The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-18-2024, 08:38 PM
Charter Member

Ah man the gas is starting to bubble up. If these had real wood fingerboard I might already own one.
Old 02-18-2024, 08:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollypolly View Post
Ah man the gas is starting to bubble up. If these had real wood fingerboard I might already own one.
Just from a utility standpoint, I’m ok with the fretboard and bridge, etc. I have other precious guitars with all the good wood. I can get on board with some alternative materials if I keep in mind my context for having this guitar. Context for others can certainly be different.
Old 02-19-2024, 01:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr81dorn View Post
I;ve never played a Baggs Element that I thought sounded good. Honky, brash, too shrill. I hate them always.
Yeah I'm in the minority re: the Element pickup. I have an Element Pro Barndoor in my Rainsong that sounds real good to my ears, so I replaced the Fishman MX-T (Sonitone) that came in my SC10e with the Baggs Element VTC and that works much better for me. So I guess different strokes...

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ

Last edited by jricc; 02-19-2024 at 07:45 PM.
Old 02-19-2024, 06:52 PM

Well, I pulled the trigger on one today! Just played plugged in for a bit and not sure if I love the sound. I'll play it at a gig Thursday and see. It always sounds better playing out somewhere. Anyone else have any recommendations for a pickup to get if I still don't like the sound?
Old 02-21-2024, 02:03 PM
Charter Member

I was following this Facebook page of SC guitar owners, and one guy there contacted Martin to inquire if the SC10e-Sapele was a solid top or all solid. The Martin rep replied the top, back and sides are all solid. I was definitely surprised by the rep's answer. Here's a screen shot of the reply.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Martin SC10e sapele woods.jpg (42.6 KB, 101 views)

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

Old 02-21-2024, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jricc View Post
I was definitely surprised by the rep's answer. Here's a screen shot of the reply.
Maybe my observation that sapele veneer on an inner layer of sapele could formally be called solid sapele wasn't just tongue-in-cheek...

I'm also surprised to see cedar being called a member of the mahogany family, and the suggestion that a sapele guitar could in fact be built from another wood Martin considers part of that family...!

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)
Old 02-21-2024, 02:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJVB View Post
Maybe my observation that sapele veneer on an inner layer of sapele could formally be called solid sapele wasn't just tongue-in-cheek...

I'm also surprised to see cedar being called a member of the mahogany family, and the suggestion that a sapele guitar could in fact be built from another wood Martin considers part of that family...!
Maybe!

I was surprised because the more expensive 13 models in the SC Series are layered/lam back and sides. But then again, the Road Series D10 sapele is all solid sapele.

Of course the koa and ziricote are more expensive woods then sapele is...

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

Old 02-21-2024, 02:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Just from a utility standpoint, I’m ok with the fretboard and bridge, etc. I have other precious guitars with all the good wood. I can get on board with some alternative materials if I keep in mind my context for having this guitar. Context for others can certainly be different.
I get that. If I gigged a lot I'd probably wouldn't hesitate to own a guitar with richlite materials. But since I'm just a wannabe, I have my quirky preferences. For example, I'd trade the back and sides for laminate sapele if I could get a real wood fretboard and bridge. Also the black tuners, no no.
Old 02-21-2024, 03:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJVB View Post
They are referring pretty specifically to Spanish Cedar, which isn't very "Cedar-y" if you, like everyone else, thinks of the likes of fencing and decking using things like Western Red Cedar as Cedar. Spanish Cedar is an actual hardwood, not a softwood like those others. It's grown in and grown like plantation mahogany and some of the other mahogany variants. It passes. They've been using it for necks years.

Having spent some time there and with their plant manager, I understand why they mix and match and why they can't be specific, but I know everyone cares about all the fine details, even if they love the sound and feel, they think it's a downgrade.
Old 02-21-2024, 04:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
They are referring pretty specifically to Spanish Cedar, which isn't very "Cedar-y" if you, like everyone else, thinks of the likes of fencing and decking using things like Western Red Cedar as Cedar. Spanish Cedar is an actual hardwood, not a softwood like those others. It's grown in and grown like plantation mahogany and some of the other mahogany variants. It passes. They've been using it for necks years.

Having spent some time there and with their plant manager, I understand why they mix and match and why they can't be specific, but I know everyone cares about all the fine details, even if they love the sound and feel, they think it's a downgrade.
Details are good, but my plain truth is, the darn thing sounds good!

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

Old 02-21-2024, 04:56 PM

Quote:
They are referring pretty specifically to Spanish Cedar, which isn't very "Cedar-y" if you, like everyone else, thinks of the likes of fencing and decking using things like Western Red Cedar as Cedar
Oh, that cedar, the stuff the neck of my Cabaret is made, which could be less confusingly referred to as cedro or cedrela?

I was thinking of cedar tops, and an SC10-Sapele that receives one of those will sound (and look) at bit too different to be explained away as "the woods are from the same family"

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)
Old 02-21-2024, 06:20 PM
Charter Member

I’d proudly own one.

Maybe I’ll own Joe’s in a year!
Old 02-21-2024, 06:58 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jricc View Post
I was following this Facebook page of SC guitar owners, and one guy there contacted Martin to inquire if the SC10e-Sapele was a solid top or all solid. The Martin rep replied the top, back and sides are all solid. I was definitely surprised by the rep's answer. Here's a screen shot of the reply.
For what it's worth, I have it on good authority that Evan (the Martin CS rep) knows his stuff

Martin Guitar Certified Online Dealer
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 02-21-2024, 08:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaurysMusic View Post
For what it's worth, I have it on good authority that Evan (the Martin CS rep) knows his stuff

Thanks Maury!

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

Old 02-22-2024, 11:16 PM
AGF Sponsor

You’re welcome!
Martin Guitar Certified Online Dealer
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion