The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-26-2022, 09:18 PM

Default NGD 2003 Takamine EAN40C12 12 string.

I needed a replacement for my Cole Clark Fat Lady 12 which is beginning to show its age.
After playing the Takamine for half an hour I pulled the trigger and put it on layby.

I looks like it has barely been played, a nice find in a 20YO guitar. it has the CT-4BII pickup system.

For what I do, which is mostly melodic style strumming, it should be fine.
The NEX body I had seen before in a Santa Fe Model I had previously owned, a little smaller than a dreadnaught.

The nut width is quite narrow for a 12, @ 1 7/8" or 47.625 mm.
By comparison my EF360S-TT 6 string is 45mm.

It will take a little adjusting to but it was playable right away, and quite a handy size package for live work.

JBL EON ONE Pro
Yamaha DXR speakers

Last edited by nrand; 06-03-2022 at 12:42 AM.
Old 06-03-2022, 12:35 AM

Default Takamine EAN40C12 highly recommended mid-priced 12 for live work.

I brought the 'new' 2003 Takamine EAN40C12 12 String home today.

The NEX body is a little more compact than a dread, so I was surprised by the acoustic sound. Out of the box and played acoustically it way out-performs my Cole Clark with respect to volume/projection when played side by side.

It looks as though it has barely been played, with not a mark on it.
I have long ago ceased caring about the barndoor preamp aesthetics,

It is not as warm sounding as the Cole Clark, a little brighter, yet very sweet.
This could be due to the solid cedar top I suppose.

Plugged in it has more punch than my Takamine EF360S-TT 6 string with the TLD-2 Line Driver.

There is not a lot written about these but I would say if you can find one used in good condition grab it.

JBL EON ONE Pro
Yamaha DXR speakers
Old 06-03-2022, 10:18 AM
Charter Member

Congratulations on your acquisition of the Takamine EAN40C12 12 String!

I played a Guild F212 with 1 13/16" (46 mm) nut width for years and for me, I thought it was just right, and I am mostly a finger picker. The Guild F512 that I acquired a few years ago has a 1 7/8" (47.6 mm) nut width and I had to get used to that.

I don't have fat fingers or particularly big hands and so for me, the narrowest nut width that I can comfortably play is best. It's a lot easier to play barre chords on a narrower span of strings and it's also easier to reach various chords shapes with a narrower nut width.

Enjoy your new (20-year-old) guitar! Very nice!

- Glenn
Old 06-03-2022, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Congratulations on your acquisition of the Takamine EAN40C12 12 String!

I played a Guild F212 with 1 13/16" (46 mm) nut width for years and for me, I thought it was just right, and I am mostly a finger picker. The Guild F512 that I acquired a few years ago has a 1 7/8" (47.6 mm) nut width and I had to get used to that.

I don't have fat fingers or particularly big hands and so for me, the narrowest nut width that I can comfortably play is best. It's a lot easier to play barre chords on a narrower span of strings and it's also easier to reach various chords shapes with a narrower nut width.

Enjoy your new (20-year-old) guitar! Very nice!

- Glenn

Thank you Glenn
One of the issues I had with my old Cole Clark was diffficulty in using a capo up the neck. With this narrower profile, capoing is much easier, and like yours, barre chords are now a breeze.

JBL EON ONE Pro
Yamaha DXR speakers
Old 06-03-2022, 02:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrand View Post
Thank you Glenn
One of the issues I had with my old Cole Clark was diffficulty in using a capo up the neck. With this narrower profile, capoing is much easier, and like yours, barre chords are now a breeze.
Excellent! A good, playable 12-string is a wonderful option! Enjoy!!!

- Glenn
Old 06-21-2022, 04:50 AM

I decided to give the fretboard and frets a good clean and polish, as a few of the frets had light corrosion on them from lack of use, and the fretboard was pretty dry and dusty. I masked off the board with masking tape so I could hit the frets will a little brasso and it worked a treat. A few passes with light lemon oil later and it is looking much fresher. I sourced a genuine Takamine pickguard from Japan to protect the cedar top from my strumming.
I will add a set of 11-52 Curt Mangan strings as these are what I have on hand.. The set that came with it had an unwound high A string and I think they were coated..

JBL EON ONE Pro
Yamaha DXR speakers
Old 06-21-2022, 04:53 AM
Charter Member

Nice guitar, Congratulations!

But something must be wrong, I can't see your pics!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion