The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-14-2009, 07:47 PM

Default Taylor DN3 Advice

Hey I need some feedback. I just bought a 314ce, but also thinking of putting on layaway a Taylor DN3e. Anyone have any experience for thoughts on this model? I am thinking of having my dealer place an order site unseen. I am looking for a great basic, no-frills dread with ES for around the DN3 price.

Please proceed with comments around this model. Thanks!
Old 12-14-2009, 09:26 PM

I have a DN3 and it has a great sound and is actually more versitile than I expected. In your case, however, I would maybe consider a DN4e just to give you a little more variability in tone. You could also consider a used 510ce or something like that. I've seen a few of those around for pretty decent prices.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:16 PM

I have played quite a few DN3 and each sounded great. Full, loud, one of my favorite Taylors. I have also played the DN4s but they are a bit dark for my taste. Would love to try a DN5 (mahog) or DN8 (rosewood), but no one seems to stock them.

Jack
Old 12-20-2009, 10:35 AM

Default Dn3

Dude, if you have a 314ce I wouldnt get a dn3. I understand you have a GA and want a dread but they are both sapele. Sapele is a great tonewood but these two guitars will sound very similar. The dread will have more volume and bass but for that kind of money why not ad flavor to your collection. I would look for a dread made of rosewood or something other than sapele or mahogany. Just my two cents, happy hunting.
Old 12-20-2009, 04:43 PM

I have to agree with others here in that perhaps another tonewood might be the way to go just so that you have another flavor. Good luck!
Old 12-21-2009, 12:07 AM

If I where in your position I would probably opt for a different wood combination at the very least. Don't get me wrong I love what Taylor does with the sitka/sapele combination, but like others have already pointed out, a DN3e is going to have a very similar tone to your 314ce. I would sincerely suggest checking out a Larrivee D-03RE or a Cole Clark FL1A. The larrivee is sitka/rosewood, and the Cole Clark comes with either a sitka or bunya top, and the option of blackwood, bunya, or queensland maple back and sides. Both of these guitars are all solid wood dreadnoughts in the same price range as the DN3e but would provide a completely different tone than your 314ce.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:29 AM

Agree with the others. If you want a dred body, I'd recommend you play some 510s, 710s, and 810 ...the mahog and rosewood (and englemann top on the 710) will offer you a more distinctly different flavor over your 314. Not "better," as you certainly love your 314; but something more different that you gives you a wider tonal palatte to play with.

Once you find which is more your liking, go hunt for a used one that fits your budget (may I assume your budget is a DN3 new, correct?). Lots of great guitars out there if you are willing to exercise some patience. Best of luck to you. ...And post your victory here, will ya

Edward
Old 12-21-2009, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edward993 View Post

Once you find which is more your liking, go hunt for a used one that fits your budget (may I assume your budget is a DN3 new, correct?). Lots of great guitars out there if you are willing to exercise some patience. Best of luck to you. ...And post your victory here, will ya

Edward
Correct, the DN3 is my budget area, and I'm not in a hurry. What do you all think of the DN4 with Ovangol? May be a redundant question on here, but is Ovangol more like hog or rosewood?
Old 12-21-2009, 12:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklab_01 View Post
Correct, the DN3 is my budget area, and I'm not in a hurry. What do you all think of the DN4 with Ovangol? May be a redundant question on here, but is Ovangol more like hog or rosewood?
Rosewood's warmth but cleaner-sounding and less boomy.

SpruceTop
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 12-21-2009, 01:34 PM

If you can afford it, I would definitely get either a 510, 710 or an 810 if you are buying a Taylor Dread. If you play a lot of Fingerstyle an Engelmann Top will serve you well. If you primarily Strum and Flatpick Sitka would be a good choice. Play all three and find what sounds best to you. Look for a used one to save $ if possible.
However, in a Dread sized Taylor, Engelmann Spruce and Rosewood Back and Sides will hold up just fine under most if not all Strumming conditions giving your collection more flavor being your DN3 has a Sitka Top.
If it were my choice and I were buying it for you I would get you a Taylor with Engelmann Spruce Top/Rosewood Back and Sides. I would be willing to bet you would not have any issues with breaking up or projection especially with the advent of the latest Taylor Bracing and Revoicing Etc. The 510 would be a great choice with the Engelmann Top. Good luck!

It's the Music That Really Matters!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion