The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-23-2009, 06:24 PM

Default Switching top woods on standard models

I was wondering if this was possible without turning it into a BTO. For example, if I wanted to buy a standard GS5 or 510ce, and I would rather have a Sitka top, than an Engelman or Cedar, would Taylor do that with out it being considered a BTO?

I've been thinking about a Mahogany Taylor for my next purchase, but prefer Sitka as a top when paired with Mahogany. Thanks for any info.
Old 10-23-2009, 06:32 PM

I spoke with Taylor about that and they told me they would do that under the modify a model program. I wanted a different binding but they said they would not do that but I could go with a different top. Go figure
1967 Harmony Classical
Old 10-23-2009, 06:52 PM

Thanks, that does that seem strange that they would do that on the top wood and not the binding, unless you were going from plastic to wood.

I may contact Jim pretty soon then. a Sitka topped GS5, sounds like it could be a great guitar.
Old 10-23-2009, 08:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussL30 View Post
... a Sitka topped GS5, sounds like it could be a great guitar.
it sure does

i'm wondering if they could do an adirondack top with adi CV bracing on the "modify a model" program
(or perhaps it's just sitka, engelmann or cedar on the 500 series/up, with Standard II bracing on 5/6/700s) -
if you're looking at a non-cutaway model, it might be more economical & it would give you more options
(many low $ or no-cost) to go the BTO route. a sitka (or adi) top 510ce or 516ce would be pretty cool (imho)...

especially with a honeyburst top & edgeburst finish back, sides & neck
Old 12-20-2009, 10:56 AM

Default Switching tops

Cool thread, I plan on getting a 714c with an engleman top. I was wondering the same thing. Basically I want a 914c without the fancy stuff. I know the grade of the wood is different but how much difference could there be in terms of sound. I dont think its that much. I know you can get a 900 series top on a 714c which would be sweet. I think being able to modify models to your taste is a very cool thing. Like I said I want a 914c in terms of tone, but I dont like bling on my guitars. Anyone agree that a 714c with an engleman top is the way to go? Would a 714c with a 900 series top be even better in terms of tone? Appreciate any advice.
Old 12-20-2009, 11:09 AM

When you start changing a standard model too much it falls under the BTO option so iut makes sense they would limit the changes one can make to a standard model.
Old 12-20-2009, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 310Taylor View Post
Cool thread, I plan on getting a 714c with an engleman top. I was wondering the same thing. Basically I want a 914c without the fancy stuff. I know the grade of the wood is different but how much difference could there be in terms of sound. I dont think its that much. I know you can get a 900 series top on a 714c which would be sweet. I think being able to modify models to your taste is a very cool thing. Like I said I want a 914c in terms of tone, but I dont like bling on my guitars. Anyone agree that a 714c with an engleman top is the way to go? Would a 714c with a 900 series top be even better in terms of tone? Appreciate any advice.
When you say a 900 series top, what do you mean? Currently, the 900 series are made with Premium Sitka tops, but in the past, were made with Premium Engelmann. Keep in mind though, this "standard" vs. "premium" grading is based on aesthetics, not tone. In any case, I love my EIR / Engelmann GA, so I would definitely recommend it.
Old 12-20-2009, 04:06 PM

Default 714c engleman

Thanks for the info. I wasnt sure if the difference in grade was tonal or just asthetic. I thought the 914c had a tone that was unique to that guitar. I guess it was just the engleman that gave it that unique sound. I'm sure the sitka sounds excellent too and the change is probably due to the shortage of engleman, I heard bob taylor say somewhere that good engleman was getting hard to find. As far as upgrading a 714c to engleman, that should be no prob then. The rosewood on the 714c shouldnt sound any different than the rosewood on the 914c in theory? Anyone know the best or least expensive way of doing this? Should I have sam ash or guitar center order me one, or go right through taylor ( I assume the more expensive way)? I was thinking around 3,000 for this guitar. Thanks for any imput.
Old 12-20-2009, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 310Taylor View Post
I'm sure the sitka sounds excellent too and the change is probably due to the shortage of engleman, I heard bob taylor say somewhere that good engleman was getting hard to find. As far as upgrading a 714c to engleman, that should be no prob then. The rosewood on the 714c shouldnt sound any different than the rosewood on the 914c in theory?
Yes, the change was made because quality Engelmann was beginning to be difficult to find in large enough quantities to make it a standard issue thing on the 900s. That being said, you should have no trouble special ordering it. The difference between rosewood from what I've seen (having owned a 714 and several 914s) is tightness of grain. Given that two of the exact same models of guitar can sound different, I can't say that "A" Rosewood and "AA" rosewood WON"T sound different, but I don't think you'll be disappointed with it, either way. As far as ordering goes, you can't go directly through Taylor, so the best option I can suggest is contacting Jim at Guitar Rodeo. He's an absolute pleasure to deal with, and he'll definitely give you a good price. Good luck!
Old 12-20-2009, 10:31 PM

Default 714c engleman

Thats a good point about the tightness of grain. You know thats the difference right there. Gives the 914 that little extra magic.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion