The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-17-2009, 01:26 AM
Charter Member

My Mcknight Slope Dred was a member of the first batch of guitars that Tim built after getting back from spending some time with Ervin Somogyi in the summer of 2006. IMHO, Tim's guitars built over the last 3 years or so, are simply in a different league to what he built 5 years ago.....no disrespect to his earlier builds I believe his current base price and waiting list would support my theory.

My Mcknight is a few months shy of it's 3rd birthday. It's a fantastic guitar and it continues to to put a smile on my face everytime I play it. Gotta be that '59 spruce top

~ Ray ~
Martin '22 0000-18 Gruhn Sinker
Pre-War ‘23 OM Adi/Granadillo
Old 12-17-2009, 10:10 AM
Charter Member

I believe it!! This McKnight is a great guitar!! I know the video doesn't do it justice but it sounds really good and has a ton of volume! Tim had told me that he changed his whole approach to building guitars after he studied under Ervin. His newer ones must really be great because this older one sure is!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by safricanplayer View Post
My Mcknight Slope Dred was a member of the first batch of guitars that Tim built after getting back from spending some time with Ervin Somogyi in the summer of 2006. IMHO, Tim's guitars built over the last 3 years or so, are simply in a different league to what he built 5 years ago.....no disrespect to his earlier builds I believe his current base price and waiting list would support my theory.

My Mcknight is a few months shy of it's 3rd birthday. It's a fantastic guitar and it continues to to put a smile on my face everytime I play it. Gotta be that '59 spruce top

~ Ray ~

High End Guitar Review Videos.
www.youtube.com/user/rockinb23
Old 12-17-2009, 10:36 AM

Nice video and cool playing as well.

Based on the recording, I would love to try the McKnight. It sounded bright but also very resonant -- I could almost feel the guitar vibrate through the web...

Thanks for sharing!

Joe
Old 12-18-2009, 09:58 AM
Charter Member

I thought I would add to this that the McKnight guitar has a sound port that was added by Tim McKnight after the guitar was completed which made the sound a little more bright then originally intended. I tell you this it is a great sounding guitar in person!

Old 12-18-2009, 11:22 AM

Location: Boney Mountain, just up Sycamore Canyon From Malibu

Hey Bobby,

I missed this thread a few days ago when you first posted it - I like this sort of comparison, you did a fine job. As has been stated before, all three are pretty different beasts, even the two dreads are really nice each in their own way. I get that the point of the recording is to allow you to listen to your three favorite guitars to get some feedback on how they sound from the listener perspective. Glad you posted - wish others would do the same. I'd do it in a second if I had a decent recording set-up (Santa???).

I agree with the point made earlier that the comparision of John's latest work to one Tim made 5 years ago for purposes of evaluating builders for a new commission would probably not be an even comparison, should anyone be trying to make that judgement from your video. Not to mention the obvious fact that the three use different tonewoods. In fact, I think that's the benefit of this sort of post - allows the opportunity to contrast rosewood and mahogany and a Slope Mayes to a Tony Rice. Not perfect comparisons (which are?), true. But entertaining and informative none-the-less.

In fact I know the Mayes is a pretty good one, but I was impressed with the Rice. The depth and fullness of tone surprised me a bit. Took that model up a notch for me. I've got to get out and try one! Dug the McKnight's great woody Mahogany character, and noted that your little rockabilly ditty sounded best to my ears on that guitar. I tend to get carried away with Rosewood guitars - good to be reminded Mahogany offers something a little different and unique for some play styles.

And you did STEAL that McKnight!
Baranik CX Mad Rose/Western Red Cedar
Old 12-19-2009, 12:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperB23 View Post
Tim had told me that he changed his whole approach to building guitars after he studied under Ervin. His newer ones must really be great because this older one sure is!!!
An all around great guy building fantastic guitars. And that's all I got to say about that

~ Ray ~
Martin '22 0000-18 Gruhn Sinker
Pre-War ‘23 OM Adi/Granadillo
Old 12-19-2009, 01:24 AM
Charter Member

That Mayes is da Bomb! Thanks for the comparison!
1950's Hoyer Meisterklasse
2003 Santa Cruz Vintage Artist
2013 Haxton Special (Nick Lucas model)
2019 Fairbanks Nick Lucas
a bunch of other stuff I really ought to sell...
Old 12-19-2009, 12:15 PM

I'll take all 3 I hear a quality in each guitar as well as each would excell in a certain style of playing, that said the SC I thought was more appropriate for the Rockabilly song you were playing. Very nice playing also!
Gamma G-25 Amp (electric)
Old 12-19-2009, 12:53 PM

All three sounded incredible, but I think the Santa Cruz sounded the best. You could really hear the power coming through.

Oh, and I looked up your McKnight's completed listing on eBay. All I can say is...congrats
Old 12-19-2009, 10:22 PM
Charter Member

Bobby,

Thanks for posting your video. Very nicely done and very nice guitars. I liked them all. I like the McKnight for fingerpicking, though I would have used 12's on it. The Mayes sounds just luscious, very similar to my custom Gibson AJ (same wood choices as your Mayes).

I remember when you got that Mayes and I remember the great videos you posted at the time. That is one terrific guitar.

Regards, Glenn
Old 12-19-2009, 10:27 PM

I like that Cruz bro, sweet tone!

Formerly known as, "Will Kirk"
Old 12-21-2009, 12:12 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the kind words and for taking the time to check this video out everybody!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion