The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-02-2009, 09:20 PM

Default Taylor's 8 string baritone guitar

I've been playing acoustic baritone guitar since 1999, when my McAlister baritone first arrived. Roy McAlister and I have since kicked around several ideas for yet another baritone for me, and stringing it as an 8 string, with octave courses on what would be the D and G strings of a guitar (and are the A and D strings of the baritone) is one of the ideas we've kicked around.

Now it appears that Taylor has gone ahead with this idea. I already own a Larrivée L-03R standard guitar that I converted to an 8 string, with octave courses on the D and G, but haven't yet had a chance to try one of these Taylors.

Have any of you seen one yet?

Just curious.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 12-02-2009, 09:32 PM

Yes, both Neal and I got a chance to play one the other day. It is a very curious beast. Kind of fun and tonally interesting, but also sort of sounds like a guitar on Quaaludes.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:15 AM
Charter Member

I have no idea what the qualudes reference means but I bought one a few days ago and wow, do I love this guitar. Especially on ballads, it is incredible. I like it fingerstyle, as well. A Kyser capo won't hold the strings down, I need to find my Shubb and try that.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:53 AM
Charter Member

Wade - I would love to see a picture of how you converted your L03R to an 8 string. Where did you put the 2 new tuners, how did you modify the bridge, etc.

I have an L03SP, all sapele I dearly love. I don't know if I would risk it to a mod like that, but I am so interested in the Taylor 8 string, I might consider letting someone who could do it professionally do it for me.

Old 12-03-2009, 12:57 PM

Haven't had the chance to play one yet, but I'm fascinated by the possibilities - lower bass notes, a little extra jingle added by the 2 octave stirings.

I imagine it's unlikely that I'll find one in a GC or other chain store. Has anyone happened to see one in a store anywhere near Philly?

"guitar on Quaaludes." -YIKES!!

Chuck
'04 Fender Standard Fretless Jazz Bass
'73 Fender Jazz Bass Ash/Maple

Last edited by Chuck Sylvester; 12-03-2009 at 01:04 PM.
Old 12-03-2009, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratokatsu View Post
Wade - I would love to see a picture of how you converted your L03R to an 8 string. Where did you put the 2 new tuners, how did you modify the bridge, etc.

I have an L03SP, all sapele I dearly love. I don't know if I would risk it to a mod like that, but I am so interested in the Taylor 8 string, I might consider letting someone who could do it professionally do it for me.
Wade, I'd love to see a pic to. As far as the bridge go, did you use the same hole to put both strings in, like the David Crosby 12-string?
Old 12-03-2009, 11:25 PM

Here is a sample clip:
http://www.myfavoriteguitars.com/pro...cat=297&page=3
'14 Collings SJ(Wenge/German)
Old 12-04-2009, 05:44 AM

Whoops! The "guitar on Quaaludes" reference wasn't intended to be a condemnation of this guitar. Rather, as with baritone electric guitars it simply is a bit odd to play familiar songs tuned several steps down. Even at the same tempo, things sound a bit slower and droopier. I'm sure folks will have a lot of fun exploring with this instrument and figuring out how to make it sing. It definitely is fun to play....

Last edited by ukejon; 12-04-2009 at 06:20 AM.
Old 12-04-2009, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhchang View Post
Thanks for the clip, jhchang. It sounds nice and full, pretty much what I expected

ukejon - no worries about the "guitar on Quaaludes" reference. I think I got what you meant. It was a very entertaining description.

I definitely would love to try to play one of these. The cost is out of my range at the moment; it would be nice if they would offer a non-cutaway, no electronics version to bring it down a bit.
'04 Fender Standard Fretless Jazz Bass
'73 Fender Jazz Bass Ash/Maple
Old 12-20-2009, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveMusic View Post
I have no idea what the qualudes reference...
Oh, he just means it sounds like a 714. A Lemmon 714... or would that be a Lemmongrove 714.

just kidding, just kidding -- it doesn't sound like a 714. But I'll bet that made somebody out there grin.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion