The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-28-2014, 07:12 AM

I still don't care for them. They're bulky and don't have a good attack. For me anyway. Maybe I need to get a couple of good ones and work on the tip/bevel until I can get a nice crisp attack, then just force myself to play with it until I adjust to the awkward feel of the things. The roadblock to that is I'm perfectly happy with 1 mm in something like a Clayton Ultem or, better still, Tusq picks, where I get an unbending, precise control in a thickness that feels right in my hand and has a crisper attack. Well, unless I turn the Tusq pick to the rounded corner, then it sounds like one of those thick picks.

Warning: Tusq picks get gnarly with play and demand a bit of pre-gig maintenance with an emery board. The Claytons don't sound quite as crisp, but the only get better slowly wearing in a pocketful of change. My best Claytons lost all their print long ago.

P
Old 09-28-2014, 07:16 AM
Charter Member

I've only ever played fingerstyle, but getting into flatpicking and jazz runs I've taken to fat picks, currently 1.5mm gravity sunshine and similar bob colossi buffalo horn as mentioned in another thread, both inexpensive. I think fat picks are a good transition from fingerstyle, not all that different tonally, with more speed volume and lots of technique to play around with...
Schecter California Classic Strat 1990s
Old 09-28-2014, 01:23 PM

I started thin, using a .35mm nylon pick and pinching it between my thumb and middle finger. After receiving a mandolin as a college graduation gift, I began taking lessons with a local hotshot who immediately noticed my pick grip and told me to get a hold of Mike Marshall's instructional DVD. Thank God for that teacher and Mr. Marshall. My grip was changed, my eyes and ears were opened and I became able to use a variety of different thicknesses to different ends. I've gone as thick as 2.0mm and still like the D'Andrea Pro Plec 1.5mm rounded triangles, but my "do all-be all" plectrum is now a Blue Chip TD40. I can dig in whether flatpicking or strumming, or use it lightly on the bass strings while brushing the treble strings with my bare fingertips.
Old 09-28-2014, 01:58 PM
Guest 1928

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouthy1 View Post
What are the picks in the picture Todd? I know the BC but not the others.
BC's on the bottom, Dunlop 207 on the upper left, with the other two being tortoiseshell.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion