The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-28-2014, 03:29 AM

Default gs mini koa fltd 2014

Hi all. I have been interested in getting a small guitar and this gs mini looks gorgeous. I know it's a bit too early but would like to know how it compares with traditional gs mini. thx!
Old 09-28-2014, 06:17 AM

Haven't had the chance to get my hands on one to play yet, but expect mine next week. At the moment I have 3 GS Minis and there is a substantial difference between the mahogany and spruce tops. I would expect the Koa to be closer to the mahogany.
Ome Wizard banjo
Deering Eagle II Openback banjo

Full Time RVer mainly in California & Arizona
Old 09-28-2014, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemcg View Post
At the moment I have 3 GS Minis
Sorry to go on slight tangent, how do you feel about the HV compared to the mini-e RW? I have the RW and contemplating selling it to get the HV.

Also can't wait to see and try the Koa, looks great and if its similar to the mahogany, then sold because I've been holding off getting one of those and the Koa might push it over the edge as I don't have a Koa guitar.
Old 09-28-2014, 11:31 AM

I tried out the koa for the frist time yesterday and it sounded surprisingly thin. It didn't sustain well at all and I was pretty disappointed. My vote goes out to a spruce top mini
Old 09-28-2014, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakotaco View Post
I tried out the koa for the frist time yesterday and it sounded surprisingly thin. It didn't sustain well at all and I was pretty disappointed. My vote goes out to a spruce top mini
Same thing should hold true as it is for most Koa guitars.....age and play will improve the sound probably more than any other wood. If you need immediate gratification Koa may not be for everyone's ear. My 424ce sounded nice when I first got it and over the years has just gotten better.

Taylor 424ce SL
Emerald X20 purple weave
Emerald X20 gold weave
Taylor NS34ce
Taylor T5X
Composite Acoustic OX Raw (Peavey)
Rainsong OM
Breedlove Pro C25/CRH
Prestige Eclipse Spruce/Mahogany
Voyage Air VAOM-1C (2)
Baden D style Mahogany
Journey Instruments Spruce/Mahogany
Journey Instruments OF660
Recording King ROA-9 Bakersfield Limited
Mogabi 200
Old 09-28-2014, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoloff View Post
Same thing should hold true as it is for most Koa guitars.....age and play will improve the sound probably more than any other wood. If you need immediate gratification Koa may not be for everyone's ear. My 424ce sounded nice when I first got it and over the years has just gotten better.
thx all for your opinions. about how long does it take for koa to "open up"?
Old 09-29-2014, 02:17 AM

I had the hog top mini. I bought the koa top and my daughter has the mini RW. My koa top sounds just a bit mellower than my daughters spruce top. The hog top and the koa top were actually really close in tone. I sold the hog top so I won't be able to compare them after they've aged.
I may have gotten lucky with my koa so your mileage may vary

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion