The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-03-2019, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Here we go, we completely agree While I first learned and still use the major and minor pentatonic, as basis for my lead work, I like being able to throw in some variation when it feels right.
A breakthrough moment.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 11-03-2019, 12:50 PM

For the person that asked,the more you move away from rock and blues stuff, the more you need to know the scales beyond the pentatonic scales. The pentatonic scale is a simplified one that does NOT use all the notes of a scale, but only 5 of them. It works great for rock and blues. Add one extra note and you have the "blues scale". But, it can feel limiting and is really what I think of as the " good enough " scale when the chords change beyond the basic 3 or 4 in the key.
1986 Ovation 1758 12 String
2007 Walden G2070
2008 Guild D55 Prototype
1998 Guild Starfire IV
2016 Guild Newark St. X-175 Sunburst
1996 Ovation 1768-7LTD " custom "
Old 11-03-2019, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archerscreek View Post
I don't sweat the small stuff like forgetting lyrics or playing wrong notes. Haha
Depends on the venue really. This was in one of those places where it's deathly silent when the performer sings and the audience is hanging on your every word so mess ups can be a bit terrifying if you forget all the lyrics. If I was in a noisy pub/restaurant doing a cover song I wouldn't care less, you could sing total nonsense lyrics and 90% wouldn't notice as long as you keep the rhythm going!

Old 11-03-2019, 08:58 PM

One of the fears in the video is getting injured from a string breaking. This is not likely to happen with an acoustic guitar. When an acoustic guitar string breaks the two pieces just flop down and don't recoil much at all.

However, if your guitar is equipped with a vibrato, such as a Gretsch Bigsby, when a string breaks it does recoil. I cut my hand once while tuning my Gretsch when the string, which was under spring tension, broke and recoiled against my hand.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion