The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 05-04-2024, 03:42 PM

Default For folks playing in the style of Michael Hedges, a question...

I'm starting to learn some songs in this style and I find that I often pull notes sharp when I'm hammering on from my picking hand

For folks who play in this style, (a) have you run into that and, if so, (b) have string gauge or action made a difference for you?

I know one answer is just practice not being so ham-handed, but if there's a cheat code that would help in the short term, I'm all for it.
Old 05-04-2024, 03:49 PM

I've listened to much of Michael's work, but haven't tried to play much of it. But I can't imagine his exact technique made strings act differently than many players I have spent time studying. In that light, I'd submit that there is no real "cheat code" and you nailed it when you said "just practice."
Old 05-04-2024, 05:01 PM

Back in the late Eighties, I played around a bit trying to emulate his approach.

I had the same experience with notes sounding sharp.
I realized that my touch was far too heavy.

A combination of low action and medium strings seemed to be the requirement. Low action to ensure that minimal force was needed, and medium strings so there would be less stretching when sounding a note.

Ultimately I decided that it wasn't going to be something I dabbled in, but needed to immerse myself in. So I bailed.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 05-04-2024, 08:01 PM

I studied Aerial Boundaries and Rickover's Dream for several years. Ragamuffin is still a favorite - standard tune for me for decades (perhaps being that i always had a gtr in dadgad around).

Ya certainly there are material/technique requirements. Mostly i recall strength and endurance for clean execution - I'm a drummer, so much of that was intuitive. The pedals, drones and big resonances led me into playing lever ("celtic") harp, Chinese guzheng, and other things..sometimes i hear these in Hedges' music, but i digress.

Last edited by catt; 05-04-2024 at 08:38 PM.
Old 05-05-2024, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Currie View Post

A combination of low action and medium strings seemed to be the requirement. Low action to ensure that minimal force was needed, and medium strings so there would be less stretching when sounding a note.

Yeah, I recently did a setup on two guitars with 12s and I think after accounting for the dropped tunings I'll take one of them back to 13s at a minimum.

In the meantime, back to slappin' sharp!
Old 05-05-2024, 05:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0x00feef00 View Post
I'm starting to learn some songs in this style and I find that I often pull notes sharp when I'm hammering on from my picking hand

For folks who play in this style, (a) have you run into that and, if so, (b) have string gauge or action made a difference for you?

I know one answer is just practice not being so ham-handed, but if there's a cheat code that would help in the short term, I'm all for it.
Do you play amplified?
As you probably know, he combined a magnetic pickup in the soundhole with a couple of strategically placed (he was very meticulous) soundboard transducers. (FRAP).
That would certainly help to minimize the tendency to slap the frets too hard, and also come closer to his sound.

I'm pretty sure he used to medium strings on his D-28, but he tweaked things to his preference.
Practicing the technique is obviously very important. Even he hit some sharp ones during some live performances of Aerial Boundaries.
A good guitar setup is also key, but mostly just practicing the technique on an amplified guitar, and using you ears to evaluate or gauge the right amount of force to use will help you greatly. Boundaries is a good one to use. Just take and isolate certain passages from that tune to work on. Getting those to work will mean that you've dialed in the right amount of slap force to use.
If you get his music from the Stropes editions, which I heartily recommend, there are some valuable hints provided in there that clarify how Hedges achieved some of those effects.
Good luck in your efforts, and enjoy the practice!

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write