The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-21-2009, 07:10 AM

I think in pairings of woods.

For me you need a mahogany and a rosewood family representative.

I love Adi over Mahogany for the warm woody flatpicking machine.

With Rosewood I prefer Engelmann/Carpathian/Italian over "good" Braz, if not Madagascar. That's the lush side of the equation "for me".

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 12-21-2009, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbluegrass View Post
OK, how about some rosewood "shinnnggg" on top? But not too much. And it needs to be balanced with rich mids and nice, tight, lows. Now you know exactly what I want, LOL!!
Actually, I really like the sound of Bryan Sutton's Bourgeois D-150 that he uses on his instructional DVD and various recordings. It's a Braz/adi dread. Beautiful, rich, balanced tone. Maybe he'll sell it to me? Ha, ha.

Tom
I have had many martin dreds and one Bourgeois D-150, the Bourgeois is in a class of it's own, really no comparison to me, yea it has bottom end just like any other dred, but it has straight up mids and shimmering highs, every bit as good as a pre-war Martin in my opinion. Oh my D-150 is BRW/ADI.
Old 12-21-2009, 08:08 AM

It depends on the builder/brand and who is playing it.
Old 12-21-2009, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbluegrass View Post
Is it Brazilian or are there woods that sound as sweet and balanced? Some people like plain ol' mahogany as well as anything. I'm primarily referring to the back and sides, however, if you have a really nice sounding back, sides and top combination let me know. Keep in mind I'm mainly a bluegrass flat picker and a finger picker a close second to that. OK, have at it.

Tom
I am a bluegrass picker myself I think for good old fashioned bluegrass, nothing beats spruce over brazilian. Adi is nicer than sitka, but I think you can't go wrong with either. Brazilian is pricey so indian roswood is the lesser expensive, madagascar rosewood in the middle in price and closer to Brazilian in sound.

I am big fan of Martin dreads, especially those with scalloped braces which are usually the HD variety, top moves better. Though I have got an Olson dread that is east indian rosweood over sitka and it is a fantastic bluegrass guitar.

Brazilian gives you a bigger bottom end and has a projection that throws the sound out there. They say that a nice piece of brazilian has a glass like tap tone, indicating it's very reflective properties.

Olson Brazilian Dread #1325
Olson Brazilian SJ #1350
Olson Tiger Myrtle Dread #1355
Olson Brazilian Jumbo #1351
Olson 12-string Jumbo (one of only a few)
Martin D-42 Johnny Cash #51/200 (only 80 made)
And a few others

Quite a few limited edition and rare Martins
-----------------

http://www.kekomusic.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion