The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-30-2022, 06:00 PM
Charter Member

Default Alvarez MD60BG Owners?

I've been thinking of adding a mahogany B/S dread for a big bluegrass sound and a 1 3/4" nut.

There's quite a few positive reviews of this model. Some comparing it to Eastman's ED6.

Seems like a lot of guitar for the money. I have not yet played one, but hope to soon.

https://www.alvarezguitars.com/guitar/md60bg/

Any AGF owner reviews?

Last edited by FingahPickah; 01-30-2022 at 06:28 PM.
Old 01-30-2022, 08:01 PM

I have not played the dread but I have played the MF60OM spruce over mahogany OM size and it was a VERY good guitar

I have also played a lot of other Alvarez models in that general price range and have been very impressed with build quality and tone
Old 01-30-2022, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FingahPickah View Post
I've been thinking of adding a mahogany B/S dread for a big bluegrass sound and a 1 3/4" nut.

There's quite a few positive reviews of this model. Some comparing it to Eastman's ED6.

Seems like a lot of guitar for the money. I have not yet played one, but hope to soon.

https://www.alvarezguitars.com/guitar/md60bg/

Any AGF owner reviews?
Quite a few! I may be one of the newest ones since I just got it 3 weeks ago from Barnett Music Exchange. This is the actual guitar I bought: https://www.barnettmusicexchange.com...-x35485962.htm

Anywho, as for the guitar, its pretty awesome. It quickly shot to the top of my small guitar collection in terms of tone and ease of play. I like the tone about as much as my Eastman E20D-TC and that's after finding the perfect strings for the Eastman (which took me a while). Ive yet to try out many strings on the Alvarez. But I can say the set up is fantastic, the neck is very comfortable to play, and the tone is amazing for a new guitar. I like it better than my Eastman E10SS/v by a lot which was surprising to me.

Its got a great sound and, similar to my Farida OT22, I wonder if they are using particularly thin soundboards because it sounds very open and is very responsive. I think my favorite thing is it's dynamic range. My least favorite is that you can spot laws in the fit and finish on mine. Not enough to have me send it back, but the paint runs into the binding a bit.

Also the flexicase that comes with it is actually pretty awesome. It's a hybrid between a hard case and a gig bag and I really like it. Anywho a lot of guitar for the money and just a fun guitar to play.
Old 01-30-2022, 08:43 PM

Well, I can't remember anyone here saying anything really negative about them. That's a plus as it seems we always get at least one opinion on every guitar that is far from positive.

When my daughter and I went shopping in December, I was fortunate that my local GC had a good representative sample of this one and the OM version. We got to spend a couple of days with this one in the audition rotation, and it was my second time playing one. I really liked it, and so did the guys around that played. Some even thought it was one of the better on hand at the time. Yet, I do think it is different sounding than the Eastman you mention.

To me, the Eastman has a bit more prominent/fuller bass and a little more of the pronounced midrange you would expect if seeking a traditional hog dread (classic Martin). The Alvarez can capture a pretty traditional sound as well, but to my ear these have just a hair more modern balance and response. For lack of a better term, I would say they have a bit of a chime to them. It can be very beautiful, and it certainly is its own dread sound. I am sure other folks hear it completely opposite. It's certainly worthy of an audition, and you can see where it falls for you. You can sometimes find the GC/MF version for a really good deal.

The ones I have handled were well built for the point and set-up well. I would gladly enjoy having one, and I do own the Masterworks walnut GA. One thing to point out is the neck is noticeably thinner than the Eastman and most Masterworks I have played had a pretty elliptical profile. I know my GA also has pretty tight bridge string spacing for a 1 3/4" nut, but I cannot recall the spacing on the MD60. These differences alone may point to one guitar or the other for you.

One thing is for sure. As is often stated on AGF, we still have some really good guitars for great prices these days. I hope you find one that suits you well.

Best,

Mac
Old 01-30-2022, 11:14 PM

I've had my MD60BG since August. I was not sure what I was going to get for $649. But when I got it the sound was good maybe a little light on the bass. It came with light gauge strings bone nut and saddle and ebony pins. The bone saddle looked massed produced and cheap. I replaced that with a good quality custom bone saddle . I also added bone bridge pins and put on a set of Monel Retro LJ Med/light strings. Simple upgrades but now the MD60BG is a cannon the bass rivals my D18 the volume was increased considerably. I can't find any faults with the workmanship either and the 1 3/4inch nut width and neck shape are perfect for me. I've used it several times with the bluegrass band I play with with no problems and can't say enough about it. I did put it in a hard case. Also I'm so impressed with the Alvarez Masterworks series I'm going to get the 12fret slot head rosewood back and sides model which cost just a little more.
Old 01-31-2022, 03:22 AM

Hi,
Well, where do I start. I bought the MD70BG back in October last year from Andertons. I called them ahead and they had 3 in the shop for me to try. All were consistent in tone which knocked me out. I also asked to see the MD60BG which again they brought 3 in for me to try as I was so impressed with the Rosewood version, I said I would also get the Mahogany version if I liked the tone. Boy, knocked me out as well. I Always take a straight edge with me to check the neck angles on any guitar I want to buy and I can say all the guitars I tried, whether it be the MD70 or MD60, the neck angles were spot on. The only thing that stopped me purchasing the MD60, on all three was that at the rear of the bridge, there were slight gaps where the glue had not been applied correctly. The MD70 I bought and love, needed some sharp fret ends to be sorted and the action at nut and saddle to be adjusted to my liking which for a factory made guitar, I expected and don't really mind as I love messing about with guitars. In a way, it makes the guitar part of me(silly really)
Roll on to Black Friday Sale in November. Andertons had a silly price on the MD60(which were out of stock at the time), but at the price for an all solid guitar, I ordered one. No hesitation.
It came 3 weeks ago, and boy, I love it. Little brighter sound than the MD70, but both guitars sound up there with guitars which are way more expensive. Both these guitars are my go to guitars, I play them all the time and I have some high end guitars here.
Funny about the thread about run out, as if run out means one side lighter than the other, this MD60 has it. Never really knew about it until that thread, but the tone on the guitar is awesome, to my ears anyway and that is what matters to me. Again, work was needed on some fret ends and the action, and I also took the pick guards off as I just don't like them. No gaps on at the rear of the bridge and also again, the neck angle spot on. I don't usually buy guitars unplayed but I knew what to expect to a certain extent with these guitars. Anyway, any problems and I would have used the return policy, although I did contact the shop before they sent the guitar for them to check out certain things, which they did.
So, my opinion for what it's worth, recommended. All solid guitar for a price which to me is ridiculous. I would post a picture of both but do not have an account where I can post pictures.
Stay safe and well.
Hope the above helps.
Old 01-31-2022, 03:58 AM

Forgot to add,
These guitars feature a forward shifted bracing which really does give these guitars their great tone IMHO.
Old 01-31-2022, 04:49 AM
Charter Member

I do not own an MD60 or an MD70, but I really struggled on these. Tonally, I think they are both high-value instruments, but not in the class as, say, a Larrivee D40 or other higher end instruments. I found them both to be bright, loud, lots of sustain, and remarkably easy to play. In the end, though, I picked up an Eastman E6D. Great value guitar, a slightly heavier build perhaps, clear sound, but I still look at the Alvarez offering sometimes.

Incidentally, I currently own an MGA66shb (the all-mahogany masterworks GA model). It is a stellar guitar, I use John Pearse PB light strings on it to corral the sustain a little. I also own an AD70, a very nice bang-for-buck guitar.

Lastly, GC carries an Alvarez MD60 that's tagged MD610 I believe, often on sale at a very cheap price.

As usual, ymmv.

Thx.
Old 01-31-2022, 07:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brother john View Post
Hi,
Well, where do I start. I bought the MD70BG back in October last year from Andertons. I called them ahead and they had 3 in the shop for me to try. All were consistent in tone which knocked me out. I also asked to see the MD60BG which again they brought 3 in for me to try as I was so impressed with the Rosewood version, I said I would also get the Mahogany version if I liked the tone. Boy, knocked me out as well. I Always take a straight edge with me to check the neck angles on any guitar I want to buy and I can say all the guitars I tried, whether it be the MD70 or MD60, the neck angles were spot on. The only thing that stopped me purchasing the MD60, on all three was that at the rear of the bridge, there were slight gaps where the glue had not been applied correctly. The MD70 I bought and love, needed some sharp fret ends to be sorted and the action at nut and saddle to be adjusted to my liking which for a factory made guitar, I expected and don't really mind as I love messing about with guitars. In a way, it makes the guitar part of me(silly really)
Roll on to Black Friday Sale in November. Andertons had a silly price on the MD60(which were out of stock at the time), but at the price for an all solid guitar, I ordered one. No hesitation.
It came 3 weeks ago, and boy, I love it. Little brighter sound than the MD70, but both guitars sound up there with guitars which are way more expensive. Both these guitars are my go to guitars, I play them all the time and I have some high end guitars here.
Funny about the thread about run out, as if run out means one side lighter than the other, this MD60 has it. Never really knew about it until that thread, but the tone on the guitar is awesome, to my ears anyway and that is what matters to me. Again, work was needed on some fret ends and the action, and I also took the pick guards off as I just don't like them. No gaps on at the rear of the bridge and also again, the neck angle spot on. I don't usually buy guitars unplayed but I knew what to expect to a certain extent with these guitars. Anyway, any problems and I would have used the return policy, although I did contact the shop before they sent the guitar for them to check out certain things, which they did.
So, my opinion for what it's worth, recommended. All solid guitar for a price which to me is ridiculous. I would post a picture of both but do not have an account where I can post pictures.
Stay safe and well.
Hope the above helps.
My MD60BG has slight gaps on the back side of the bridge on the middle part. I contacted STL Music and they said it was fine.
Old 01-31-2022, 09:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
My MD60BG has slight gaps on the back side of the bridge on the middle part. I contacted STL Music and they said it was fine.
Gaps? Could you be more specific/descriptive? Pics? STL Music said it was fine?

Last edited by FingahPickah; 01-31-2022 at 09:18 AM.
Old 01-31-2022, 12:57 PM

I bought the made for MF version...Only difference is No case and some cosmetic changes...
I love it...I finally found a guitar that makes me scared to try anything else since I'll probably send it back.
I just don't have the desire to try other guitars now...
The song in my signature is the MD610BG/MD60BG
Try to look past my playing ....only one condenser for vocal and guitar and bad placement...
This was unplugged...

My Toys:
Taylor AD17e (Ovangkol)
Guild "Bob Marley"
Epiphone ES339Pro P90 Limited
Fender Affinity Strat Custom W/P90's
Old 03-08-2022, 08:02 AM

I’ve been going back and forth on the MD70BG and the MDR70SB. Can’t decide if I want a 12 fretter, slotted headstock or not. Both seem excellent, but I’d be ordering them unplayed and unseen. I currently have a Masterworks Elite all walnut OM and it is a fantastic guitar-beautiful and a great player. I read on STL Music’s catalog that these Masterworks guitars all have their “ATR” process applied to the woods, both tops and bodies. Seems like their torrifaction process. If so, these guitars are that much more of a value.

1998 Very Sweet Wife
2000 Cute Daughter (Grand Concert)
2005 Handsome Son (Dreadnought)
2007 Lovely Daughter (Parlor)
2017 Cute Puppy (Duke the Uke)
Old 03-08-2022, 08:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt McGriff View Post
I currently have a Masterworks Elite all walnut OM and it is a fantastic guitar-beautiful and a great player..
An all walnut OM, "torrefied" top, back and sides (?) Wow ...

I know describing tone can be tough, but how would you describe the tone in comparison to a spruce top and or mahogany top OM.

I'm really interested.

I have a black walnut 12 fret dread that is killer but it's an Engelmann spruce top. A walnut top I haven't played ... especially whole body torrefied.
Old 03-08-2022, 10:54 AM

It’s got a very sweet tone. A lot of harmonics. Sounds fantastic. Smaller body, so not a lot of growl, but man it sounds nice!

1998 Very Sweet Wife
2000 Cute Daughter (Grand Concert)
2005 Handsome Son (Dreadnought)
2007 Lovely Daughter (Parlor)
2017 Cute Puppy (Duke the Uke)
Old 03-08-2022, 11:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt McGriff View Post
It’s got a very sweet tone. A lot of harmonics. Sounds fantastic. Smaller body, so not a lot of growl, but man it sounds nice!
Thanks.... Interesting (I've heard of Cort's all solid Blackwood - https://www.cortguitars.com/product/..._id=1602041418) being described similarly, too.

I'm intrigued mainly because I have the Engelmann/Black Walnut 12 fret SS dread I mentioned as well as an X braced Taylor 324e (Mahogany top/ Tasmanian Blackwood b & s) Grand Auditorium - Love the distinctiveness of both and would be very interested to play an ALL walnut and/or ALL blackwood.

I've always been an Alvarez fan... Great guitars

Last edited by FingahPickah; 03-08-2022 at 12:01 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion