The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-20-2009, 11:08 PM

Default Checking Question

Im considering purchasing a Froggy from a reputable seller, at a great price, except that there is some minor finish checking on the top. As it is aesthetically, I'm OK with it, and it probably wouldn't be a huge issue if I had to sell it later...but I'm wondering if Finish Checking is prone to "grow" or "spread." Im not sure how OK I'd be if the problem spread.

Is there anyway other than a refinish to cure finish checking? Certainly I wouldn't do that for a minor issue, but in the future, Id be curious what the options were if it were to get worse.

Thanks....
Old 12-21-2009, 06:01 AM

Dukester, if it's just finish checking I personally would not worry about it at all. There are tons of great guitars out there with some checking in the finish. And if that is all it is, and not cracks into the wood, don't worry about it.

My Froggy Braz dread has a little finish checking on the lower bout, front and back. Doesn't bother me a bit, and adds a touch of character to the guitar.
Lets me know the finish isn't one of those too thick plastic coatings some builders use.

What model Frog you looking at ? We'll expect to see it at the next Fla gathering.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricks View Post
Dukester, if it's just finish checking I personally would not worry about it at all. There are tons of great guitars out there with some checking in the finish. And if that is all it is, and not cracks into the wood, don't worry about it.

My Froggy Braz dread has a little finish checking on the lower bout, front and back. Doesn't bother me a bit, and adds a touch of character to the guitar.
Lets me know the finish isn't one of those too thick plastic coatings some builders use.

What model Frog you looking at ? We'll expect to see it at the next Fla gathering.
I am more familiar more on Martins (though it is not on many Martins) than any other guitars. They don't typically spread and most people consider that "honest wear" and they say it doesn't typically create a deduction on resale though as a consumer, it does for me. Not much, but it is a factor.
I would not give much thought to it.

Olson Brazilian Dread #1325
Olson Brazilian SJ #1350
Olson Tiger Myrtle Dread #1355
Olson Brazilian Jumbo #1351
Olson 12-string Jumbo (one of only a few)
Martin D-42 Johnny Cash #51/200 (only 80 made)
And a few others

Quite a few limited edition and rare Martins
-----------------

http://www.kekomusic.com
Old 12-21-2009, 08:22 AM

Hopewfully this is not OTT, but does finish checking ever happen to guitars with other finishes other than nitro? Examples being catalysed lacquer, poly, french polish, varnish, the melamine based finish used on Sobells, etc.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:15 PM

Its a Froggy F. The checking is small; if it stayed the same, I wouldn't mind at all, it's spreading that bothers me.

It doesn't help that the guitar is located in Arizona, dryest place in the universe, and Im in Florida, the most humid place in the universe.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:20 PM

Isn't finish checking the result of too rapid exposure to change in temperature?

Martin 00-28
Cordoba C9
Yairi FY70CE
KoAloha Tenor Ukulele
KALA Tenor
Old 12-21-2009, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kats45 View Post
Isn't finish checking the result of too rapid exposure to change in temperature?
It does not even have to be rapid change, just from one extreme to the other that usually does it. Mine is actually due to being hung too close to an outside wall on the shop. That is why it's confined to the bottom of the lower bout.

Coming from Az to Fla should not have any effect I can think of on finish checking. Unless the shipper gets it cold then hot or vice versa too many times.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion