The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-19-2009, 12:19 PM

Default Guild GAD 30R VS Yamaha LL16

I am thinking about getting one of these two. For light to medium strumming and someday finger picking. Would like to hear your thoughts. Thanks

The whole point of Christmas is Easter.
Old 12-19-2009, 12:34 PM

I played a LOT of guitars, including the GAD 30R, then bought the LL16.

Tone-wise, they are equally pleasant... keeping in mind that tone is subjective to the individual listener. The Guild is an Orchestra body, the LL16 is supposed tio be a dread, but is actually slightly smaller.

Build quality and cosmetics seem a little better on the Yamaha, that was the clincher for me. That, and I've been playing Yamahas for years and trust them for being well-built and an outstanding value. Once I dropped in a Colosi bone saddle, the LL16's tone is nothing short of phenomenal.

As usual, YMMV.

Old 12-19-2009, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck62 View Post
I played a LOT of guitars, including the GAD 30R, then bought the LL16.

Tone-wise, they are equally pleasant... keeping in mind that tone is subjective to the individual listener. The Guild is an Orchestra body, the LL16 is supposed tio be a dread, but is actually slightly smaller.

Build quality and cosmetics seem a little better on the Yamaha, that was the clincher for me. That, and I've been playing Yamahas for years and trust them for being well-built and an outstanding value. Once I dropped in a Colosi bone saddle, the LL16's tone is nothing short of phenomenal.

As usual, YMMV.

Thanks Buck.
I am leaning toward the Yamaha. I have to get my hands on them.

Old 12-19-2009, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou777 View Post
Thanks Buck.
I am leaning toward the Yamaha. I have to get my hands on them.
I have a GAD-30R. Build quality is excellent, as well as the cosmetics. Tonewise, it's very, very good. And, comes with bone nut and saddle, all solid woods, maple binding, and so on. Bottom line, a lot of guitar for what you pay.

Haven't played the Yamaha you mention, but I started out on a Yamaha dread. Very nice guitar, but I don't think it compared to the Guild in terms of build quality.

I like the neck on the GAD, 1 3/4 nut and a fairly slim profile. Nice strumming and fingerpicking guitar. You have to play them both to compare though. Good luck.
Old 12-19-2009, 06:26 PM

The L Series Yamaha guitars are hand crafted. They feature very high build quality for their price point.

I owned a Guild GAD 30R and a Yamaha LL16.

The Guild was nice, but was better suited for fingerstyle than strumming. It got a little boxy sounding when I picked hard. I also felt that the neck was a bit on the thick side.

The LL16 handles heavy picking, strumming and fingerstyle very well. The neck profile is very comfortable. It's one of the best all purpose guitars I ever owned.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:57 AM

Thank sfden1 and edman.

It still looks like the LL16 is next on my list.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion