The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-26-2024, 07:58 PM
Charter Member

Default Martin HD-28 vs Yamaha FG-5

I’m considering picking up a square shoulder dread which i currently don’t have, and am considering these two. I’ve played an HD28 but not the Yamaha. I’ve heard the FG-5 is a pretty versatile guitar and easy to play (slightly shorter scale length) but Martin would be the more traditional choice and hard to beat for bluegrass playing (a style I dabble in but don’t play predominantly). The Yamaha is of course a lot less expensive. Anyway, I won’t be able to a/b these before buying so thought I’d check here to get folks’ thoughts. Thanks, Mike

Last edited by MikeInBethesda; 03-26-2024 at 08:07 PM.
Old 03-26-2024, 08:42 PM

I don't know why, but my LL16 (regular/longer scale length) is easier to play than an FG5. The FG5 feels tighter and less responsive to finger picking (Same strings on both). You might not find the shorter scale length to make a significant difference in playability. Other factors are more important, like neck shape and string gauge, and whether you downtune your guitar.

I'd try an LL16 if you haven't. They're amazing. They don't sound like Martin dreads though.

I've had some bad experiences ordering guitars online and making special orders through local shops recently. I'd advice against buying any guitar you can't try in person and can't easily return if you discover something you don't like about it after a few days. Trying guitars in person first and having full-refund return option is really important.
Old 03-26-2024, 08:46 PM

I had a Yamaha L6, which is a really nice hand made guitar, made in Japan, not China as the new LL series is. I thought it was pretty hard to beat until I bought my HD28. That guitar sounds like an orchestra! I sold my Yamaha.

My website:
http://draudio56.wix.com/warren-bendler

"It's hard...calming the Beatle inside of me."
Old 03-27-2024, 06:30 AM

The only way you could ever compare the Martin with the FG5, or pretty much any other mid level Yamaha, is to buy the Yamaha at a place with a generous return policy, and then take it out to do your own head-to-head during the return window.

I just did the same thing with an LS16. I've never even seen one in real life, so I ordered it for roughly $900 OTD. Fortunately it was absolutely stellar and I liked it much better than the other smaller body Martins and Taylors I was considering at the shop.

BTW, like Movehome mentions above, my LS16 came with a great set up and plays super easily all the way up the neck. Probably the best player I have right out of the box. The LL16 would be the full-size body version.

Last edited by Rpt50; 03-27-2024 at 06:36 AM.
Old 03-27-2024, 07:45 AM

Think about checking out the Eastman E8D-TC. I just sold a Martin D18 and then bought the Eastman. Couldn't be happier. I also have the Yamaha FSX5. The Red Label Yamaha guitars are fabulous if that is the voice you are looking for.
Pono 0000-30DC
Yamaha FSX5, LS16, FG830, FSX700SC
Epiphone EF500-RAN
2001 Gibson '58 Reissue LP
2005, 2007 Gibson '60 Reissue LP Special (Red&TV Yel)
1972 Yamaha SG1500, 1978 LP500
Tele's and Strats
1969,1978 Princeton Reverb
1972 Deluxe Reverb
Epiphone Sheraton, Riviera
DeArmond T400
Ibanez AS73
Quilter Superblock US[/I]
Old 03-27-2024, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movehome View Post
I don't know why, but my LL16 (regular/longer scale length) is easier to play than an FG5. The FG5 feels tighter and less responsive to finger picking (Same strings on both). You might not find the shorter scale length to make a significant difference in playability. Other factors are more important, like neck shape and string gauge, and whether you downtune your guitar.

I'd try an LL16 if you haven't. They're amazing. They don't sound like Martin dreads though.

I've had some bad experiences ordering guitars online and making special orders through local shops recently. I'd advice against buying any guitar you can't try in person and can't easily return if you discover something you don't like about it after a few days. Trying guitars in person first and having full-refund return option is really important.

Within Yamaha's line, their new FG9 series would be the guitar that most closely matches to an HD-28 Martin...but...the Yamaha is a fair bit more expensive due to it's much smaller production numbers, and being much more handmade by a very small group of luthiers at Yamaha Japan.

If you are able to afford the higher price tag, that is the Yamaha you should be looking at. They were specifically designed and voiced in the "Martin" sound style, for those players seeking a Yamaha with that Martinesque...tone.

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Old 03-27-2024, 09:51 AM

It's apples and oranges really, gonna sound very different. You would have to play both and decide which tone you like the best. As another poster said maybe buy the Yamaha from a seller with a generous return policy. I've played both and like both but they are different
Old 03-27-2024, 10:31 AM
Charter Member

I've never played an FG9, played a lot of others though and I have yet to play anything else that I would ever consider trading my HD35 for. Could be just my taste for tone ! Good Luck
Old 03-27-2024, 10:40 AM

Reality check, one will have the highest resale value in the industry and one will have miserable resale value. Choose wisely.
Old 03-27-2024, 11:19 AM
Charter Member

Thanks all for the comments. I had wondered about the FG-9 as well for sure, and interesting to know that they tried more directly for a Martin voicing. I'm not crazy about the fret marker on that model (I like simple, old school aesthetics) but I've heard great things and should probably play one. Noted and agreed on the resale difference.
Old 03-27-2024, 12:52 PM
Charter Member

I can’t speak to the new Yamahas vs a HD-28. My gut instinct would be to go with the Martin, but I can attest to the toughness of the old 70s and 80s Yamahas. When I was in the Army, I had a quite a few 70s era FG-335s that were good solid guitars that could take adverse conditions and keep going. I drug them all over the world for 8 years. If I was tight for space when leaving, I’d leave it for the next guy and pick up another one when I got where I was going.
Old 03-27-2024, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifivic View Post
Reality check, one will have the highest resale value in the industry and one will have miserable resale value. Choose wisely.

Which only matters if resale value is an important consideration for the given person. It is not for me personally, and personally, I think it is a lousy data point to factor in to a buying decision on a guitar, because it has nothing to do with how good, or how "right" the guitar is for a person as the proper instrument for them to own.

It has always seemed...to me...as a "I won't fully commit to this guitar...one foot in, one foot out" thought process. But I seem to be clearly in the minority on this idea...at least on guitar forums anyway.

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Old 03-27-2024, 07:50 PM
Charter Member

I went down this path. Crazy to me, I wound up with a used Gibson Songwriter EC, and I love everything about it. The neck is amazing. Not too thin, 12” fretboard radius, really easy to play. And it sound great. No more yearning for an HD-28 or Yamaha.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 03-28-2024, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInBethesda View Post
I’m considering picking up a square shoulder dread which i currently don’t have, and am considering these two. I’ve played an HD28 but not the Yamaha. I’ve heard the FG-5 is a pretty versatile guitar and easy to play (slightly shorter scale length) but Martin would be the more traditional choice and hard to beat for bluegrass playing (a style I dabble in but don’t play predominantly). The Yamaha is of course a lot less expensive. Anyway, I won’t be able to a/b these before buying so thought I’d check here to get folks’ thoughts. Thanks, Mike
I would unquestionably go with an FG-5. I have played one side-by-side with the Martin 28s, 18s, 35s, 45s, etc., and I like the Yamaha better. Guitars, however, are very personal and subjective. I am not a Martin hater at all, but their standard dreadnoughts have not impressed me for several years now.

As far as the Yamaha FG-9, you would have to compare that more to boutique builders like Boucher, Collings, Santa Cruz, etc. That guitar is up there with the LL26, 36, and 56.
Old 03-28-2024, 03:27 AM
Charter Member

If I’m not mistaken, the FG-5 has mahogany back and sides, so the closer comparison would be with the D-18, tonally. I have six dreadnoughts with mahogany backs and sides (Standard Series D-18, D-18 Modern Deluxe, D-18 Authentic 1937, Collings D1A and two Pre*War Guitars Co. Model Ds), so my ear is drawn to the “Martin tone,” especially a drier, vintage tone. I’ve played FG-5s (and some of the vintage Red Labels) and they are great guitars, and have their own sound/tone. It’s a bit like comparing a J-45 to a D-18—each has its own tone.

I played the FG-9 at the Fretboard Summit a couple of summers ago. It’s a standout guitar. Yamaha did a ton of R&D in their California lab to create it. I find the tone to be more modern than vintage. As I mentioned, my preference is for guitars that try to mimic the tones of vintage guitars (Martin or Gibson), which I find is harder to do with rosewood than with mahogany. Once I get above the HD-28 price point, I would be more drawn to a Pre*War Guitars Co. herringbone, or perhaps a used aged authentic Martin.

If resale is a concern, buy used, or buy a PWGC guitar (new or used).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion