The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-26-2013, 07:43 AM

Default How to sell a guitar?

I'm trying to sell a guitar. What sites should I use? I'm from the UK so I dont think it would be worth the hassle to send it outside of the UK.

Any advice at all.

P.S I will upgrade my account to sell it on Classifieds.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:45 AM
Charter Member

I'd use your local Craigslist....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 11-26-2013, 07:48 AM

Definitely craigslist! I've made several successful sales on there, plus it's fun meeting other guitarists - but protect yourself, be safe and meet at a public place. Be firm with your price and set a price ahead of time, because CL'ers are notorious for trying to knock down prices. Be sure to put pictures of your guitar in the listing as that will greatly increase your views. Lastly, try to get people to meet you halfway so you don't waste all your gas. Good luck with your sale!
Old 11-26-2013, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotch View Post
I'm trying to sell a guitar. What sites should I use? I'm from the UK so I dont think it would be worth the hassle to send it outside of the UK.

Any advice at all.

P.S I will upgrade my account to sell it on Classifieds.
In UK, Gumtree is a great way to sell, Scotch. It's free, and although your ad can be read all over the country there's also a good chance of attracting relatively local potential purchasers for face to face deals. Recommended.
http://www.gumtree.com/

keith.

- am sending you a PM too.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:56 AM

I have posted on Gumtree yesterday.

Wasn't sure about Craiglist. I thought it was just big in America.

I had plans of posting it on EBAY but then i realised they take 10%. So thats £100-200 gone.

local buyers are scarce here. its all metal. if there are some folk musicians they all have £200 guitar at most.

I would like to explain more of my situation and value of it but I think this conversation would be seen as a Advertisment rather than help.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotch View Post
I would like to explain more of my situation and value of it but I think this conversation would be seen as a Advertisment rather than help.
I've sent you a personal message, Scotch - feel free to ignore it, or reply in as much/little detail as you wish.

keith
Old 11-26-2013, 08:34 AM

Are there any open mic nights near you? You could try somewhere like that, even ringing up a few in Glasgow or Edinburgh and asking them to advertise it might be a good idea, I'd offer to help but I don't play out at the moment. Gumtree is good but relies on people searching for that type of guitar.

Your other option is on consignment through a shop but again, they're going to take a fair whack out of the price (this really is only worth it if it won't sell anywhere else).

If you are buying a new guitar you may be able to get a better deal trading it in with the shop, I know Moon sell second-hand instruments but don't know if they take them as part-ex, I'm sure Guitar Guitar will.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clydeslide View Post
Are there any open mic nights near you? You could try somewhere like that, even ringing up a few in Glasgow or Edinburgh and asking them to advertise it might be a good idea, I'd offer to help but I don't play out at the moment. Gumtree is good but relies on people searching for that type of guitar.

Your other option is on consignment through a shop but again, they're going to take a fair whack out of the price (this really is only worth it if it won't sell anywhere else).

If you are buying a new guitar you may be able to get a better deal trading it in with the shop, I know Moon sell second-hand instruments but don't know if they take them as part-ex, I'm sure Guitar Guitar will.
Few open mic stuff/ Pub jam sessions i do People recognise the guitar and always tell me thats a good guitar to have but no one around here is willing to pay the price of it.

I'll add some values in but this is just to help Explain Better.
Guitar Guitar offeredme £1000 for trade and cash For my guitar. The guitar i want got sold sadly. I phoned them up and got Told Lowden should have another exact model built by Feb 2014.

I'm thinking of phoning Guitar Guitar again. The women who dealt with me in the shop. Asking if they give me 1300-1500 Trade for My Guitar for the guitar i want which is £2,600.
Do you think thats me imposing too much?
Old 11-26-2013, 09:07 AM

Assuning we're talking about the S23, I think £1k as cash or trade from a dealer is a fair offer. In a private sale you might get £1200-£1400 if you get the right buyer.

Keith
Old 11-26-2013, 09:09 AM

I think it's fine, if you don't ask you don't get. I think we British are too hesitant to haggle at times.

How much is your guitar worth second-hand? The usual offer is 2/3rds of that but as a trade in you may be able to get a little more.

Bear in mind that Christmas is just around the corner, so people may be flush with cash come January.

Higher end instruments are always going to be harder to sell because of the price and the specific tastes of people buying in that range, I'll ask in a couple of shops around Glasgow what their policy is and get back to you on it.
Old 11-26-2013, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocarolan View Post
In UK, Gumtree is a great way to sell, Scotch. It's free, and although your ad can be read all over the country there's also a good chance of attracting relatively local potential purchasers for face to face deals. Recommended.
http://www.gumtree.com/

keith.

- am sending you a PM too.
Gumtree is ok except that your ad will quickly move down the list as new ones are added. Before you know it your sale is somewhere on page 11...

I prefer ebay; much bigger potential audience, and if it's a really special guitar-like your Lowden-then even foreign purchasers may well be willing to take a cheap plane trip from Europe for it. I recently sold an antique item (not musical), to an American purchaser. I had zero interest from the British.
Old 11-26-2013, 09:28 AM

Ebay takes 10% which is quite alot. But someone did sell exact same model as mine in same condition for £1700. It's either a hit or miss with Ebay.

I'll wait a Month or Two Posting on Classfieds and see if i get any nibbles but if nothing comes up I can always put it on Ebay.
Old 11-26-2013, 09:52 AM

Cool How to sell a guitar?

If you do gigs, just slap a "4 Sale" sign on the top and see what kind of offers you get, or you could include a price, along with either "firm" or "negotiable" and test the waters. Also, eBay has a UK site, that you might want to consider.

Glen
Gibson LP Deluxe/ES-347 TD/Chet Atkins CE
Fender MIA Deluxe Strat
Art & Lutherie 12-string
Bellucci Concert
Sigma CR-7
Recording King ROS-06 FE3/RPH-05
D'Angelico "New Yorker"
New Masters "Esperance SP"
Hermosa AH-20
“I never met a guitar I didn't like.”
Old 11-26-2013, 10:14 AM

I don't know if sales of guitars has gone the way of other things but ebay here(US) has just died for sales since government shut down/health care coverage crisis.Hardly any sales of my stuff..(Waterford..Carpet..).The ebay 10% fee plus another 3% PayPal cuts too much into the sale.

If you list with the Unofficial Martin Guitar Forum (no charge) and this Acoustic Forum I think is way to go.
Craigs List I've never had luck with but most have. If you do craigs list make sure you post your phone # or only email back through CraigsList Reply..never direct.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:16 AM

Not many (Post 2004) Lowdens for sale on ebay here in US.Ones that sit are a bit overpriced.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion