The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 04-09-2024, 12:55 PM

Default Artificial intelligence as a music tool

Has anyone experimented with artificial intelligence as a tool to help you transcribe, arrange or compose music? I was intrigued by the idea of using an AI tool to transcribe a song that I am trying learn off a YT video. I was also interested in trying it out to explore options for adding elements to some of the songs that I play. For example, asking the AI to suggest various vamps or improv sections that I could consider adding to make my current arrangements more interesting.

If you have experimented, which of the numerous music AI tools that pop up, if any, are worth exploring?

BTW, if you are not interested in AI, please refrain from replying with rants about how AI will kill music, is cheating, etc.
Old 04-09-2024, 05:36 PM
Charter Member

Given the current state of repetitive musical algorithms, I honestly believe that AI might introduce some refreshing innovations to what currently passes (in vast circles) for contemporary pop "songwriting." Not saying I'd necessarily like it, but nascent hints of something new/interesting could possibly emerge.
Old 04-10-2024, 06:06 AM

I've been waiting for software that would transcribe an audio file for 25 years. Let me know if you find one.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 04-10-2024, 07:16 AM
Charter Member

No such thing as AI, a human has to teach it, so there's that.
Old 04-10-2024, 07:30 AM

I’ll occasionally ask ChatGPT for lyric ideas but they’re usually pretty ****.
1972 Gibson SJ Deluxe
2019 Gibson J-45 Standard
2022 Gibson 1960 Hummingbird Fixed Bridge

…don’t even get me started on electrics - too many to list.
Old 04-10-2024, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman1951 View Post
I've been waiting for software that would transcribe an audio file for 25 years. Let me know if you find one.
I found one site, called Klangio, that was able to transcribe a songs from YouTube video into a guitar tab with notation.
Old 04-10-2024, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilver View Post
I’ll occasionally ask ChatGPT for lyric ideas but they’re usually pretty ****.
Agreed, I tried it a time or two and ChatGPT is a terrible poet. Especially when it comes to rhyme scheme and meter, it had no clue.

I'm skeptical that AI (in its current form) will ever be truly creative. AI is essentially a pattern-matching algorithm, taking the data it's been fed and regurgitating based on that data. It looks for patterns based on what it's learned... so coming up with a completely novel result would be pretty unusual.

Now, does that mean it will be *less* creative-seeming than the average human? As we know, humans aren't always that original either. AI can create something similar to whatever you feed into it, but don't expect groundbreaking.
Old 04-10-2024, 09:14 AM

I have not had great results with it, but I have had a couple of interesting experiences. I asked it to write a poem in the style of Philip Larkin. What it produced was not good, but it did enable me to write a poem I like. However, it seems embarrassing to say that I wrote it, and "coauthored" it with an AI seems even more so.

The best work I got was this:

I asked ChatGPT to redo the famous lines from Richard II in rhyming trimeter. It didn't produce consistent trimeter, and I had to change a few lines here and there; but this is actually pretty good . . .

Let's sit upon the ground,
And tales of kings we'll spin around;
Some were deposed, some slain in strife,
Some haunted by their former life,
Poisoned by their own sweet wife,
Or killed in sleep, devoid of life;

All murdered, for within the crown,
Death himself will bring them down.
His court is held within the head,
And there the jester mocks the dead;
He sneers at pomp, he scoffs at state,
And as for kings, he just can't wait.

A little scene, a breath to reign,
A monarch's power to inspire pain;
Filled with conceit, infused with pride,
But in the end, death takes his ride.
The flesh that once was seen so strong,
Is pierced by Death's own tiny prong;

The castle walls will crumble down:
Farewell to the king and his crown.
Old 04-10-2024, 03:54 PM
Charter Member

AI will be writing, recording, and performing almost everything in popular media all too soon. 95% of media consumers will not know or care. People can lip sync their concerts. No one questions how someone can dance frantically for a long time and still sing perfectly. Most music sucks and will suck more when made by machines. The vast majority will not know or care.

The real artists will still scratch out a living like they always have. Some will even do well, but mega stardom? That's commerce.

Every so often someone asks about performing with a drum machine. Why anyone would kill one of the most expressive aspects of music, tempo, is beyond my comprehension. Just go listen to Eva Cassidy sing Over the Rainbow . Envision it at a rock solid tempo.

Listen to the intro of any song from the American Songbook, not to say any classical piece from the last two hundred years. You want AI to write your songs? They will sound great, only humanity will be sacrificed. Most won't care.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 04-11-2024, 06:55 AM

This article has spawned a multi-page discussion on another forum I frequent.

It (and the resulting forum discussion) is pretty negative about AI. I'm personally still operating under natural ignorance....

Steve Forbert - As We Live and Breathe
Old Yesterday, 03:22 AM

Haven't seen such a tool yet. AI tools, while promising, still have limitations.

But they can be used for writing lyrics. In my experience, ChatGPT isn't very good at this. These tools don't replace the creative spark of human lyricists, so I mostly write them myself, then I use Word AI for refining them. It helps enrich the text and elevate the quality of the lyrics. This tool is one of the cheapest available, at just $17 per month. Cheaper as well as more expensive alternatives are listed in this list of AI content writing tools.

We'll see what the future holds for us from this point of view. Who knows, maybe AI will be able to write and compose songs. But I doubt it.
Old Yesterday, 04:25 AM

I know the OP didn't want anyone commenting against the use of AI, but I can't help but ask why any creative would want to forfeit the creation of his art to a purposeless algorithm? I mean, using AI to plot out chord charts and such for a YouTube song is one thing. But actually using it to compose art? How could one ever view such a creation as meaningful?
Old Yesterday, 04:31 AM
Charter Member

If it's not AI transcribing, it's a human. Humans have been wrongly transcribing music since the beginning of time.

Don't believe everything you read.
Old Yesterday, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjbny View Post
Has anyone experimented with artificial intelligence as a tool to help you transcribe, arrange or compose music?

Yes. I see them posted sometimes.

Quote:
I was intrigued by the idea of using an AI tool to transcribe a song that I am trying learn off a YT video. I was also interested in trying it out to explore options for adding elements to some of the songs that I play. For example, asking the AI to suggest various vamps or improv sections that I could consider adding to make my current arrangements more interesting.

If you have experimented, which of the numerous music AI tools that pop up, if any, are worth exploring?

It depends. I wouldn't, because it would be like asking a computer to help me finish a crossword puzzle. Sort of like using a drum plug-in because it's easier figured out how to play drums.

But I've never been in a hurry. f I were getting paid to produce a song and had a tight deadline, who's going to know?

Quote:
BTW, if you are not interested in AI, please refrain from replying with rants about how AI will kill music, is cheating, etc.
Now you tell me!
Old Yesterday, 01:43 PM

Personally, I want AI to do boring stuff for me so I can spend more time doing fun stuff like transcribing!

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write