The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-27-2001, 11:25 AM

Talking New Guy

Great forum guys!
I was walking past a Big SUV yesterday in the parking lot of Wal-Mart and I heard this wonderful music coming from the open window. As a guitar player and taylor owner the music sounded so live. I had to just get a better earful. As I walked up on the SUV a rather large gentleman was sitting in the passenger seat. I just stood and listened for a few moments and The man looked up and saw me in the mirror. A polite hello turned into conversation over the guitar.

It was a BabyM but like I had never seen. This one had Gold full size grovers with gold buttons and Ivory pins. He asked if I wanted to give it a try so I did and I was quite impressed for such a small guitar. I told him I was the proud owner of a 414ce. Then as the conversation went along he told me of the Taylor Forum and I have to admit it was easier to find that first thought.
We talked guitar for several minutes and he got out and walked around to the rear of his SUV and opened the back and under a pile of moving blankets was a Taylor case.

He opened the case and OH My God! The most beautiful Taylor Ive ever seen. It was a 910 but differant than any Ive seen. The wood looked like melting chocolate the top just reflected the sun like a mirror and all the differat colors in the inlay just floored me.
He put it right into my hands and said try this and see what you think.

Best guitar I have ever played. He sat in the back and grabed the baby and said Lets play. Im not that great a player but I could not pass up playing this guitar. He started by playing an Eagles number Lyin'Eyes. He started singing right in the parking lot.I just played but this guy can sing. In 5 minutes a crowd had formed of maybe 20 people that in ten more minutes turned to 50.
I felt like I was in a band. He stopped playing when his wife came out and said he had to go. The crowd left clapping and for the first time in my life I gave a live performance. Thanks to a guy I just know now as Big Jimmy. I hope to meet you again and Thanks for the experiance and directions to the Taylor Forum. Trick
Old 11-27-2001, 11:33 AM

Could this really be....the great JW has appeared.

Welcome to the forum. Consider yourself lucky to have met one of the most influential posters on this board.
Old 11-27-2001, 11:34 AM

JW strikes again...nice to have ya on board Trick

Derek

14fret 0
12fret 000
Old 11-27-2001, 12:06 PM

Wow, what a cool story!
Old 11-27-2001, 12:20 PM

Hey Trick, welcome. JW never ceases to amaze us.

Jay

Gibson J45 1942 Banner Reissue Custom Shop
Gibson Advanced Jumbo Custom Shop
Martin HD-28
Martin OM-28
Martin 00-15M
Fender Tele Highway One Reissue
Fender Jazz Bass
Old 11-27-2001, 01:41 PM

That is a classic story for the archives. Great to have you here Trick.
Old 11-27-2001, 02:31 PM

Cool

Hey!! ya made it! That was me and my 910B and my personal baby M(not the wifes custom). My wife just went in to do some shopping and we were on our way to a friends for a little practice. Hey Trick your better on my guitar than I am! That was a fun few minutes. I think the last 30 people showed up because they thought it was a fight, hehe! JW
Old 11-27-2001, 04:48 PM

Be sure to let us know when the next Walmart concert is. I usually spend time on the "husband's bench" at the front of the store. I live in SC too, and my wife loves Walmart, so I'm sure I could convince her that the Myrtle Beach Wal-marts have lots of stuff that our Columbia Wal-mart don't have. I'll be there!
Old 11-27-2001, 05:16 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Hey, a Taylor Forum WalMart get-together! Sounds like fun!

JW is truly a Taylor ambassador!

Welcome to the forum, Trick!

J.R.
Old 11-27-2001, 05:27 PM

Great story!! I'd love to have a chance to meet JW & hear him play.
Trick - you met one of the true legends of this forum! I've never met him but can picture him sitting in a Wal-Mart parking lot playing his baby. Sounds just like him.
SM

'96 Taylor 514C
'97 Taylor 514CW
'99 Taylor K14C
'06 Taylor GSMC
'03 Gretsch Nashville Classic
Old 11-27-2001, 05:34 PM

Cool

I wish I could have played his guitar all day. I mean this guy doesn't hesitate to just start singing in the parking lot. He should have opened the case and collected money. He just acted like it was an everyday thing. I just cant quit telling my wife about this few minutes in the Wal-Mart parking lot. When I told her I was playing in front of a crowd she refused to beleive it. When I told her I was playing the real nice guitar she laughed.

For some odd reason I feel like going back and playing more. Is it that addictive? Big Jimmy if I had your voice I would pack my bags and head to Nashville. Thanks a million! I never thought I would have the nerve to play in public. Nice guitars. Trick
Old 11-27-2001, 05:42 PM

What a great event.....you coulda asked JW if I could borrow his K14C until mine shows up.....just another reason that TGF is a daily read.....JW sightings!!!!
Old 11-27-2001, 10:01 PM

Cool

The National Enquirer would pay big bucks for a photo, BigFoot, Elvis, The Locknest monster and Me! hahaha! Ive been know to be sighted at McFayden Music from time to time. Hey trick, Glad you got over the asphalt fright. I have been known to play Christmas music on the "husbands bench" outside. Was ordered away last year because I offended someone because I played " Away in a manger" I guess she would have rather heard that stupid bell. JW
Old 11-28-2001, 09:27 AM

"Was ordered away last year because I offended someone because I played "Away in a manger"

Boy, don't that show the sad shape our society is in!
SM

'96 Taylor 514C
'97 Taylor 514CW
'99 Taylor K14C
'06 Taylor GSMC
'03 Gretsch Nashville Classic
Old 11-28-2001, 10:11 AM

Cool

Aint that the truth! While I dont like Rap music I do respect others right to listen to it. I just move on. I will try it this year and see what kind of responce I get. If you like it stop if you dont just pass on by. Anything to stop Santa from ringing that bell!hehe! JW

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion