylo...escription-tab

And

https://reverb.com/item/146727-taylo...e#policies-tab

Like if i priced these up using a taylor BTO retail price list like this one: http://www.tobiasmusic.com/Custom%20...0Worksheet.pdf

How much of a discount can be had off the retail prices?
Taylor: GS Mini
Maton: 225
Traveler Guitar: Escape Mark III
Epiphone: 220
Old 09-27-2014, 09:09 PM

Tell ya what... it's only two hours away... you pay for it I will go pick it up for you and make sure it is okay.

My site: Personal Blog

Yamaha LL16R-12 L Series A.R.E.
Yamaha FG-75
Fender CF 60 CE
Ibanez AF75TDG
Epiphone Les Paul Std PlusPRO
Eastman MB515 Mando
Yamaha YPT230 Keyboard
Old 09-27-2014, 09:29 PM

I don't know if you are set on new or used, but Vancebo has a very nice-looking 2012 Adirondack/cocobolo BTO GS in the classifieds. ( I realize the two you reference in the original posts were grand auditoriums) Last I checked, asking price was $3500. I have no affiliation with the seller; just thought it was a really nice guitar.
Old 09-28-2014, 06:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusSi View Post
What do you guys think is a good price to pay for one of these?
They are both new:
https://reverb.com/item/123810-taylo...escription-tab

And

https://reverb.com/item/146727-taylo...e#policies-tab

Like if i priced these up using a taylor BTO retail price list like this one: http://www.tobiasmusic.com/Custom%20...0Worksheet.pdf

How much of a discount can be had off the retail prices?
Approximately no more than 40% off retail.
Lindsay Marcus D - Sitka/Madi RW

Gone But Not Forgotten
Tom Sands Model S (Crystal) - Italian/Fiddleback Hog
Old 09-28-2014, 07:07 AM

Haha thanks kip, but i think ill be ok getting it shipped direct.

Cheers gotgas, will run over and check that out now, just for the hell of it, but as you mentioned I am looking at smaller bodies guitars.

Great, appreciate that pandaroo. will start the negotiations somewhere around there. I don't want to rip anyone off, just want to make sure I am getting a good deal.
Old 09-28-2014, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusSi View Post
Haha thanks kip, but i think ill be ok getting it shipped direct.

Cheers gotgas, will run over and check that out now, just for the hell of it, but as you mentioned I am looking at smaller bodies guitars.

Great, appreciate that pandaroo. will start the negotiations somewhere around there. I don't want to rip anyone off, just want to make sure I am getting a good deal.
Check with Ted at LA guitar. Both of the guitars listed are high for what they are in my opinion.
Old 09-28-2014, 08:37 AM

I wouldn't pay anywhere near $5K for the first one - it will lose a lot of money once it goes used. The second one seems like a better deal, but I bet you can get them into the $3K's. Keep in mind that used cocobolo Taylors can be had for well under $3K and sometimes close to $2K.

Also, if you know what's out there and you're still set on a $5000 Taylor, that's totally fine. If you don't know what's out there, then I encourage you to play some Goodall, Collings, Bourgeois, Froggy Bottom, Huss & Dalton, and others before you make up your mind. $5K opens up a very big world of options!
Old 09-28-2014, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGS View Post
I wouldn't pay anywhere near $5K for the first one - it will lose a lot of money once it goes used. The second one seems like a better deal, but I bet you can get them into the $3K's. Keep in mind that used cocobolo Taylors can be had for well under $3K and sometimes close to $2K.

Also, if you know what's out there and you're still set on a $5000 Taylor, that's totally fine. If you don't know what's out there, then I encourage you to play some Goodall, Collings, Bourgeois, Froggy Bottom, Huss & Dalton, and others before you make up your mind. $5K opens up a very big world of options!
I agree with everything in Jesse's post. Up to a certain price point, Taylor's have been the guitars I have gravitated towards. Above that point; if I am ever able to spend that, I will be shopping around. Good luck in your search.
Old 09-28-2014, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGS View Post

Never understood the logic of suggesting pizza to someone asking about hamburger.

When I decided to buy my new Yukon a "friend" suggested I buy a used Escalade instead. As it happens his brother owns a used car dealership in North Hollywood.
Old 09-28-2014, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyFrank View Post
Never understood the logic of suggesting pizza to someone asking about hamburger.

When I decided to buy my new Yukon a "friend" suggested I buy a used Escalade instead. As it happens his brother owns a used car dealership in North Hollywood.
Haha, I see whatcha did there.

If telling hamburger people about pizza is taboo, then I'm pretty sure the AGF shouldn't exist And the "logic" is quite simple, now that you mention it. If this guy knows about those other brands and still wants his Taylor, then that's great. If not, then we just potentially opened up his world and did him a great service. Whether he buys a guitar from me is pretty irrelevant.
Old 09-29-2014, 06:53 AM

Thanks guys, appreciate the advice, actually I played over 200 high end guitars in the last two days and though I agree there are better guitars than the Taylor (especially Froggy's wow there exceptional) all the ones that I REALLY loved were more in the 8-12k retail price range.

If I do get this Taylor I would be hoping to score it for around 4k and for that money, nothing I played stuck in my head more for the three days since.

Quote:

Thanks for sticking up for me any my Taylor decision Andy, loved the analogy too

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion