The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-26-2024, 01:28 PM
Charter Member

Good job on this one... I listened through a set of Sony MDR headphones and it sounds good, especially considering the recording "technique"! LOL!

Your voice sounds very good - I don't think you need to have it so loud in the mix, as it cuts very well... probably more of a concern to NOT have it be as penetrating as it might be...

The guitar sounds thin to me - I mean, I could hear all the notes, but for solo acoustic work, I would prefer (personally) to hear more body, more roundness to the tone, even the treble range (which sounded overly "clinky" on my phones...). Using just nails and fingers asks for more bass and a "softer" overall feel for the guitar - again, just my own opinion. You may actually like that tone, what do I know?

At that stage of the evening, it seems your Compact would be plenty loud enough for the room... and with all those hard surfaces, reverb is gonna happen naturally enough that any additional reverb added can distract from the overall clarity of the sound.

Is there a reason that you don't play the Olsen all the time? Man! If I had that guitar sitting next to me, I'd just play the thing all night long!!!

One thing that I was surprised to hear was that I didn't find the use of the harmonizer offensive! I'm not much of a fan of the whole "One Man Band" approach - I really like hearing what one voice and one guitar can do, so I was pleasantly surprised that the additional harmony vocals both worked and weren't overshadowing your performance.

Good job! I'd be pleased to be in a brewery that had music like that!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 04-26-2024, 02:31 PM

I just wanted to say you sounded great with your vocals there. Great song. I could not really hear enough of the guitar with the vocals being a little too loud and the crowd noise to make much of an assessment. I am glad others could for you though. Again, great job.
Old 04-26-2024, 02:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aschroeder View Post
Thank you! I'm a big JT fan and have seen him in concert close to 10 times over the years. I always mix in at least three of his songs in every set.

I've gone through countless different preamps and pedals over the years and can't say enough about the Tonedexter. It has so many ways to adjust the EQ for the pickup and IR that you can really dial in your sound. It really simplified my pedalboard since I don't need additional EQ pedals.

This is only my second gig using it, so still learning as I go. But even in a loud setting you can dial back the IR in the wet/dry blend setting to still work well. Even with a small amount of IR added it makes the tone much more natural. Plus the Schatten HFN pickup already sounds good without an IR, as it has much more natural midrange that a traditional piezo undersaddle.

I also play at least one JT song almost every time. I’m seeing him (again) next week in Honolulu!
Old 04-27-2024, 09:31 AM

Sounds great. You are very good young man!

come to one of our shows just east of Atlanta!
http://mikeandkayte.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification