The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-11-2009, 03:22 PM

Default Godin question...

I've noticed that almost every time I see anyone using a Godin Multiac-style guitar (super thin acoustic), it's always the nylon string version.

Is this because the steel string version stinks?
Or just isn't as good?
Or only jazz/classical types like Godin?
Or the nylons are so nice to play the steel players convert?

What's up? I'd like to get one and thought I'd pick the brains of those of you who already own one (or used to)...

Taylor GS8
Godin A6 Ultra
Old 05-11-2009, 03:33 PM

There are steel strings version, too. AFAIK, same quality.
I have one nylon ACS. Not the Multiac, but the same style of thinline-hybrid guitar. Same neck, same electronic.
I put steel strings on it (because of the wider neck). It has the hexaphonic PU, and I used to play it with the Roland VG-8, but it hadn't seen a lot of playing lately. Changes of priority.
I never liked the acoustic sound produced by the PU, but YMMV.
These are very *functional* guitars, well made, and are widely used on stage, but I prefer going strictly acoustic these days.

http://www.youtube.com/user/batzic

Last edited by jpbat; 05-11-2009 at 03:55 PM.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:04 PM

I have an A6 and love it. The tone has the warmth of an acoustic and the bite of an electric when needed. I use Martin Marquis 12's to get the sound I like.

'13 Martin D-41
'15 Breedlove Parlor
'75 Sigma DM-5
'85 Yamaha LL-15
'94 Yamaha FG 460S-12A
'91 Martin Backpacker
'08 Johnson JR-410 Square neck resonator
'00 Godin A6
Fishman Matrix Infinity & Elipse Blend pickups
Old 05-11-2009, 09:36 PM

Well I am another one with a Multiac Nylon (Grand Concert w/ cedar top). I have mostly steel string guitars and its a welcome change for me to play. I love the sound plugged in as well. It's also a very comfortable guitar ergonomically.

Old 05-12-2009, 09:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMan View Post
Well I am another one with a Multiac Nylon (Grand Concert w/ cedar top). I have mostly steel string guitars and its a welcome change for me to play. I love the sound plugged in as well. It's also a very comfortable guitar ergonomically.
I have this same guitar... A Grand Concert Duet model. Plays great and sounds even better plugged in. Acoustically, it's weak, but fun to play when I need a quiet guitar while everyone is sleeping. I use it for "smooth-jazz" type tunes.

Sorry, no experience with the steel-string version, but always thought it might be interesting for playing live gigs. I'll bet that thing would play loudly without any or much feedback. I have no fear of the nylon version being able to do that.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:15 PM

Nylons just way more available than the steel. Could only find nylons new in the stores around Phoenix when I was looking last yr
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion