The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-06-2024, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
All of this ^.

I have to admit for me, and it's just me, the hardy har-har from those intent on making fun of the more expensive pick users gets pretty biblically old around here. It reminds me of the "humidity problems are a wives' tale" crowd. I'm sorry to be so blunt and I'm not pointing fingers specifically, but I'm willing to bet a decent proportion of those who wag their fingers, boast their opinion, and chuckle from their high horse probably couldn't hear the difference in the first place.

Literally no one in this thread has made fun of people using expensive picks.
Old 04-06-2024, 07:52 PM
Charter Member

Default +1 for primetone picks

They are my go to
Old 04-06-2024, 08:16 PM
Charter Member

Primetones are my pick of choice.
Old 04-06-2024, 10:15 PM
Charter Member

In this new millennium, I keep picks in all my jeans/shorts "pickpockets" all the time, and one or two more in my wallet just in case they fall out in the laundry.

Waaaay back in the day, there were occasions when I'd find myself at random parties with somebody's guitar thrust into my hands. "Hey Tinnitus, you're in a band, play some songs for us!" But stuck firmly in my preferred rock/blues styles, I'm distinctly handicapped without a pick.

"Emergency Plectrums" saved the day more than a couple times back then and I'd certainly rather have one of these in my right paw than nothing at all. Problem is, you can't get one for any less than $5-10 these days. I don't know about boutique, but "artisan" might apply.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8540.JPG (28.6 KB, 112 views)

Last edited by tinnitus; 04-06-2024 at 10:41 PM.
Old 04-06-2024, 10:50 PM

It really is amazing how much a different pick changes the sound. The guy in the video is right. You probably don't actually need a new guitar!

Do picks make as much of a difference to the sound on electrics?
Old 04-06-2024, 11:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
Yeah, such a guy. Bought a BRZ D 28 from an old guy for $3500 and flipped it for over $6,000. Someone felt so bad they bought the guitar to give back to the old owner…
The older gentleman had owned the D28 for over 60 years. That situation was opportunistic and sad. It really stuck in my craw. I have avoided watching his videos since then.

I like the dark brown Primetones, Celluloid, and CLP’s Vespel, Casein, and Black. I use 1.4 and 1.5 large triangles.
Old 04-07-2024, 12:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by movehome View Post
It really is amazing how much a different pick changes the sound. The guy in the video is right. You probably don't actually need a new guitar!

Do picks make as much of a difference to the sound on electrics?
Yes, depending of course on what you like.

Heavy picks are too rigid on my electrics. None of the feel I'm accustomed to. Plenty of strong volume, but they lack flexibility/tonal finesse.

Thin picks feel flimsy and flabby requiring more "armstrong" work to wail/growl. Weak volume, empty tone, and "mushy" handling, not crisp/articulate for fast tricky stuff (Hendrix, Zep, Skynyrd, BÖC, etc.).

As always, just one guy's opinion. Mark Knopfler uses bare fingertips and Brian May uses a sixpence coin.

Last edited by tinnitus; 04-07-2024 at 12:26 AM.
Old 04-07-2024, 01:03 AM
Charter Member

I did the full blind test. And I liked him playing pick 4 the best.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 04-07-2024, 04:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post
I did the full blind test. And I liked him playing pick 4 the best.
Interesting. I generally avoid watching Jeremy the Guitar Thief, too, but I watched the whole thing as well and liked pick #3 the best. I think it’s the D’Addario Pro Plec, which are a little over a dollar apiece.

I’ve never played a Gravity pick, so have no personal opinion of them. I’m a fan of picks made out of casein and Vespel, but I’ve come to the conclusion that a speed bevel on a thick pick (1.3mm +) can make almost as much difference as pick material. And I agree that the Primetones are probably the best bargain in terms of tone per dollar (euro, pound, etc.).
Old 04-07-2024, 04:50 AM

His channel is just click bait but masquerading as an informative channel, he just uses it to get what he wants and make money ripping off pensioners in the meantime. Why anyone would listen to him is bizarre, but then sheep follow.
Gibson J-45 JT project "1942 Banner" (Adi/Mahogany)
Eastman E20P (Adi/Rosewood)
Sigma-SDR-28MLE (Adi/Madagascan Rosewood)
Sigma SDR-45 (Sitka/Rosewood)
Sigma SDM-18 (European/Flamed Mahogany)
Freshman FA400D (Engelmann/Rosewood)
Freshman FA300 (Cedar/Hog)
Voyage Air VAD-06
Old 04-07-2024, 06:41 AM

Grampa said if we all liked the same things, everybody would be chasin' Grandma.....

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 04-07-2024, 07:22 AM

I love primetone big triangles. I also love bluechips, and my new charmed life casein. They all sound and feel different, and I like them on different guitars for the way they sound on that guitar. Primetones are great picks though and punch way above their pricetag.
Old 04-07-2024, 07:36 AM

Bought a pack of Dunlop Primetones, 1.3, and a pack of Dunlop Ultex, 2.0. recently - I did like the Primetone, but for the guitars I'm playing and the sound I was after, I preferred the Ultex; slightly warmer and less drag when picking, Interestingly, I think Primetones are also made of Ultex, but the texture and feel of them are quite different. Some of that might be the gauge difference and the more exaggerated bevel on the Ultex.
Old 04-07-2024, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
He says there are 3 main types of pics, nylon, tortex, and synthetic tortoiseshell. Ask anyone here and you're bound to get another half dozen types of material commonly used in picks. Just off the top of my head, I can think of Vespel, Peek, PEI, Casein, Celluloid, acrylic, horn, bone, shell, metal, and tusq.
And I have some of Fred Kelly's Delrin thumbpicks. It's a friction-free plastic used in machine parts where liquid lubrication won't work.
Old 04-07-2024, 08:07 AM

a players preferred pick brand doesn't denote playing superiority over other brand users although some think it does

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion