The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-29-2001, 08:57 PM

Question Completely Clueless with Questions

I am getting married in October, and wanted to get my fiance a Taylor for a wedding present. The thing is, I have absolutely no guitar knowledge or Taylor knowledge. Is there anyone out there who would be willing to talk me through the buying process? Price range? 400? 500? 600 series? I would definitely appreciate it. Thanks.

[ 05-03-2001: Message edited by: Melnick ]
Old 04-29-2001, 09:06 PM
Nichols Custom Inlay

Hi Melnick,
What a fantastic wedding present!
The correct Taylor for him would depend to a great deal on his style of play and the type of music he most enjoys playing.
Does he use a pick when he plays or does he play fingerstyle? or Both?
Does he mostly strum chords or does he play lead style? or both?
Does he play mostly folk, country music, rock, blues, classical, jazz etc.
Would he use the guitar on stage?
there are many nuances involved here including price range.
I'm sure that there are members on the left coast that can help you directly via phone or if not you can e-mail me and I will send you my number.
Best of luck and Congratulations!
He is certainly a very lucky guy!

[ 04-29-2001: Message edited by: CaptBill ]
Old 04-29-2001, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Melnick:
I am getting married in October, and wanted to get my fiance a Taylor for a wedding present. He has been Taylor worshipping for quite some time, and would love to own one himself. The thing is, I have absolutely no guitar knowledge or Taylor knowledge. Is there anyone out there who would be willing to talk me through the buying process? Price range? 400? 500? 600 series? I would definitely appreciate it. Thanks.
You can always go "window" shopping with him and see what catches his eye.

What does he play now?

BTW Congrats.

got GAS?
Old 04-29-2001, 10:57 PM

Ahhhh, to find a nice lady like that to marry.... My chance will come soon...lol =P
Congratulations with the wedding and everything, CaptBill pretty much took care of the questions we needed, so we'll just get a response from you and spew at you a whole lotta guitar suggestions (but hopefully we'll say why we also think that guitar and what not).
Randall
Old 04-29-2001, 10:58 PM

I like the window shopping idea (go inside the store, of course). You may also want to consider buying it at a store that will give him the option of trading up when his tastes change. I don't know where in CA you are, but if you're in Southern CA, you may want to buy from Buffalo Brothers (http://www.buffalobrosguitars.com/) in Carlsbad. They have a 100% trade up policy that I've used more times than I'd like to admit.

[ 04-29-2001: Message edited by: buddiesorg ]
Old 04-30-2001, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Wanker:
You can always go "window" shopping with him and see what catches his eye.

What does he play now?

BTW Congrats.
Thanks for the congratulations.

I will definitely attempt the window shopping. I am just afraid he is so practical, he won't even mention what he really wants. We'll have to give it a try. And honestly, I have no clue what he plays now (hanging head in shame).I'll have to do a little investigating.

[ 05-03-2001: Message edited by: Melnick ]
Old 04-30-2001, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Warblade:
Ahhhh, to find a nice lady like that to marry.... My chance will come soon...lol =P
Congratulations with the wedding and everything, CaptBill pretty much took care of the questions we needed, so we'll just get a response from you and spew at you a whole lotta guitar suggestions (but hopefully we'll say why we also think that guitar and what not).
Randall

Me? A nice lady? Why, thank you. I'm sure there is a nice lady out there just waiting for you.

Okay, I'll copy what I emailed CaptBill as answers to his questions....My fiance uses an acoustic for playing for his own enjoyment, and for praise and worship at church. He both fingerstyle(?) and picks. He plays both chords and leads. He plays mostly folk, classical, and blues. I would like to keep the price realistic, but not skimp. So, what do you think?
Old 04-30-2001, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by buddiesorg:
I like the window shopping idea (go inside the store, of course). You may also want to consider buying it at a store that will give him the option of trading up when his tastes change. I don't know where in CA you are, but if you're in Southern CA, you may want to buy from Buffalo Brothers (http://www.buffalobrosguitars.com/) in Carlsbad. They have a 100% trade up policy that I've used more times than I'd like to admit.

[ 04-29-2001: Message edited by: buddiesorg ]

I am in Southern California. Thank you so much for the tip. I was wondering about being able to exchange it if he didn't like it. That helps ease the decision-making pressure a little bit. Thanks so much. You guys are great.
Old 04-30-2001, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Melnick:
Thanks for the congratulations.

I will definitely attempt the window shopping. I am just afraid he is so practical, he won't even mention what he really wants. We'll have to give it a try. And honestly, I have no clue what he plays now (hanging head in shame). I know he is not happy with it. I'll have to do a little investigating.
Just add some oohs and ahhs pointing at a couple and maybe he'll make a comment or two about which ones he thinks are better. Of course don't over do it or he might catch on.

Of course if you go with a store that will let you trade you can always just get the one in your price range.

got GAS?
Old 04-30-2001, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Wanker:
Just add some oohs and ahhs pointing at a couple and maybe he'll make a comment or two about which ones he thinks are better. Of course don't over do it or he might catch on.

Of course if you go with a store that will let you trade you can always just get the one in your price range.
Yeah, I think I may be able to get something from the window shopping experience.

I've heard..and read on the boards, that a 514CE may be a good choice. Any thoughts? What is the approximate price for a 514CE? Thanks....
Old 04-30-2001, 02:00 AM

514ce seems like a good choice. It's seems like the perfect all around guitar. the x14 body style is made for the kind of person that both does strumming with a flat pick (chords) and fingerstyling. Also the combination of mahogany sides and backs and a cedar top, it gives it a nice rich tone. I'm not sure on the current MSRP on 514ces, and I don't know where my catalog went right now =(

Hehe, hopefully if you do go window shopping with him to a place (Buffalo Brothers would be a NICE place, I hear they have a big selection of Taylor Guitars), he won't suspect anything, lol.

Oh, another thought about the 514ce I forgot to mention. It has the electronics built in. Dunno if he likes that or not, but since he does worship at your church, it should be easy for him to plug in to an amp and go (well, that is if your church likes having it plugged in).

good luck with all the chosing! If you would like to make it really special, I believe you can order engraved mother of pearl Truss Rod Covers. Not sure how it would look on a 514ce though, since there's not too much MoP on it.
Randall
Old 04-30-2001, 09:08 AM

Hi Melnick:

My playing style, preferences and setting are similar to your fortunate fiance's. For a really good bang for the buck, I would recommend a 414 or 414ce. Awesome sound, playability, looks (if you don't mind satin back and sides) and, of course, price.

May God richly bless you guys.

Jay

Gibson J45 1942 Banner Reissue Custom Shop
Gibson Advanced Jumbo Custom Shop
Martin HD-28
Martin OM-28
Martin 00-15M
Fender Tele Highway One Reissue
Fender Jazz Bass
Old 04-30-2001, 10:55 AM
Bob Womack

Unhappy

Hi Melnick.

I agree with Jaygon when he says, "May God richly bless you guys." I think it's really nice that you want a guitar for him and that you want to get it right.

Call Taylor at 1-800-943-6782 and ask for a catalog and price list.

The -14 bodies are typical choices for people who play both fingerstyle and flatpicking. The 514ce is an EXCELLENT choice. The cedar top will make it a nice warm instrument to play when he's alone in the living room, and the built-in electronics make it good for live work. You are arriving on the scene at a good time: a few examples of last year's line with the abalone rosette (circle) around the soundhole are still around but the new ones with an Hawaiian Koa rosette are arriving as well, so you might be able to choose.

While the 300s and 400s are excellent guitars, Taylor says the 500s are the beginning of the more "formal" Taylor lines with gloss finish on the backs as well as the fronts. The nice thing is that you really can't go far wrong with a Taylor and a dealer which allows exchanges.

Save the more ornate guitars for a 20th anniversary gift or something! My wife did that for me.

May the Lord bless your marriage!

Bob
Old 04-30-2001, 01:24 PM
Jim

You can't go wrong with any Taylor and either the x14 or x10 models would do just fine for the kind of music you say he plays. Just buy the nicest one you can comfortably afford.

I wouldn't worry too much about him wanting to trade it in on something else. If he's got a romantic bone in his body he would keep it forever, not only because it will sound great, but because it will have been a present from you on your wedding day. If he ever says he wants to trade it in on "better model", you might want to suggest to him that you were thinking of trading him in on a "better model".
Old 04-30-2001, 01:46 PM

Thank you everyone for all of your help. (especially pdlepine for a very detailed 5 page email!)I did order the catalogue, but with all of the choices I was lost.

I have gotten some new info, though. He would like a cutaway? pick-up, some mother-of-pearl (abalone) inlay? and mentioned that koa wood was awesome. He also mentioned the Taylor he wanted was $1,800. I'm not sure what he is talking about exactly, because I haven't been able to make his criteria match a guitar. I still think from what everyone has told me, that a 514CE is the one I should go for. ...the 314 is more in the price range he mentioned, but does a 314 have the mother-of-pearl (abalone) and koa? I don't even see koa mentioned unil in the 500 series.

And thank you all for the help and congratulations...and may God bless you as well. You are definitely the nicest group of people I have come across on any message board.

And Jim, you are right, he would never trade it in. That is why I am trying so hard to get it right. I want it to be what he wants, because I know he will keep it. The trade-up option being there is good for my peace of mind, though

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion