The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-26-2024, 07:30 AM

Default New Larrivee Simple 6 Premier Series

Anyone excited for the Larrivee Simple 6 series?
https://www.larrivee.com/news/simple...er-limited-run

I know they had a limited run a few years ago, but it's nice they are making it a permanent series in their line up.

I never got to get my hands on one since the dealers in my area basically sold out as soon or before they got them in the shops.

Seen a few reviews and sound samples online, and they sound amazing.
Maybe not the best looking or appointed, but for the price and USA made, looks like its hard to beat!

Can't wait to get my hands on one and possibly purchase.

Anyone already have one of the previously released ones or a new one?

Last edited by jmhill; 03-26-2024 at 07:39 AM.
Old 03-26-2024, 08:23 AM

“…looks like it’s hard to beat.”

Nice turn of phrase! I’ve yet to play a simple 6, but Larrivee is incapable of making “lower tier” guitars. The engine is always the same with the paint job only changing.

Last edited by BlueBowman; 03-26-2024 at 08:29 AM.
Old 03-26-2024, 08:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmhill View Post
Anyone excited for the Larrivee Simple 6 series?
https://www.larrivee.com/news/simple...er-limited-run

I know they had a limited run a few years ago, but it's nice they are making it a permanent series in their line up.

I never got to get my hands on one since the dealers in my area basically sold out as soon or before they got them in the shops.

Seen a few reviews and sound samples online, and they sound amazing.
Maybe not the best looking or appointed, but for the price and USA made, looks like its hard to beat!

Can't wait to get my hands on one and possibly purchase.

Anyone already have one of the previously released ones or a new one?
I had one about 5 years ago and I regret selling it. I've had a lot of Larrivees and they almost always seem stiff (dare I say overbuilt?) and I never really bonded. That one seemed like the airiest, fullest Larrivee I'd ever played and in a showroom that had everything they offer, it stood out as the best sounding by far.

They are incredible values - right there with the 15 series from Martin, as really hard to beat all solid USA-built instruments.
Old 03-26-2024, 08:51 AM
Charter Member

I think it's great to see. I've owned two Larrivees for years and am always interested in what they're up to. My impression is JCL & family place importance on producing fine quality instruments in a price range that's reachable for many. I'm a fan.
Old 03-26-2024, 09:36 AM
Charter Member

I bought a new OM simple 6 about five months ago. Fantastic guitar. Probably just a coincidence but it sounds a lot fuller than my old OM40. It really sounds like a dread to me. My only complaint is the frets are a bit sharp which I've never had on a
Larrivee before.

I currently have all three of my Larrivee's out on stands right now. Maybe I'll take a group photo after work.
Larrivee P03 sitka/hog,simple 6 OM & OM 09
Eastman E100ss-sb
Gibson J185 & 2016 J35
Fender player plus telecaster & Mustang P90
Gretsch MIK 5622T
Old 03-26-2024, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr81dorn View Post
I had one about 5 years ago and I regret selling it. I've had a lot of Larrivees and they almost always seem stiff (dare I say overbuilt?) and I never really bonded. That one seemed like the airiest, fullest Larrivee I'd ever played and in a showroom that had everything they offer, it stood out as the best sounding by far.

They are incredible values - right there with the 15 series from Martin, as really hard to beat all solid USA-built instruments.
I had similar experiences with many Larrivee models, while I thought they sounded good, I didn't think they were great.

I do own a 000-60 that blows my socks off. Almost didn't pick it up to play because I thought it was going to sound the same as other models I had tried in the past.
Don't know if it was the bracing or because it's part of their "Traditional" series...maybe built differently compared to other models. I don't know too much about Larrivees builds.

I will say, on the videos I saw on youtube, the simple 6's definitely have a very open sound, so I'm excited to get to try one out eventually.

Cheers
Old 03-26-2024, 10:42 AM

Yeah, I think that some Larrivee’s do start out being a bit tight, so it’s a fair criticism. But all factory guitars are gonna have variations, so it’s not unique just to one brand. We just have to play enough until we find the one that balances out all the factors that are most important to us. In fact, I think that’s the beauty of factory guitars (the variation).

IMO, when you can find the Larrivee with the right balance (airiness, sustain, tone, etc.), it will be an exceptional guitar.
Old 03-26-2024, 12:30 PM

I played an OM Simple 6 at Willie’s in St. Paul during the limited run period a few years ago and loved how it sounded. I would have seriously considered it, but I was there that day to pick up an 0M-09 I had ordered.
Old 03-26-2024, 01:50 PM

I'm definitely interested in the Simple 6 OM. Is the new Premier Series available yet? Can't seem to find anything online.
Old 03-26-2024, 04:31 PM
Charter Member

I don’t think the premier series are any different than the previous releases. Just some new nomenclature. I bought a 2023 model in natural finish. Specs are the same as current model.
Larrivee P03 sitka/hog,simple 6 OM & OM 09
Eastman E100ss-sb
Gibson J185 & 2016 J35
Fender player plus telecaster & Mustang P90
Gretsch MIK 5622T
Old 03-26-2024, 05:24 PM
Charter Member

I'll just say that I've never played a Larrivee that wasn't stellar. My L03 is one of my favorites for gigging.
Old 03-26-2024, 05:27 PM

I'm a big fan of Larrivee guitars. Lots of factory guitars require time to "play in." My impression of the Simple 6 series is that they sound like a good Larrivee, but they seem a bit expensive for the lack of adornment. Though I'm middle-aged now, so I am likely out of touch.
Old 03-26-2024, 06:22 PM

When I bought my first Larrivee in 2004, I paid less than $500 for a new flamed maple parlor with a satin finish. I now own two more Larrivees and if I didn’t already own a dread and an OM, I would buy a Simple 6 in a heartbeat.
Old 03-26-2024, 07:10 PM

I have played two of these in a local shop, they both sounded excellent, very big and resonant sound. Not tight at all. Look great in person, especially the sunburst. They also played really well, great neck, great action, well set up but also very well made.
2021 Martin HD-28 1935 Sunburst
2022 Martin Special 16
2003 Alvarez AJ-60e
2018 Les Paul Standard
2020 61 SG reissue
2013 Fender Mustang Bass
Old 03-27-2024, 06:19 AM
Charter Member

I recently bought a 2021 OM-04R that just amazes me each time I play it. It's part of their Traditional series with Martin type bracing and I don't know if I've ever heard an OM-28 that is better. I have a buddy who is a working musician and he owns a couple of Collings, a couple of Larrivee's and a 30's Gibson 12 fret 00. The Gibson and at least one of his Larrviee's make every gig. I am currently shopping for an SD-40 after watching too many YouTube videos

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion