The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-20-2009, 04:43 PM

Default Taylor 414 setup

I recently purchased a new Taylor 414ce and absolutely love the tone of the guitar. It is the first "higher end" guitar I've ever purchased and I'm wondering if I should take it to someone to see if the playability can be improved on. It seems OK to me but I have no basis of comparison and I read posts of how much a good setup can improve any guitar. I would be very upset if anything was done that affected the sound. Worth having someone take a look or ignore it and play on?
Old 12-20-2009, 04:49 PM

Congrats on the new guitar and welcome to the forum.

Most Taylors are consistent in playability. Have you played other ones? Are they 'easier' to play than yours? Do the strings appear high on your guitar? If so then you may need a setup.

Regarding your second point, a setup should never negatively affect the tone so I wouldn't worry about that, as long as it's done by someone who knows what they're doing.

One note - has your guitar been properly humidified?
Old 12-20-2009, 05:57 PM

I've watched the humidity and that's OK. I played a lot of Martin's, Taylors and Laravee's which all seemed pretty similar in playability (the Taylor may be slightly easier). Just seems to be a lot of talk about what a good "setup" can do and I have no basis for comparison.
Old 12-20-2009, 06:05 PM

If at all possible, make sure you have an authorized Taylor repairman set up your guitar. He will have the shims and knowledge necessary to change the action on your Taylor properly (without changing the saddle at all).

This isn't mandatory, but it is an advantage of Taylors, and you might as well make use of it...

Taylor GS8
Godin A6 Ultra

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion