The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-07-2013, 11:00 AM

Default Who else like thicker picks?

Been playing for three years now. Started out with picks that flapped in the wind they were so thin. Than use some .75mm picks for about a year and a half age. Six months ago I went to Gravity 1.1 mm picks. I think that's what I'm go to stay with; anything less now sounds think to me.

Are 1.1mm picks considered thick or just medium?
Old 09-07-2013, 11:09 AM

I use heavy picks 90% of the time (Fender Heavy) and mandolin picks (JazzMando 1.5 mm). Heavy for me is any pick that has little to no flex if I try to gently bend it in my hand. I have tried even heavier picks (2.0 mm) but find them to sound brittle to me.

Blackbird Lucky 13
Old 09-07-2013, 11:15 AM
Guest 1928

I started on thick picks when I took up mandolin, but soon found I liked them better for everything. Control and tone are greatly improved IMO.

Old 09-07-2013, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Yates View Post
I started on thick picks when I took up mandolin, but soon found I liked them better for everything. Control and tone are greatly improved IMO.

Nice looking picks.
Old 09-07-2013, 11:26 AM

I've used Fender thins (and their clones) since the mid '60s...and will probably continue to. Not a thick-pick fan.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 09-07-2013, 11:27 AM
Charter Member

Do you mostly strum or flatpick?

I think a thinner pick works best for strumming...my favorites are the Dunlop Gator Grips in 0.58 or 0.73. If I go nylon which flex more for a given thickness, then I'll go to 0.90 or 1.0. But the Gator Grips give me that crispness in tone which I prefer.
Old 09-07-2013, 11:28 AM
Charter Member

Started trying out thicker picks about a year ago myself after using Fender Heavy's for years on my electrics. Really able to tweak your tone with them in my experience. My favorites so far are the Dunlop 207 and 208 (pointy tip) and the Dunlop Ultex 2mm jazz. Been trying some buffalo horn and cassein tortoise copies (like the JP Turtles), but they just haven't liked them enough to start paying the extra $$$ for them over the thick Dunlops. Haven't ventured into the Wegen and Blue Chip world yet, but am a solid believer in the thicker pick at this point...
Old 09-07-2013, 11:29 AM

I've evolved over time, now my prefered thickness is somewhere between 1.5 mm and 1.8 mm. Perfect for flatpicking, although it's taken a while for me to learn how to get a nice smooth strum. I prefer the slightly thinner 1.5 for strumming now, and the 1.8 for flatpicking.

FWIW, my favorite picks are home-beveled D'Andrea Pro Plecs, and homemade picks made from a sheet of vintage cellulose acetate I bought on Ebay. And yes, I do have a Blue Chip and Wegens but I strongly prefer the others I mentioned.

JD
Rainsong S-OM1100N2
Old 09-07-2013, 11:33 AM

I've been using heavier picks (it's all relative & mine aren't as thick as what Todd uses) for a while, settling on the 50/55 Blue Chip picks or a reasonably similar thickness in TS. I've also changed from the traditional teardrop shape to a triangle - major change after many decades!

The CT55 is 1.4 mm approximately (55/1000") and the TAD 50 is 1.25 mm for reference.
Old 09-07-2013, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
Do you mostly strum or flatpick?

I think a thinner pick works best for strumming...my favorites are the Dunlop Gator Grips in 0.58 or 0.73. If I go nylon which flex more for a given thickness, then I'll go to 0.90 or 1.0. But the Gator Grips give me that crispness in tone which I prefer.
Thinner might be easier for strumming but after using 1.1mm picks anything less sounds weak.
Old 09-07-2013, 11:49 AM
Charter Member

I don't flatpick much, but when I do I use a 2mm pick. It requires better technique (like a looser, more controlled grip) but to me, sounds a lot nicer than a thin, highly-flexible pick. For strumming, a think pick can, again, be a bit trickier to use. But when I strum, it's usually with a thumb pick or a bare thumb.
Old 09-07-2013, 12:15 PM

+1 on thicker picks and Gravity 1.1m
Old 09-07-2013, 12:26 PM

V-Pick Screamer - 2.75mm!! Best pick for acoustic I have tried. I'm not in the market for real tortoiseshell or even the super-expensive boutique picks. I think $4 for a V-pick is probably near my top spending limit on a pick.

I do think that thinner picks sound good for strumming, but like paulzoom notes, after you're used to the sound of a thicker pick, it's hard to go back to a thin pick...
One day you pick up the guitar & you feel like a great master, & the next day you feel like a fool. It’s because we’re different every day, but the guitar is always the same…beautiful. -Tommy Emmanuel
Old 09-07-2013, 12:34 PM

Thin to me is 1.26, normal is either a 1.52 or a 1.92. One thing I've found is importance of applying a proper bevel on the rounded edge models. Greatly improves tone, speed, and feel.
Old 09-07-2013, 12:40 PM
Charter Member

blecch....i search for paper ultra thins that are so flimsy they wipe the strings not pick them.

Seriously I cant play with even a medium

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion