The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 04-19-2024, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEdwinson View Post
Hi, Ron, I've been thinking of you a lot lately and wanted to say HI and see how you're doing. I got myself a little over-committed earlier this year, so the old social life thing got left by the wayside. I'm so glad to hear you're having a good time with your guitar. I really enjoyed building that one, just as with Bert's Ariel guitar. The absolute best part of this work is being able to create great friendships with people like you guys. What a great privilege. Lutherie is a noble craft, and I'm grateful beyond words to have had the chance to make my living this way. And Music is a noble art, the universal language of humanity... And this perpetual circle we're wrapped up in does nothing but make better human beings of us.

Be well, and prosper, my friend!

Thanks Steve! Yes, I’ve been thinking of you a lot lately as well. Following Bert’s build let me that you are thriving - Great!

At the end of March, I stepped out of heavy work responsibilities. (I’m saying semi-retired). Really, it’s just the next chapter of life; one in which the G is going get a whole lot of play time. [emoji4]. You are right, music is the universal language.

Take care, Ron
Old 04-19-2024, 11:14 AM
Charter Member

Congrats to Steve and Redcrow for a very beautiful build.

My EPC multi scale is sounding better and better as times goes on. My recent find of Marin Luxe Kovar strings on it is a perfect match for me.

I may see about bringing mine to B.I.G. this year as I am very curious how it compares tonally to the experience with the newer dual sound port versions.

That and it might make it so I don't have space to carry a new one back with me.
Old 04-19-2024, 11:36 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspiring View Post
Congrats to Steve and Redcrow for a very beautiful build.

My EPC multi scale is sounding better and better as times goes on. My recent find of Marin Luxe Kovar strings on it is a perfect match for me.

I may see about bringing mine to B.I.G. this year as I am very curious how it compares tonally to the experience with the newer dual sound port versions.

That and it might make it so I don't have space to carry a new one back with me.
Hi, Ron!
It would be great to have a reunion with Rapunzel, if you can swing it. And you can always find space to bring home a new guitar. If you're driving, just rent a truck with a tow hitch, and tow your car behind. If you're flying, just get a business class seat for the new guitar! Easy, right? There will be lots of very fine guitars at B.I.G. this year (again!). Take a close look at my shop partner Joel Teel's splendid Two Hands guitars, and Judson Riviere, for instance. These are two guys who are fairly new to the Craft, but already building top-shelf, world class instruments. I'm an old dog, been doing this for almost 25 years, and can barely keep up with these guys!
Old 04-19-2024, 12:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hi, Ron!

It would be great to have a reunion with Rapunzel, if you can swing it. And you can always find space to bring home a new guitar. If you're driving, just rent a truck with a tow hitch, and tow your car behind. If you're flying, just get a business class seat for the new guitar! Easy, right? There will be lots of very fine guitars at B.I.G. this year (again!). Take a close look at my shop partner Joel Teel's splendid Two Hands guitars, and Judson Riviere, for instance. These are two guys who are fairly new to the Craft, but already building top-shelf, world class instruments. I'm an old dog, been doing this for almost 25 years, and can barely keep up with these guys!
Hi Steve,

As they say youth and energy are often no match for old age and treachery . My Rapunzel that you built stands proudly with anything I've played and your work keeps getting better. The EPC I played at last years show was one of my favorites of the show.

There are so many incredible guitars there. I have loved Joel's work and only managed a brief spin with Judson's.

The reference to preventing my bringing a guitar back was tongue and cheek. Like many on this sub forum I seem to have a weakness for fine guitars.

Last edited by Aspiring; 04-19-2024 at 12:46 PM.
Old 04-19-2024, 12:43 PM
Charter Member

I love hearing from other Edwinson clients. It's hear-warming to know others shared my experience and came away just as awed as I have been for these many months. Like all of his creations, Steve is truly one of a kind. I'm hoping to make the BIG show in Sept. It would be amazing to meet y'all in person. Unfortunately, my left knee, the victim of an old motorcycle injury that demolished my ACL and MCL and both menisci, is playing hob with my mobility enough to make getting through airports a struggle, and I need to make arrangements for my wife's care while I'm gone. Both issues represent difficult challenges, but I've got some time to get things figured out. We'll see...
Old 04-19-2024, 12:58 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcrow View Post
I love hearing from other Edwinson clients. It's hear-warming to know others shared my experience and came away just as awed as I have been for these many months. Like all of his creations, Steve is truly one of a kind. I'm hoping to make the BIG show in Sept. It would be amazing to meet y'all in person. Unfortunately, my left knee, the victim of an old motorcycle injury that demolished my ACL and MCL and both menisci, is playing hob with my mobility enough to make getting through airports a struggle, and I need to make arrangements for my wife's care while I'm gone. Both issues represent difficult challenges, but I've got some time to get things figured out. We'll see...
I so hope you can make it to B.I.G., Bert. I sure know what it's like having to deal with those gnarly health issues while traveling. Let's just INTEND with our committed will to overcome whatever difficulties we face, and feel good, and ready to have a blast! You'll have the time of your life!

Of course, with all those other extraordinary feats of modern lutherie on display there, and other luthiers who outclass me by a mile, you run the risk of becoming smitten with a few other guitars that are at least the equal of Ariel, if not better. I'm not kidding.

Of course, one of the shining character traits of most luthiers is, we are NOT cutthroat competitors. We're colleagues who support each other and revel in each other's creations. What I said about guitars being noble instruments extends to their makers, for the most part. We're a pretty congenial community. So you will be treated as a distinguished dignitary if you attend the show.

Okay, I'm back to work with a little more detailing on Ariel. There's a pesky buzz on the D string I'm chasing down. I have a nice low, easy setup on her, and we're really splitting hairs at this point!
More photos coming soon, right, Bert?
Old 04-19-2024, 02:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I so hope you can make it to B.I.G., Bert. I sure know what it's like having to deal with those gnarly health issues while traveling. Let's just INTEND with our committed will to overcome whatever difficulties we face, and feel good, and ready to have a blast! You'll have the time of your life!

Of course, with all those other extraordinary feats of modern lutherie on display there, and other luthiers who outclass me by a mile, you run the risk of becoming smitten with a few other guitars that are at least the equal of Ariel, if not better. I'm not kidding.

Of course, one of the shining character traits of most luthiers is, we are NOT cutthroat competitors. We're colleagues who support each other and revel in each other's creations. What I said about guitars being noble instruments extends to their makers, for the most part. We're a pretty congenial community. So you will be treated as a distinguished dignitary if you attend the show.

Okay, I'm back to work with a little more detailing on Ariel. There's a pesky buzz on the D string I'm chasing down. I have a nice low, easy setup on her, and we're really splitting hairs at this point!
More photos coming soon, right, Bert?
About making it to the BIG show; the are some options to address my orthopedic issues, all of which would involve the embarrassing use of some sort of mobility aid. A cane, or god forbid a walker, or just kill me now, a portble power wheelchair. Can't afford a non-stop or business class flight, so I'll need to catch inter-connecting flights, and I don't know how much assistance the airline personnel can/will offer. That said, I need to get some questions answered by said personnel and decide how big a chunk of my pride I can swallow without choking. Making sure Judy's needs are met while I'm gone is a bit more daunting since she is wheelchair bound. She can dress and feed herself, and our bathroom is set up so she can use it unassisted. But there's always a risk of her falling out of her chair, and once she hits the floor, she's pretty much helpless. So I need to enlist someone trustworthy to be available in case of emergencies like that. These aren't insurmountable problems. So like I said, we'll see...

Oh no! Ariel has a buzz?! On the D string? Well, I have unshakable confidence in your abilities, Steve. I'm sure that buzz will soon be as dead as last years mosquitos. So no worries there As always, you're much too self effacing. While I'm sure all of your colleges are equally worthy, and I haven't the experience to judge relative talents, the important thing is you, yes YOU, are the one who has bested my wildest dreams and become a dear friend in the process.

And yes, I'll be posting more pix along the way.
Old 04-19-2024, 03:34 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcrow View Post
About making it to the BIG show; the are some options to address my orthopedic issues, all of which would involve the embarrassing use of some sort of mobility aid. A cane, or god forbid a walker, or just kill me now, a portble power wheelchair. Can't afford a non-stop or business class flight, so I'll need to catch inter-connecting flights, and I don't know how much assistance the airline personnel can/will offer. That said, I need to get some questions answered by said personnel and decide how big a chunk of my pride I can swallow without choking. Making sure Judy's needs are met while I'm gone is a bit more daunting since she is wheelchair bound. She can dress and feed herself, and our bathroom is set up so she can use it unassisted. But there's always a risk of her falling out of her chair, and once she hits the floor, she's pretty much helpless. So I need to enlist someone trustworthy to be available in case of emergencies like that. These aren't insurmountable problems. So like I said, we'll see...

Oh no! Ariel has a buzz?! On the D string? Well, I have unshakable confidence in your abilities, Steve. I'm sure that buzz will soon be as dead as last years mosquitos. So no worries there As always, you're much too self effacing. While I'm sure all of your colleges are equally worthy, and I haven't the experience to judge relative talents, the important thing is you, yes YOU, are the one who has bested my wildest dreams and become a dear friend in the process.

And yes, I'll be posting more pix along the way.
Thank you, Bert. You are punching some very large holes in my life-long inferiority complex! Pretty soon, I'll have to load myself down with sandbags to keep from floating away with my weather balloon-sized head.

I traveled with my mother a few years back, from Birmingham to San Rafael CA, so she could visit her sister. She was in her late 80s at the time, and only partially ambulatory. When I was booking the flights, I contacted customer service at the airline, and asked if they could provide wheelchair service at the airports. They did, and as I recall, it cost nothing extra. And they were spot-on, on time, and very gracious and professional at all the contact points. My mother had a splendid time, and we did not miss a single connection. They made it easier on me than they did for her! So I'm assigning you a little homework: Get online and explore these extra services with your airline of choice.

Both my mother and my disabled sister require a LOT of extra help, so we employ a caregiver up in Birmingham for my sister, and another angel of mercy down here in Fairhope for Mom. Her name is Atresia, and she takes a huge burden off my shoulders by looking in on Mom every day, and making sure she has everything she needs for comfort and serenity. There are plenty of agencies and freelancers with excellent credentials in the caregiver profession, and they are often surprisingly affordable and able to schedule care for whatever length of time you need. If you go through an agency, the caregivers are thoroughly vetted, and you can interview in person with prospective angels of mercy, and find a good person you can trust. Just about everyone I've interviewed was amenable to short-term gigs, up to and including 24-hour care. Judy should also keep one of those emergency call devices on her person; you've probably seen those "I've fallen and I can't get up" commercials on TV. She could summon help at any hour of the day or night.

I know what an onerous burden it can be sometimes, caring for a loved one who needs a lot of help. I believe you owe it to yourself to take a break and do something that's just for YOU. What is yours will come to you, so everything will fall into place, if you allow it to be so. See you at B.I.G.!
Old 04-19-2024, 05:45 PM
Charter Member

You know, sometimes I just need to be prodded a bit. You ought to consider a second career as a motivational speaker With my silly pride being the stumbling block here, you tell me your 80 y/o Mom managed a cross country adventure, no sweat. No way am I going to be out done by anybody's aging mother including yours

And you know what? I just did a quick online search for care providers here in GP and got a bunch of hits. Maybe half a dozen of them advertise they do short term wellness checks, so I'm going to get on the phone tomorrow to see what they can come up with.

This just might be doable after all. It would be so amazing to put faces to so many of the names I've gotten to know here. Especially you!! It would also be an opportunity to put Ariel in the hands of some really talented player. That alone would be well worth the price of admission.
Old 04-21-2024, 08:06 AM

B.I.G. is a pretty unique opportunity. We don't sell guitars really, we make friendships and those friendships lead to relationships and guitars.

We just got back from extensive travel with a challenged fellow. United and Southwest were very accommodating and had a wheel chair waiting for him with his name on an ipad like a chauffeur you see sometimes. With pre-boarding as well, it really should be OK.

In terms of embarrassment, that is a non-issue. I would look at you as a strong committed individual if you make it, just the opposite of someone who should be embarrassed. We also have plenty of chairs around to take a load off and just BS with your new best friends!

Mr. Aspiring...We SHIP LOL!
Old 04-21-2024, 09:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
B.I.G. is a pretty unique opportunity. We don't sell guitars really, we make friendships and those friendships lead to relationships and guitars.

We just got back from extensive travel with a challenged fellow. United and Southwest were very accommodating and had a wheel chair waiting for him with his name on an ipad like a chauffeur you see sometimes. With pre-boarding as well, it really should be OK.

In terms of embarrassment, that is a non-issue. I would look at you as a strong committed individual if you make it, just the opposite of someone who should be embarrassed. We also have plenty of chairs around to take a load off and just BS with your new best friends!

Mr. Aspiring...We SHIP LOL!
G'Morning Tom,

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm going to be checking airlines today, and it sound like United and Southwest ought to be at the top of my list. What would be the destination airport of choice coming in from the PNW? I'm also going to check with local travel agencies for a package deal including a car and lodging.

I do hope to make it to the show very much. I'm not wheelchair bound, but my walking range is limited. I've got a cane which helps, but it's a pain to drag around. At least I've got some time to work thing out.
Old 04-21-2024, 10:55 AM

I am not sure the best airline from Seattle. The closest and easiest airport to fly into is San Antonio International. We are less then a half an hour from there, it is a small airport, easy to pick up and drop off rental cars. That being said, some find better rates and more options for non-stop into Austin. We are about an hour from that airport and you will deal with traffic on 35. It is a larger airport also.

There is a Fairfield inn in Schertz as well as a Hampton Inn and Suites which my brother stays at and says is very clean with a decent breakfast. Those are an easy 15 minute drive to the house. There are also a lot of airbnbs around as this is a vacation area as well.
Old 04-21-2024, 12:29 PM
Charter Member

I think San Antonio International will be my best bet. I'm 6 hours south of Seattle, so that's not a viable departure option. The closest airport to me would be Medford, OR. It's a small airport so my choice of flights may be limited.

Serious inquiries will have to wait till Monday.
Old 04-22-2024, 04:58 PM
AGF Sponsor

Ariel is now heading west! Bert should have the guitar in hand some time on Thursday. It's about an 1800 mile journey. I'm counting on FedEx to treat the package with great care. I will be holding my breath until then. I hope I did an acceptable job building this guitar! I'm sure I'll get a verdict soon.
Old 04-22-2024, 06:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Ariel is now heading west! Bert should have the guitar in hand some time on Thursday. It's about an 1800 mile journey. I'm counting on FedEx to treat the package with great care. I will be holding my breath until then. I hope I did an acceptable job building this guitar! I'm sure I'll get a verdict soon.
So... We have ignition. I just checked Fedex and Ariel is checked in at the Mobile, AL distribution center and on her way.

I can't speak for Fedex, but I KNOW you took far more than "great care" in creating her. "Acceptable"??!! How is that word even in the mix. I would never think of denigrating your work with such faint praise. You yourself have told me she's one of your finest efforts to date. And what I have seen throughout our collaboration has exhausted my ample supply of superlatives and done nothing but support your own appraisal . I don't dole out such praise lightly, Steve.

Of course I'll give her enough time (or as much as I can stand) to "breathe" once she gets here, and then set about gradually getting to know each other. As trite and cliche'd as it might be, the phrase "romancing the guitar" come to mind. Then I'll certainly give you a full, totally honest, and sincere evaluation.

And you will accept it and embrace it and KNOW yourself for the treasure everyone else knows you and your guitars are.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop