The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-13-2009, 04:18 AM

Default NORTHWOOD R80-MJ (review - with pics)

I was intending to give it a few weeks before reviewing this guitar. However, I have so enjoyed my first 4 days with it, I thought I’d do an early impressions review. Perhaps Ill update it, in a couple of months.

The R80-MJ is a mini-jumbo hand-made in Canada by John McQuarrie.

It has a beautifully golden, bear-claw spruce top, a closely grained, attractive, Indian rosewood back and sides, a one-piece, quarter-sawn Mahogany neck, with ebony bridge, bridge-pins, fingerboard, tuner buttons and veneer to the headstock.

The body has rosewood binding, which is unusual for a rosewood B&S guitar. The binding however, has black & white lined purfling, either side of it, which emphasises the binding and gives an unusual, yet attractive look to the guitar.

The head and neck are bound in ivoroid, which again, I found unusual, with the body having wood binding. But fortunately it has an aged, off-white colouring and looks fine.
The abalone headstock logo, fret-markers and rosette are all discreet and tasteful, much to my liking.

I’m unsure of the make of the machineheads. They look like Grovers but have the Northwood logo on them.

The guitar comes installed with a Fishman Matrix Natural 2 pickup system. The active preamp is connected to the jack socket, with no external controls. I have yet to test this out properly. Through a small combo it gives a reasonably natural sound.

The guitar came with Elixer, 12-53, 80/20, nanos on. I usually, much prefer the PB versions but these seem to quite suit this mini-jumbo. I’ll try the PBs next though. The supplied case is a very heavy duty, classic looking affair. A bit weighty but tough.

Approximate dimensions are:
Nut width – 1.75 ins., Scale – 25.6 ins., Lower bout width – 16.2 ins., Upper Bout width – 11.7 ins.,
Waist width – 9.5 ins., Upper Body depth – 3.9 ins., Lower Body Depth – 4.5 ins.

This may only be a “mini-jumbo” and although it’s dimensions aren’t that much larger than my OM and 000 guitars, it has a much bigger sound than they. With a deep bass, sparkling highs and a large presence, the R80-MJ still manages to keep the sound focused. You don’t get lost in a wash of sound, like you can with some jumbos.

The MJ does lack some of the intimacy you get with the smaller guitars, both by it’s physical and sonic presence. It’s acoustic tone is very well suited to vocal accompaniment, or would mix well with 1 or 2 other instruments. It’s acoustic tone is a little large to fit in with a lot of other big sounding instruments, although of course, amped up, external equalisation could make things work rather nicely.

The Northwood, finger and flat picks equally well I find. Yes, like a lot of jumbos, the R80-MJ is a strummer’s dream come true. Yet there is a lot more to it than that. It has a complex nature and takes some discovering, tonally. The more you dig-in and try different ideas, the more you find that which it does best.

This really is a different beast from my other guitars. I’d got very used to their size and sound. The Northwood has challenged me again. It’s a bold and powerful guitar, that needs a little taming. But in the short time I have had it, we have got used to each other, with some very pleasurable results, both in playing and composing. When I went out looking for a new guitar, I wanted something classy but different to me. The Northwood R80-MJ is all that and more. There’s a lot more to discover yet. And I’m looking forward to it.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:40 AM
Charter Member

Big congrats on a beautiful guitar that you're obviously making a connection with!! I really like the look of the rosewood bindings with the white and black purflings - very classy. The top looks awesome as well!

Is the scale really 25.6"? I always thought John's guitars were 25.5". The extended scale is always nice for lower tunings.

Enjoy it to the fullest
Old 03-13-2009, 07:48 AM

Awesome congrats! Very nice looking guitar.

How would you describe the signature tone? For some reason I think it sounds like a Larrivee?
Old 03-13-2009, 08:03 AM

Ryan: yes I've checked and rechecked the scale and it comes in at 25.66 ins.
as opposed to the dimensions quoted on the Northwood website (25.5). Yes the slightly longer scale would lend itself to lower tunings.

Eugenius: Well, they are made in the same country as Larivee and John McQuarrie worked for Larivee for a while. I've only played smaller bodied Larivees, so couldn't compare fairly. Other than, I've never felt overly inclined towards getting a Larivee but would love to buy a Northwood OM or 00.

Old 03-13-2009, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayn View Post
Ryan: yes I've checked and rechecked the scale and it comes in at 25.66 ins.
as opposed to the dimensions quoted on the Northwood website (25.5). Yes the slightly longer scale would lend itself to lower tunings.

Eugenius: Well, they are made in the same country as Larivee and John McQuarrie worked for Larivee for a while. I've only played smaller bodied Larivees, so couldn't compare fairly. Other than, I've never felt overly inclined towards getting a Larivee but would love to buy a Northwood OM or 00.

Thanks Grayn:

I know there are a handful of luthiers that came out of the Larrivee camp at one point or another and went independent. All have a similar look and feel if you will as well as sound. Not sure how I pieced it together but it just reminded me of a really good Larrivee when I looked at it. Morgan comes to mind as well. Again, great guitar.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:15 PM

A beautiful looking instrument - sorry I didn't see it sooner!

I love the headstock. I don't always like non-traditional shapes but that one is really elegant.

The ivoroid neck/wood body binding combo is the same as that used on the Larrivees and I find it a very attractive combination.

My Stanford OM also comes in at 25.6" but string tension still feels less than some 25.5" guitars I've played so I suppose there are other factors affecting the feel and playability.

Enjoy the new guitar.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:47 AM

Thanks Basher,
I'm still unsure about the wood/ivoroid binding mix. But otherwise love the guitar.
On the tension thing, having a low action will obviously lessen tension. I find that the Northwoods low action/string tension mix really works for my style of playing.
Old 10-13-2017, 06:53 PM

Default Your Northwood

I’m just now seeing your 2009 thread about acquiring a Northwood R-80 MJ. Wondered if you still have it, still like it, etc. Also curious as to brand / gauge of strings you settled on.

I’m curious because I’m taking delivery of one on Monday. Fired up!
2015 Northwood R-80 MJ
Old 10-14-2017, 09:01 PM

Not quite the same thing, but I just took delivery this past Monday of a Northwood M-70 MJ, and I am hugely impressed with both the sound and the construction. John has a winning formula with this body shape and tonewoods.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion