The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-28-2024, 12:42 PM
Charter Member

Default $19k for a 1964 Hummingbird?

I see one in vg condition for that amount at a well known retailer

Seems like a steep price? The retailer has clientele to whom that amount means little to nothing so I guess the market will bear it

Oh well

Last edited by jck747; 04-28-2024 at 03:46 PM.
Old 04-28-2024, 12:57 PM

Not sure if it's worth quite that much, but if someone's willing to pay it then Normans has it priced right. :-)
2021 Furch Yellow Gc-CR MC FOR SALE
2023 Hatcher Greta
Old 04-28-2024, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jck747 View Post
I see one in vg condition for that amount a well known retailer

Seems like a steep price? The retailer has clientele to whom that amount means like to nothing so I guess the market will bear it

Oh well
Sure. A lot of people who used to be sixteen are retired billionaires now.

In the eighties I worked in an antique store, and at first I was shocked at what people would pay for an old, beat-up bed or dresser. I remember one day a woman spent $28k (keep in mind, that's eighties dollars) to furnish her daughter's summer house on Nantucket.

My boss saw me scratching my head and said, "You have to understand, these are people who have their priorities covered."
Old 04-28-2024, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
Sure. A lot of people who used to be sixteen are retired billionaires now.

In the eighties I worked in an antique store, and at first I was shocked at what people would pay for an old, beat-up bed or dresser. I remember one day a woman spent $28k (keep in mind, that's eighties dollars) to furnish her daughter's summer house on Nantucket.

My boss saw me scratching my head and said, "You have to understand, these are people who have their priorities covered."

Sure, but if you have a billion dollars, why on earth would you spend it on a mid-60's Gibson? You'd actually buy a truly collectable guitar. This guitar isn't aimed at billionaires, it's aimed at a retired doctors or lawyers who have money and think fondly of the 60's.
Old 04-28-2024, 03:07 PM
Charter Member

I once saw a video where Norm was unloading a truck full of guitars he bought at the Dallas guitar show. He said, "I paid a lot for these guitars so you could pay more."

Guess I'll hold on to my 65 Epiphone Texan. My kids might just get something worthwhile.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 04-28-2024, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osage View Post
Sure, but if you have a billion dollars, why on earth would you spend it on a mid-60's Gibson? You'd actually buy a truly collectable guitar. This guitar isn't aimed at billionaires, it's aimed at a retired doctors or lawyers who have money and think fondly of the 60's.
If you were born in 64, it's an exceptional example, and it's the cost of a mornings worth of passive income.... why not?
Old 04-28-2024, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Sure, but if you have a billion dollars, why on earth would you spend it on a mid-60's Gibson? .....
Because they aren't spending a billion on the guitar, just the same as you or me. Except, to them it's equivalent, maybe 10 cents. I believe it's grossly overpriced but to each their own.
Old 04-28-2024, 04:15 PM
Charter Member

Used to have one from the early sixties. Maybe should have held on to it.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 04-28-2024, 04:25 PM

Default $19k for a 1964 Hummingbird?

You might find this of interest:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=685052
Old 04-28-2024, 04:41 PM
Curiouser and curiouser

Hard pass for me. I don't like that model well enough to pay current retail, much less a premium for a '64...
Old 04-28-2024, 04:55 PM

Quote:
It's aimed at people who can afford it. There are people who fell in love with Hummingbirds back in the sixties and can get that guitar of their dreams now.

My sister had a prewar Gibson when I was a kid. Maybe a J-35? To me it's still the pinnacle of guitarness. I doubt it was a stellar guitar, but it's imprinted on my brain. If I were rich and saw one, I'd probably get it regardless of price. Financially, it would be like the real me buying a slide whistle.

Now think of all the lawyers and dentists and architects and developers and investment bankers and insurance executives who fell in love with Hummingbirds when they were kids. Let's not be surprised when one of them jumps at the chance to have one just like Uncle Ernie used to play.
Old 04-28-2024, 04:59 PM

People don't realize how much room to over pay for stuff wealthy folks have.

There is an entire market for shoes that cost as much as a D 28. There are purses and bags that actually get sold for over $10K, absurd $$ for wines and spirits, people that gamble super high, $1000 hoodies. Whatever your itch, it can be scratched.

I hand it to the folks that exploit the markets, but it distorts the market.
Old 04-28-2024, 05:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Yes - I thought about this one too! 9K (+-) less and beautiful too! Plus a little bit older.
Old 04-28-2024, 06:13 PM

Default Skewered market

It seems the advent of torrified tops and Murphied (...is that a word?) treatments are putting a strange twist on the high end acoustic guitar market.
The "aged wood" buzz is definitely causing a stir, however flakey (no pun intended) it might be.
IMO this is swerving buyers into original, old, vintage guitars more than ever. It seems "player grade" old guitars are really getting top dollar, and a beat up old Martin, Gibson, or Guild is suddenly a financial treasure. Do old guitars sound better? The debate rages, but meanwhile the market has totally gone crazy for anything old that might come with a story or two.
Old 04-28-2024, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAPlayer View Post
Because they aren't spending a billion on the guitar, just the same as you or me. Except, to them it's equivalent, maybe 10 cents. I believe it's grossly overpriced but to each their own.
What I'm getting at is that to an actual billionaire, a mid 60's Gibson is like you or I buying a Estaban guitar. It's not exactly going to impress their billionaire guitar friends.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion