The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-15-2009, 05:21 AM

Default What is the Best Value "V-neck" Acoustic?

Hello Everyone!

This is my absolute first post. I just stumbled on this forum yesterday, and have been enjoying reading posts here - nice place to hang out!

I have the following issue which I was hoping you could help me with. I am looking to purchase a new acoustic, and have fallen in love with the Martin "modified V neck". I always loved Martin guitars - in particular those with a v neck. When beginning my search for a new acoustic, I demoed a number of guitars, and the one which stuck out the most was the Martin D-18v. What a guitar! My main problem is that during these economic times, I find it difficult to justify the USD 2,500 these guitars command new. It's not that I cannot afford it, but it just seems very extravagent in this economic environment.

Having done some research on the Internet, I have read good things about the Taylor DN-4. What is everyone's view on this guitar? Are there other v-necked guitars which I should be looking at which retail at a lower price? I understand that this guitar has a "shallow v-neck". Does this still provide the v-neck magic?

My criteria for the acoustic (other than the V-neck) are as follows:

1. I would like a Dreadnought, because I love the volume and sound of these guitars.

2. The guitar must be made of solid woods, and have excellent build quality. I am looking for a guitar which will accompany me for the rest of my life, and which I may hand down to a son or daughter later on. Just to put things into perspective, I purchased my last acoustic guitar almost 20 years ago when I was 16 - an OK Washburn that I never was too fond of, but was the best my teenage money could stretch to at the time.

3. I love the feel fo Martin guitars - always have. I am not married to the brand, but picking up a Martin feels like butter in my hands.

4. Asunburst finish would be a definite plus - although this is not absolutely necessary.

5. It would be great if I could keep the price to USD 1500 or less.

6. Used is probably not an option. In Europe, used guitars are more expensive than new guitars statside, and I do not feel comfortable undertaking a purchase of a used guitar at such a distant. I also like the idea of being the first owner of the guitar - am fine with used cars, but like to purchase my guitars new (I tend to keep my guitars way longer than my cars!).

Unfortunately, I live in Hungary (although am American) and have to wait for my next trip to the US this fall to make the purchase. Accordingly, I wanted to do my research before the trip to narrow down the field before going to the US to audition. I will not have much time to visit stores, so any auditions will have to be very focused.

If I am in love with the D-18V, does this mean that nothing else will do?

Again, many thanks for your help in advance for your responses!

Keep groovin'!

Budapestgrooves
Old 05-15-2009, 07:03 AM

Welcome to AGF, Budapest. I'm not a Martin aficionado, but you'll doubtlessly get some good advice here.

Hope you the best in your search.

Bill
Old 05-15-2009, 07:21 AM

Stanford Performer
Old 05-15-2009, 07:32 AM

Love my Silvercreek D170 v-neck with Solid Rosewood/Englemann tonewoods for 2 1/2 Benjamins shipped 2 day air, via secret sale at musicians friend.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:37 AM

You can get a lot of guitar for $1500 here in the US. Not sure about where you are.

I love the neck on my Recording King. Worth a shot, save some $$.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budapestgrooves View Post
2. The guitar must be made of solid woods, and have excellent build quality. I am looking for a guitar which will accompany me for the rest of my life, and which I may hand down to a son or daughter later on. Just to put things into perspective, I purchased my last acoustic guitar almost 20 years ago when I was 16 - an OK Washburn that I never was too fond of, but was the best my teenage money could stretch to at the time.
What difference does a few hundred dollars make on a lifetime purchase you plan to pass on to your children? If you really think you will keep the guitar that long then spend the money to get what you want.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy3220 View Post
What difference does a few hundred dollars make on a lifetime purchase you plan to pass on to your children? If you really think you will keep the guitar that long then spend the money to get what you want.
Jeremy is right about this. If passing the guitar down to your children is an important criterion, nothing less than the Martin will do for you. You may want to have something inexpensive to play while you are saving for your "dream" guitar, but I don't think you'll be happy with a lesser guitar than the Martin with which you have fallen in love.

Bill
Old 05-15-2009, 07:57 AM
Charter Member

Recording King or Blueridge are both great values and fit your criteria.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewyatt View Post
Recording King or Blueridge are both great values and fit your criteria.
I agree. Played a gently used BR160 at Guitar Center at under 5 bills. While I was certainly tempted but I was not too keen on the neck angle on this particular guitar. Sounded great however.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:35 AM

Might want to look into Tanglewood. Nice guitars for the price. They are from the UK, you might be able to get them locally!

Cheers,
Stephane.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCollin View Post
I agree. Played a gently used BR160 at Guitar Center at under 5 bills. While I was certainly tempted but I was not too keen on the neck angle on this particular guitar. Sounded great however.
Let me guess. The action was nice and low (about 0.100" on the bass side and 0.080" treble), almost no saddle showing, a straightedge atop the frets points about 0.100" below the top of the bridge and the 6th string is 0.375" above the soundboard at the bridge. OK break angles behind the saddle except the 1st string.

That's what I found on all the Blueridges I looked at, it's also what Yamaha seems to design in and I believe it's the norm for Stanford Performers except my particular one came with a bit higher action (everything else as I outlined).
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 05-15-2009, 08:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budapestgrooves View Post
.... If I am in love with the D-18V, does this mean that nothing else will do?
Welcome to the forum!

My guess is, if you like the D18V, that may be it for you -- it's very possible that nothing else will do, though Collings and Santa Cruz make some good versions of this guitar, too.

Regards, Glenn
Old 05-15-2009, 09:31 AM

A Martin HD-16 R LSH (large sound hole) or HD-16 R Adirondack may be just what you need. Very vintage-style V-neck, big Martin dred sound and 1-3/4 in nut playability. They sell for just slightly more than you specified, but I think they're an excellent deal for the money. I have a Adirondack model and it's a big rumbly beast of a guitar for flatpicking, yet it can be fingerpicked and sound delicate -- very responsive.

Another guitar that does fit your budget is the Larrivee D-50 which is a very Martin-like dred. It also is very responsive, and you can easily coax a Martin-like low end out of it when you want. It also has a large soundhole, which tends to equalize the mid and treble ranges. The neck isn't as v-shaped as a Martin Modified V shape, but mine was very comfortable to play. I wish I hadn't sold it.

All the other suggestions in the thread are good ones as well. Good luck.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:35 AM

runner,

Just a minor correction. I'm almost positive the HD-16R LSH has the modified low oval neck and not the mod-V like your HD-16R Adi does.

Although truth be told I'm not sure if someone's hand fits the mod-V they would necessarily find the modified low oval uncomfortable. Still, different strokes and all that.
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 05-15-2009, 09:40 AM

There have been some great suggestions so far, but if you're looking to go with the absolute cheapest v-neck solid wood guitar that you can easily find, the Epiphone EF-500 may very well fit the ticket. It's an OM, not a dreadnought, but is still a great guitar that I've been very happy with. You can probably get one for less than 1/3 of your price limit.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion