The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-03-2024, 04:46 AM

Default Pickup installed vs from the factory

Ok... So after going back and forth between a few different guitars I'm finally ready to pull the trigger on a Martin D28. My journey started off looking at the D16E Specials - a poor mans D28 I know... Then my wife asked me "why are you settling? Just go get the D28".

So now the dilemma... At my local guitar shop there are two beautiful D28's.

An HD-28E w/ the LR Baggs Anthem installed from the factory and an Ambertone D28.

I'd prefer the Ambertone but it does not have a pickup installed. I know I can get one installed by a local luthier, but I'm really apprehensive about that. I'm I crazy for leaning toward the factory install vs trusting a luthier install? Keep in mind this guitar will be my new primary gig guitar and get lots of use - not just a wall queen!
1998 Fender Jazz Base
2001 Fender Stratocater - Eric Clapton Edition
2006 Taylor GS 8
2008 Fender Stratocaster - John Mayer Edition
2012 Takamine 12 String
2022 Fender Acoustasonic Player Telecaster
2023 Martin HD-28E LRB
Fender Deluxe 900 Amp
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe III Tube Amp
Bose L1 Pro8

Last edited by DrunkUncles; 05-03-2024 at 06:22 AM.
Old 05-03-2024, 04:58 AM
Charter Member

I’ve installed probably a dozen pickups myself and I’m no luthier. Trust the luthier. Pickups aren’t that hard to install.

Far more important IMO that you get the guitar you want. Pickups can always be changed.
Old 05-03-2024, 05:39 AM
Charter Member

Mobilmike is right. Get the guitar you want first. A luthier can handle the rest.
Old 05-03-2024, 05:54 AM
Charter Member

It's a good opportunity to think about which pickup suits your uses best too, rather than just using whatever comes in the guitar. Though the Anthem should be good in a lot of settings.
Also double bass, electric bass, cittern, mandolin...
Old 05-03-2024, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkUncles View Post
…I'd prefer the Ambertone but it does not have a pickup installed. I know I can get one installed by a local luthier, but I'm really apprehensive about that. I'm I crazy for leaning toward the factory install vs trusting a luthier install? Keep in mind this guitar will be my new primary gig guitar and get lots of use - not just a wall queen!
Hi DU…
Guitars - even same model - do not sound/play identically acoustically. If you prefer one over the other, that's the one you want to bring home.

Any tech or luthier should be able to install the pickup you want, and it won't affect the way the guitar sounds/plays in the room. If unsure, ask local players about the tech/person to be sure they are reliable.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 05-03-2024, 06:42 AM

Well for starters, every guitar, even the same model will sound a bit different. However, here you have a HD-28 and a D-28 which are in fact different. I would get the model you want. You will regret going for a different model just because it has a pickup. Also, the Anthem is technically an aftermarket pickup. It was most likely installed in the HD-28 after the guitar was built so having one put in by a luthier for the guitar you want is very easy.
Old 05-03-2024, 08:03 AM
Charter Member

My question is, how much abuse will your main gigging guitar get?

I got these three Martin dreads last year;

D-16 Special, D-18 Adirondack, 1979 D-35

I think the 16 Special belongs in any conversation about Martin Dreads. In a blind test on the UMGF comparing it with an HD-28, most people picked the 16 Special.

Before I got mine I tried it comparing to a d-35 and another time with a D-18. When I compared it to the D-35, I liked the 35 better but the guy I was passing it back and forth with like the 16 better and said he was taking it home if I wasn't taking it. The other time I liked it better than the D-18.

I also like the pickup plugged into my Fishman Loudbox. When it's adjusted right, it has a lot of presence and a very good sound.

You should get the guitar you want, but before you decide, you should go play them all. And besides, it's fun going out to play more guitars.

I don't know how you local store is pricing the D-28, but you should be able to get 15% off of the 16 just for asking.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification