The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-20-2009, 05:27 PM

Default How is this guy strumming?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZd3-...eature=related

I'm just starting off the guitar, and for the down strum, is he hitting the strings with his thumb or index finger?

And for the upward strum, it looks like he's using his thumb...any other fingers touching the strings?
Old 12-20-2009, 05:43 PM

Neither or both. He is pinching his thumb and index finger together as if he is using a pick. Most of the sound is his index finger on down or upstrokes but he is probably also making some contact on the downstrokes with his thumb. Easiest way to emulate it is to actually use the pick.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:43 PM

HHP is right, of course, but there's more. Freeze the the frame a few times along the way, and you'll be able to see that his nails are pretty long. They act like attached picks. I don't know if they're natural or not, but I suspect not. Either way, he makes them sound good.

cotten

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion