The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-07-2000, 05:20 PM

Post X10 Taylor with a X14/12 Width neck???

Has anyone ever special ordered any X10 series Taylor requesting the 1 3/4 " nut width? How did it go? Any problems? It would seem that this would be a truly all-purpose combination (fingerstyle comfort and dreadnought boom).
Old 12-08-2000, 06:57 PM

No, but I special-ordered the opposite "ideal" combination -- a 514C with a 1-11/16 wide dreadnought neck. Got the balanced tone and comfort of the x14 body, with the width neck that felt so familiar after playing a dread for 25 years. I think a lot of dreadnought players would love this combination, especially if the wider x14 standard neck feels a bit too wide.
Old 12-14-2000, 03:13 PM

Cool

Here's an interesting tidbit- around Thanksgiving the dealer in my area showed me a letter from Taylor regarding line changes for the upcoming year. There was a ton of interesting stuff listed but one thing that suck with me was that all guitars will now be built with the 1-11/16 neck. (Excepting, of course the twelve-strings) All else will be special ordered. I'm sure this is common knowledge to many but it was news to me.
Old 12-14-2000, 03:21 PM

well being a new "fiend" and all I guess I should learn to check my spelling. That line should read "one thing that stuck with me" not "suck" with me, in fact it does not suck at all. I own and have owned some of each and like them both. I guess you can't be all things to all people but fromm my experience Taylor has been pretty good about custom orders, all you have to do is write the check.
Old 12-14-2000, 03:46 PM

Interesting...I heard the opposite: All nut widths would be 1 3/4" (not 1 11/16")--?? What other new changes/models has anyone else heard of?
Old 12-14-2000, 05:09 PM

I'm confused.

Are you guys saying that next year all 4 models (concert, auditorium, dread and Jumbo) will be made with the same width neck?? So if I want a concert body with a 1 3/4s neck I have to custom order it?

Am I getting that correct from your posts? I hope I am not right in that assumption. I have not heard that.

Erm
Old 12-14-2000, 05:42 PM

Fear not Fellow Taylorians!

I have sent word to Mount Cajon of your fears and expect a lightning bolt carring a return message of wisdom at any moment (translated: emailed the sales staff).

When I know you'll know (if someone doesn't find out sooner...)
Old 12-14-2000, 09:00 PM

Sorry Erm but that pretty much sums up what I saw, in addition to different price points for the walnut and 900 series and that the DDSM will be produced as a full line model due to high demand. Not trying to cause a stir, looked legit to me, Taylor letterhead and all.
Old 12-15-2000, 09:38 AM

Hey imnojimi,

I know you were not trying to cause a stir, I am sorry if my reply seemed like I was a little shocked. I did not see that change coming at all and I am trying to think of the benefits of one sized neck for all 4 models. If anyone has any thoughts about this I would like to hear them, I am concerned about this change.

Also, PF thanks for sending that message to Taylor for clarification.

Erm
Old 12-16-2000, 11:02 AM

This is what I received from Taylor's sales department.

Thanks for contacting us! We are making all 6 string models next year with
a 1 3/4 neck width. We will offer a 1 11/16 neck at no extra charge. Your
512-c will have a 1 3/4 neck on it. If you require further assistance, we
can be reached @ 800-943-6782. Thanks again.

Taylor Guitars
Old 12-18-2000, 09:32 AM

Thanks PF,

I guess I'm still scratching my head a little over this one. Are there a lot of players that would like a 1 3/4s neck on a dread or jumbo?

As for me personally the next few guitars I buy will be small bodies so this change doesn't really make a difference to me but if I was looking for a dread or a jumbo I think I would want a 1 11/16s neck. I know Taylor said you can order one but if you like to play it first it rules that option out.

Maybe Taylor has received numerous requests like Camalex's post that it makes sense to do this?

Old 12-18-2000, 09:51 AM
Nichols Custom Inlay

Hi ERM,
I just recieved my KLSM which is a Jumbo body with a 1 3/4" neck. It makes the guitar very versatile as it works well for fingerstyle but still is a cannon when strummed. The guitar comes strung with medium gauge strings and at first I was not 100% happy with the sound & feel. After disscussing it with Taylor I changed it to light gauge and made adjustments to the truss rod. The guitar seems to have really come alive.
Bill

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion