The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-26-2024, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnsgnOfIndustry View Post
I would imagine that if there were universal and consistent benefits manufacturers would be “pre-seasoning” guitars before shipping them out, no? Kind of like pleking or breaking in speakers like some boutique companies do.
There are some luthiers on this forum who do it for every guitar they build. Tim McKnight, for example. As for a small factory, Boucher does too, but I think they blast music at their new acoustics hanging in a small room (same principle). There must be others.
Old 04-26-2024, 01:27 PM

Next up: PRS P20E, laminated mahogany back and sides, solid mahogany top. It’s about 3 years old and barely played. Barely played because it sounds pretty bad. Like a little guitar with a towel tucked into it. If the TT makes ANY discernable difference at all, then it is a miracle worker. I don’t have high hopes.

This one has my interest and point of concern. The guitar I have that needs this the most is a somewhat mediocre $700 production guitar, from a company that doesn’t exactly have a stellar reputation in the acoustic world- Schecter. Got in a hurry bc it was the only 7-string acoustic available & affordable at a very crucial time. It’s not bad, just needs to, (as has been said so eloquently) to open the hell up.

I have had it and played it quite a lot for about 18 months. Solid Sitka or Engleman top, solid maple back and sides, scalloped braces. Soggy pickup removed from under the bone saddle, shimmed up with ebony from Bob Colosi. Finger style no nails player, gone through many string styles, now it wears D’Addario Nickel Bronze, my own custom gauges closest to 12s.

I have to decide whether it’s worth a shot in the dark gamble to buy this thing which essentially turns my so-so seven hundred guitar into a $1,000 guitar with zero assurance that I get anything out of it.

Just putting this out there, appreciate any feedback at all- thanks in advance!

——[/QUOTE]
Old 04-26-2024, 04:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Winheld View Post
Next up: PRS P20E, laminated mahogany back and sides, solid mahogany top. It’s about 3 years old and barely played. Barely played because it sounds pretty bad. Like a little guitar with a towel tucked into it. If the TT makes ANY discernable difference at all, then it is a miracle worker. I don’t have high hopes.

This one has my interest and point of concern. The guitar I have that needs this the most is a somewhat mediocre $700 production guitar, from a company that doesn’t exactly have a stellar reputation in the acoustic world- Schecter. Got in a hurry bc it was the only 7-string acoustic available & affordable at a very crucial time. It’s not bad, just needs to, (as has been said so eloquently) to open the hell up.

I have had it and played it quite a lot for about 18 months. Solid Sitka or Engleman top, solid maple back and sides, scalloped braces. Soggy pickup removed from under the bone saddle, shimmed up with ebony from Bob Colosi. Finger style no nails player, gone through many string styles, now it wears D’Addario Nickel Bronze, my own custom gauges closest to 12s.

I have to decide whether it’s worth a shot in the dark gamble to buy this thing which essentially turns my so-so seven hundred guitar into a $1,000 guitar with zero assurance that I get anything out of it.

Just putting this out there, appreciate any feedback at all- thanks in advance!

——
[/QUOTE]

I’ll post the results tomorrow. I’m leaving it on the TT for 24 hours. It needs all the help it can get.
Old 04-26-2024, 04:25 PM
Charter Member

I ran my 1963 LG-0 on the TT for about 30 hours. This is one of the guitars I noticed no discernible difference on.
Old 04-26-2024, 04:35 PM
Charter Member

Caveat - I think the TT works, so read the below with that in mind.

I recently picked up an Eastman E40OM-TC with long scale and bolt-on neck. These were made for one year I believe as a trial launch of the Bourgeois Touchstone OMs. It is a 2021 with minimal to no sign of play. I have placed a TT on it for about a week and it is definitely louder and better sustain. I usually run in in my office at about 1/3-1/2 volume. Today I left and increased it to full volume for about 3 hours. It had an incredible, positive affect on volume, overtones and sustain.

I usually run the TT at about 1/3-1/2 and rotate it amongst the 5 guitars I have hanging on the wall. I only have about an hour a day to play and I feel it helps especially when I can't get to one for a few days. I also like to use it on nickel strings after a change. It seems to take the initial zing out of the strings.

PS - There is no way I could stay in the room with it at full volume for longer than 15 minutes. It does get loud and annoying. 1/3 volume seems tolerable.

Last edited by tomcstokes59; 04-27-2024 at 07:39 AM.
Old 04-26-2024, 09:12 PM

Since I just crawled out from under a rock, what’s the difference between this and the Tonerite that was all the rage a while back?

EDIT: Never mind- I found my answer.

Last edited by nolesj; 04-27-2024 at 05:18 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion