The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-22-2014, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inadu ridge View Post
This Country Western is a loud guitar and is feather-light. I think that starting around 66 or 67 Gibson started building the CW, SJ, and Hummingbird models a bit on the heavier side, although there are some killer guitars from that period up until 1970 when things went south in a hurry.
This CW has the 1 11/16 nut width and a comparatively thicker neck profile, much thicker than my 1964 J-45 which has the pencil thin neck with 1 5/8 nut.
Gibson went to a heavier top bracing in 1968. But those ADJ bidges which became standard in 1961 and oversized bridge plates that would qualify as a piece of furniture which popped up in the middle of the decade weigh about three times more than the standard maple bridge plate and rosewood bridge.

Never seen a J-45 made before 1965 that had a nut that narrow. The standard from 1947 on was 1 11/16". The change in both nut width and headstock angle coincided with a re-tooling in 1965 when new automatic neck machines were purchased. Made those 1960s necks which were already skinny feel even skimpier. But you will find both 1 11/16" and 1 9/16" nuts on the SJ/C&W in '65.
Old 09-22-2014, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Play2PraiseHim View Post
The neck size/shape and the cash savings is what made me go with a recent TV model over a 60's true vintage .
The neck profile is what would make me go with a Bozeman guitar rather than an original was well.

But you also will not get the same sound as originals as the 1960s HBs had non-scallop top bracing while all of the Bozeman versions have their standard scalloped bracing.

And that is another reason why I went for the TV. I don't use a pick at all and I like to fingerpick as well as strum. I have a lighter touch so the lighter scalloped bracing works best for me. This is also the reason that I sold my wonderful Modern Classic Hummingbird in favor of the TV.

Like the Modern Classic, I bet those original 60's Hummingbirds shine under a pick and with a heavier attack.
I'm sure they pack a lot of punch and probably project a bit more. Makes me question why Gibson did not make the Bozeman Era TV versions true to original specs. I know the thin narrow neck/nut width would not have went over well. Maybe they figured the straight bracing wouldn't do well either .

So if we were thinking along the Martin line in dreadnought bracing , I guess the 60's original Hummingbirds would be like a straight braced D-28,the Modern Classic like the scalloped braced HD-28, and the TV like the lighter scalloped braced D-35 .

I know a Martin and a Gibson are worlds apart, I'm just talking bracing patterns.

I for one am glad that for the variety in such a classic , iconic design.

Last edited by Play2PraiseHim; 09-22-2014 at 06:49 PM.
Old 09-22-2014, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post

Never seen a J-45 made before 1965 that had a nut that narrow. The standard from 1947 on was 1 11/16". The change in both nut width and headstock angle coincided with a re-tooling in 1965 when new automatic neck machines were purchased. Made those 1960s necks which were already skinny feel even skimpier. But you will find both 1 11/16" and 1 9/16" nuts on the SJ/C&W in '65.
You are correct, I measured it and it is 1 11/16. It just feels different than the CW. And looking at the headstock angles, they are different.

Am I correct that the CW/SJ are basically the same guitar as the Hummingbird? Bracing etc. the same?
Thanks
1967 Guild D-50 (Hoboken, NJ)
1975 Guild D-25 M (Westerly, RI)
2001 Tacoma DM9 (Tacoma, WA)
2003 Martin D-18GE (Nazareth, PA
)

"Oh, What a life a mess can be!" - Uncle Tupelo
Old 09-22-2014, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inadu ridge View Post
You are correct, I measured it and it is 1 11/16. It just feels different than the CW. And looking at the headstock angles, they are different.

Am I correct that the CW/SJ are basically the same guitar as the Hummingbird? Bracing etc. the same?
Thanks

The thing is it is not like Gibson changed specs at the stroke of midnight on January 1. Sometimes the changes took place later in the year and there is generally some overlap so you will run into guitars like a 1955 SJ with the new pickguard style but the old scallop bracing.

If the necks on the '64 and '65 feel different it might be that the '65 has a 1 9/16" nut. Again, you will find Gibsons made in 1965 with both nut widths.

And Yeah, the C&W was pretty much a natural top HB with different tuner buttons and pickguard.
Old 09-23-2014, 05:34 AM

Default Brazilian Rosewood Fretboards?

Does anyone know if Gibson used Brazilian rosewood fretboards and bridges on Hummingbirds? If so, when was it discontinued? My '68 appears to be East Indian rosewood. Thanks...
Old 09-23-2014, 06:09 AM

Default Gibson Hummingbird best years for vintage specimens?

I have seen maybe 2 60's models Hummingbirds that had maple back and sides.
I am curious to know the history behind these maple Birds. Were they custom orders ?
Old 09-23-2014, 02:28 PM

For whatever reason Gibson apparently made a few bartches of maple body HBs in 1962 and 1963.
Old 09-27-2014, 03:38 PM

Default thank you for great replies and knowledge in bunches!

I guess I will look into the CW model. But also seems like it will be best to be able to hear and play it before buying one (online), as they can come in several variations? That is though a difficult situation to come by in Denmark, and even Europe I suppose. Anybody knows the best acoustic vintage stores in the US? I would love to visit such a place next time I visit.
Regarding the CW are there any years that stands out, delivering a nice wide neck and great bracing to accompany it?

One guy asked for a picture:

Btw I just put Thomastik Infield Plectrum strings on my Hummingbird today. I usually hate new strings, as i like when strings are played warm. But I must say these sounds and feels really promising! I have played al kinds of strings, but a year ago I was introduced to Thomastic Spectrums. I have played those since and prefer them to all other strings I've come across, but trying the Plectrums they seem like strings I must recommend.

Again thank you for all the great response!
Cheers
Old 09-27-2014, 07:10 PM

NielsNiels, be aware that the Country Western was a slope-shoulder guitar (like a J-50) before 1962 and became a square shoulder model similar to a Hummingbird in 1962. The nut width was 1 11/16" until 1965 when Gibson made CWs with both 1 11/16" and 1 9/16".
1967 Guild D-50 (Hoboken, NJ)
1975 Guild D-25 M (Westerly, RI)
2001 Tacoma DM9 (Tacoma, WA)
2003 Martin D-18GE (Nazareth, PA
)

"Oh, What a life a mess can be!" - Uncle Tupelo
Old 09-28-2014, 12:56 PM

thx inadu ridge! i suppose I'm on the lookout for a 1962-65 Country Western. I just measured mine and it is 1 9/16 (around 3,9cm).

Last edited by NielsNiels; 09-28-2014 at 01:09 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion