The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-28-2014, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mds08 View Post
I have always wanted a D18, to cherish, carry around, wear out the top, and pass it on to my kids. Never happened, I was crazy about the way they sounded. Fast forward 20 years, started playing more and I got a Taylor. The D18 sound was still nice to me but I was looking at the GE or the Vintage, then Martin answered my prayers and came out with the new D18 and WOW. I played about six before I found mine. It was perfect for me. For $1800 bucks out the door, I was sold. Get you one and you will see.
18 Benjamins? That sounds like a hell of a deal.

1977 Martin M-38
1982 Stelling Staghorn
2013 Larrivée D-40R
2014 Andrew White Eos 1011 (sold)
2016 Pisgah Possum
Old 09-28-2014, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacks Focus View Post
18 Benjamins? That sounds like a hell of a deal.
Yep. Winter Sounds in Glouster Virginia. He is hundreds less on Taylors and Martins.
Old 09-28-2014, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guit3090 View Post
Would a guitar center have the new D-18? Some people are really emphatic about them.
depends on which one. The really big ones will probably have one but most guitar centers dont carry them in my experience
Old 09-28-2014, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleman52 View Post
depends on which one. The really big ones will probably have one but most guitar centers dont carry them in my experience
Same here. I have seen one and it was an older version. I see lots of d28 and 35's. I personally would buy from a vendor on agf or a mom and pop store. GC sells them for 2300 bucks. Got mine for $1800.
Old 09-28-2014, 12:00 PM

Default How is the redesigned D-18 selling compared to the older version?

So does anybody know estimated unit sales of the D-18 before and after the redesign?
2002 Martin HD-28
2000 Larrivee Parlor P-01
1976 Guild D35 SB
Blueridge BR-43

"I just want one more guitar..."
Old 09-28-2014, 12:07 PM
Guest 1928

Quote:
Originally Posted by db25364 View Post
So does anybody know estimated unit sales of the D-18 before and after the redesign?
One Martin employee told me the sales of the new D-18 is "very strong", but I didn't ask for numbers.
Old 09-28-2014, 05:06 PM

Besides GC and Harry's (and Sam Ash, I suppose) I can't think who else currently carries Martin guitars in Raleigh. Fat Sound used to but they went under.

I bought my D-18 at Harry's back when they first came out and you couldn't find one to buy without a wait. I believe he sold every one he stocked in the store for a year or two. I'm sure it's cooled down some since it's introduction, but my impression was that the new D-18 was one of the most sought after Martin models up until the introduction of the CEO-7 which is now the one everyone is talking about.

Raleigh GC has had several D-18s come in and get sold in the past year or so as well.

As others have mentioned, not a lot of $2,000 acoustic guitars getting sold anywhere the past couple of years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by db25364 View Post
Actually most stores don't carry them around the Raleigh, NC area. When I ask, the sales people have told me they don't sell many 18 models. That's what made me wonder how they are doing overall.

Hear my original music at: https://www.reverbnation.com/judsonhair
Old 09-28-2014, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judson View Post
Besides GC and Harry's (and Sam Ash, I suppose) I can't think who else currently carries Martin guitars in Raleigh. Fat Sound used to but they went under.

I bought my D-18 at Harry's back when they first came out and you couldn't find one to buy without a wait. I believe he sold every one he stocked in the store for a year or two. I'm sure it's cooled down some since it's introduction, but my impression was that the new D-18 was one of the most sought after Martin models up until the introduction of the CEO-7 which is now the one everyone is talking about.

Raleigh GC has had several D-18s come in and get sold in the past year or so as well.

As others have mentioned, not a lot of $2,000 acoustic guitars getting sold anywhere the past couple of years.
I'm with Judson. I have seen them at GC on Capital from time to time. I know Don's in Greensboro carries them (though that's a drive). Surprised Harry's hasn't had any, but then again, I'm not downtown enough to know. Perhaps they come and go between visits?

If you yell Harry you're intersted, I'd wager he'd bring one in. Not likely that model would stay in the rack too long.
Old 09-28-2014, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwakatak View Post
In the spirit of the OP I would love to hear some hard facts from actual vendors. Even though I concur with the sentiments expressed so far it 's all opinion and frankly good advertising.
You did, MFG chimed in.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion