The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-26-2013, 05:22 PM

Default mid-80's Sigma DM 2 : solid top?

Hello all,
I am new here... trying to find info on a guitar I am about to purchase. It's a Sigma DM 2 : mid to late 80's, made in Korea. Great condition for its age. Question I have is about the workmanship of the guitar... since some of you know about Martin-Sigma's (I have been searching on here for info), can you tell me what you might know about this specific one? (from 2nd half of '80's) I have uploaded a few pics, but I do not have the guitar in hand just yet. I am wondering if it is a solid top- owner does not seem to know. I am still contemplating the purchase last minute... it's not a hefty price or anything, just wanting to get a really nice sounding guitar which I can also play outside, keeps tune well, etc... have heard great things about older Sigma's.

Thanks in advance if you can help me!
-Jill

EDIT: I have added 2 pics of the guitar into my member gallery so click on my profile to see pics, cheers.

Last edited by Mtn.belle; 11-26-2013 at 05:47 PM.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:35 PM

FYI - I have added pics of the guitar in question.... click here to view:
http://www.acousticgallery.com/photo...0&ppuser=96476

Last edited by Mtn.belle; 11-26-2013 at 05:44 PM.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:12 PM

Cool Sigma DM2 - Solid Top?

I have done extensive research on Sigma Guitars, and have included relevant information below. I hope it helps.

The models made between 1980 and 1984 in Japan are almost always solid top with laminate back and sides (like Shenandoahs), as the Japanese manufacturers had used up their stock of seasoned woods by 1980. The paper labels were dropped in favor of stamping the back brace. In 1984, production was shifted to Korea, and in 1993-4 to Taiwan, where it continued until Martin sold the brand to a German company. In general, the quality of the guitars declined in Korea to a medium or lesser grade level. A few Taiwanese (like the DR-28) are surprizingly good, but they're rare. It is worth noting that all the Martin produced Sigmas (except the DR-41) are designated with the quality grade of 1, meaning there is no lower quality possible, a curous honesty on Martin's part!

Which old Sigmas are worth buying? Here's a guide. The most desirable vintage Sigmas are almost any of the "old logo" Japanese made models: the DR-7 (a D-21 clone), the GCR-7 (a rosewood 00-21 clone), the DM-5, the CR-7 classical, the DR12-7 12-string. The first Sigma catalog (1970) also shows a DJ-7, made of jacaranda or Brazilian rosewood, but I know of no one who has ever seen one in the flesh! Secondly, 1980-84 Japanese made DM-18, DM-19, DR-28, DR-28H, DR-35, DR-41, DR-45 are all excellent guitars but are sometimes inconsistent: 1981-83 DR-41's are laminate; the 1984 DR-41 was solid woods! Where they are laminate construction, the veneers are of high quality and it's often hard to distinguish their sound quality from solid wood. In 1980, Martin produced 100 Anniversary Sigmas (model 10), a solid mahogany dreadnought; equipped with a brass or ivory saddle, ebony bridge pins and medium strings and you can hunt down D-18's in the heaviest brush and stomp them to death --- it's a very loud and impressive guitar! In 1981-82, Martin produced a small number of models labelled "MartinSigma / USA" and designated by an "N" at the end of the model name: DR-28N, DR-35N, etc. These were made in the Martin factory in Nazareth, PA. They are just re-labelled Shenandoahs, a pretty good guitar. The DR-7 model was also continued through 1980-84 in Japan, with the addition of a DR-9 and DR-11, all made in very small quantities.

Based on the information above, I would conclude that the DM2 is most likely laminated. If you remove the endpin, you should be able to see if the back & sides are a wood laminate, and inspection of the wood around the soundhole will tell you whether the top is solid or laminate.

Glen
Gibson LP Deluxe/ES-347 TD/Chet Atkins CE
Fender MIA Deluxe Strat
Art & Lutherie 12-string
Bellucci Concert
Sigma CR-7
Recording King ROS-06 FE3/RPH-05
D'Angelico "New Yorker"
New Masters "Esperance SP"
Hermosa AH-20
“I never met a guitar I didn't like.”
Old 11-26-2013, 06:25 PM

Thankyou Glen! Massively helpful and very informative, I guess mine is still a mystery since it's mid to late-80's and made in Korea... I'm fairly certain it is laminate, just was wondering about the top being solid or not. I guess I will find out soon enough if I complete the sale. Owner himself has sworn it to be a lovely sounding guitar.
Cheers for the info, Jill
Old 11-26-2013, 06:40 PM

Default Sigma D3M

I have and enjoy the sigma D3M D-dreadnaught, 3- the grade of wood used, M- Mahogany back and sides if you can follow the wood grain the sound hole the its solid as well mine is spruce the down side is that they are low grade compared to the dm5 but some argue that a sigma can and does sound as good as a martin ( heaven forbid ) but I know my father in-law had one that did sound amazing
S.S.Stewart Archtop
The Loar LM 520 VS
Old 11-26-2013, 10:31 PM

Judging from the one i used to own(in the mid-late 80s)that top is a little TOO solid to be considered a musical instrument.
Why waste your time playing such a thing..
Old 11-27-2013, 12:26 AM

I had a MIK Sigma DM-3 probably from the 1980`s sometime that was all laminate. I had the adjustable bridge removed for an all solid one with bone saddle and added some Gotoh SG360 tuners to spiff it up a bit.

The Sigma was a pretty good sounding guitar....until I played a Yamaha FG700s. I soon sold the Sigma and bought the new Yamaha FG700s and haven`t regretted the move even for a second.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:43 PM

Thanks for sharing all... I am going to buy it anyways since I think it will be far better a purchase than a newer laminate guitar in my price range. They made things better back in the day, for the most part. I will report on here whether it has a solid top or not once I have it in hand...... cheers from new Zealand. Jillian
Old 11-28-2013, 01:22 AM

Jillian... I think you're going to enjoy the guitar.

I have a 1991 vintage MIK DM2 which has a solid spruce top that has darkened and richened wonderfully over the years. The sides and back are rosewood and while I'm not certain if they are solid or laminate, the guitar is a beautiful playing and sounding instrument. While not fancy nor high priced, they are excellent instruments.
Old 11-28-2013, 01:06 PM

I own a MIK DM3Y from the 80's. I have actually had a difficult time finding out whether the top is solid or laminate, but my luthier says it's laminate, and I agree. The tone is very nice, but the volume is quiet for a full-size dreadnaught. I had mine set up nicely, and now I can't get myself to unload the guitar, despite owning too many guitars. The neck and action are delightful, comparable to my better guitars. The top wood veneer has aged to a beautiful color, too. I hope you ending up liking yours as much as I do mine.

Taylor 856, Taylor GC7, Martin 00-28, Breedlove Oregon Concertina, Breedlove Jeff Bridges Signature, Guild JF55-12, Guild D212, Larrivee OM3, Eastman E20 OM, Farida OT22w, Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra, Blueridge BR-361, Pono 0-15 mango, Journey OF-660, Tanglewood TWJP parlor (Nashville tuned), Paul Reed Smith SE Custom.
Old 11-28-2013, 02:26 PM

Thanks DHart and RM, I look forward to see how it plays. This was all on a whim but sometimes thats the be best way! There is a buy/sell site here in NZ called TradeMe which is a bit like Ebay and Craigslist combined but far better. One can get to know a seller on Trademe which builds trust, especially for purchases such as guitars. Check it out sometime! Right now there is an ex-Courtney Love guitar on TradeMe..... haha

I will have to post my findings on here once I have it in hand. I really like this forum now that I have checked it out properly...

What does MIK mean?

Cheers, Jillian
Old 11-28-2013, 02:29 PM

RM, what does the 3 and the Y stand for in the Sigma range? Thanks for your input btw.
Old 11-28-2013, 03:42 PM

Jillian,

MIK is just shorthand on this forum for "made in korea."

Regarding the 3 and the Y in the DM3Y, my understanding is that the Sigma line, like some others, used higher numbers to indicate higher quality or more "bling" for the same design. I've never been able to find out what the Y means. Someone said that it was a "youth" model guitar, but my DM3Y is full size.

Taylor 856, Taylor GC7, Martin 00-28, Breedlove Oregon Concertina, Breedlove Jeff Bridges Signature, Guild JF55-12, Guild D212, Larrivee OM3, Eastman E20 OM, Farida OT22w, Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra, Blueridge BR-361, Pono 0-15 mango, Journey OF-660, Tanglewood TWJP parlor (Nashville tuned), Paul Reed Smith SE Custom.
Old 11-28-2013, 06:33 PM

Hmmm, interesting. Yes I searched on here and did not find meaning for "Y". All good about the rest though... makes sense. Thanks!
Old 12-15-2014, 11:58 PM

Default Sigma DM - 6

Along the same line of questioning, can anybody tell me anything about the Sigma dm-6? I purchased it over 20 years ago for $100.also where can I get the specs on it?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
dm 2, dm2, martin-sigma, sigma