The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-01-2022, 02:30 PM
Charter Member

Default Unusual case humidification technique--didn't occur to me

I have always had a fear of using a Soundhole humidifying system. I have seen water spots inside other's guitars.
Thus for the past two years I have placed my Music Nomad system at the top of my headstock on my Hiscox Artist case. It has worked well. Plenty of space. However, there were a few issues. Obviously more moisture is released at the head stock, and dissipates downward. That means a higher humidly at the head than at the body. I helped this by covering the headstock and string down the fretboard with cloths.
Recently I purchased the Hiscox Pro II for my other coveted guitar. While the Pro II has plenty of room at the Headstock...the depth was not the same as the Hiscox Artist. Thus this system would not work well in this new case. I was now faced with where to place the Music Nomad sponge system.
And then it occurred to me....Maybe if I placed it in the accessory compartment moisture would still get out? After all, it is not sealed and moisture escapes even in a close case after two weeks. While I had tons of stuff in the accessory compartment...it is only back up stuff like extra strings, bridge pin pullers, and wire cutters. And if I travel, I will put my Thumbpicks in there. But otherwise...it is all things that I do not typically use.
So I removed all of that extra stuff ...and put in some velcro for which the Sponge system to attach to. The Accessory compartment lid to the ProII has a tiny gap. And so the experiment began. It works perfectly! just the right amount of moisture escapes into the rest of the case.
But the Hiscox Artist case lid was much more tight fitting. Would it work with that as well? Happy to announce a big yes.
Anyway...for those who might feel the same way as I do and are a bit afraid of soundhole systems; the Accessory compartment for your sponge system seemingly works!
And Now I will just arrange a man purse, for all of my extra stuff instead of using the accessory compartment. It was always a hassle trying to get everything to fit anyway.

At the time I took this picture...the room humidity was 34%. Keeping the case closed, with camera ready in one hand....and then opening I got reading from 43% to 45%. Only have a few seconds after you open the case before the level starts dropping to match the room humidity. I also believe the moisture will spread out more evenly this way.
Old 03-01-2022, 02:46 PM

thanks for sharing, great idea..

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 03-01-2022, 03:15 PM
Charter Member

I thought it prudent to also show pictures of inside and how I have mounted it.
I used the wide pro Velcro strips and run one continuous piece up three walls inside the accessory compartment.
Music Nomad has a Velcro piece on the back of its holder.
Oasis makes a felt like holder. The original intent of this product is so that you can attached you Oasis meter by the soundhole as it wraps around the strings. But that would be just too much hassle to have to remove it from around the string each time I took the guitar out of the case. Good gracious...I put in and take out my guitar many times during the day.
So instead, I wrap this cloth around the accessory compartment lid...and it has always stayed so perfectly. Of course, if you open the compartment..then it would come loose. But no need for that.
I also find this cloth is great for measuring inside the guitar. I simply place the meter vertically on the cloth inside the soundhole..and close the case for 5 minutes. Look at the reading and then put back over the accessory compartment. No need to do this test more than a few times.
I am in no way sponsored by Music Nomad or Oasis. Just like their products.

https://www.oasishumidifiers.com/pro...-holder-oh-20/
Old 03-01-2022, 04:42 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Good idea. A couple of years ago I started keeping a Herco clay humidifier in the accessories compartment as a boost during the worst of the heating season. Got all the bases covered. Humidipak by the headstock, Herco in the compartment and Humidipaks in the soundhole (safely snug in their waterproof pouch). That and a room humidifier keeps me right around 45%-50% during those occasional (and usually brief) Oklahoma cold snaps.

”Stumblebum Blues” on the Walker Clark Fork (Advanced Jumbo)
”Hydro Genesis” on the Walker Clark Fork (Advanced Jumbo)
Old 03-01-2022, 05:24 PM

I have had very good results using a cheap and simple green Scotchbrite scouring pad, wet it and squeeze & shake off excess then place inside a ziplock sandwich bag that has 5 or so stab holes from a steak knife.
Old 03-01-2022, 05:33 PM
Runaway Tomato

Great idea - as a Hiscox case user, DOUBLY great idea! Thanks for posting this info Knives&Guitars!
Former AGF Moderator
Old 03-01-2022, 06:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Stone View Post
Great idea - as a Hiscox case user, DOUBLY great idea! Thanks for posting this info Knives&Guitars!
Thank you so much for the kind words Mark Stone.
Sincerely, I have learned so much from AGF threads....it has helped fine tune my acoustic tone and get the sound I have always wanted...through learning about Back and Sides, Top woods, strings, Picks and more. And then all the accessories needed to keep my guitars in great shape.
So at this point I feel obligated to pass on any ideas worth consideration, so that others might benefit as I have.
Old 03-01-2022, 11:39 PM
Runaway Tomato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
Thank you so much for the kind words Mark Stone.
Sincerely, I have learned so much from AGF threads....it has helped fine tune my acoustic tone and get the sound I have always wanted...through learning about Back and Sides, Top woods, strings, Picks and more. And then all the accessories needed to keep my guitars in great shape.
So at this point I feel obligated to pass on any ideas worth consideration, so that others might benefit as I have.
Clicks "Like"
Former AGF Moderator
Old 03-02-2022, 08:23 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for a valuable tip Knives&Guitars.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 03-02-2022, 08:41 AM

Great solution! I've always just dropped the sound hole Nomad into the strings but I suppose there is a bit of risk. Your idea seems to be working great as the hygrometer indicates. Another thing I did that started mostly in harsh Winter months was use a traveling soap dish at the headstock with holes drilled in the sides and a super sponge inside. My RH stayed over 40 all year long with this configuration even in Colorado's harshest months. I just began using both all year long.
Old 03-02-2022, 09:05 AM

I suggest “getaway bag” or something besides “man purse”, otherwise, thanks for the tip [emoji23]
Old 03-02-2022, 10:09 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Nicely done! Thanks for sharing the wisdom and handiwork!
Best,
Jayne
Old 03-02-2022, 11:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten View Post
I suggest “getaway bag” or something besides “man purse”, otherwise, thanks for the tip [emoji23]
For 30 years I have been using a "Raiders of the Lost Arc" type camera bag.
Thin, and hugs against the body. I would use one bag for my 35mm film camera. It has zippered pockets on the front and back and well as separate compartment on the inside. I would carry it similarly as shown in this famous seen, just not quite as low. Still Wraps around my back but rides above the hip for me.

I bought a second bag just for Airport travel and are still using it today. The thin front and back zipper pockets are great for passports, wallets and tickets. While the inside lets me carry on a sweater & pocket camera. Rules stipulate that you can carry on one carryon and one purse(man purse in my case).

So I am thinking this basic concept would also be nice for my acoustic guitar accessories. Guitar Tuner, Blue Chip Thumbpicks, extra strings, and all of the string changing necessities(bridge pin puller, winder, wire cutter) I just have to decide on what the perfect dimensions will be. But thin will be my primary focus.

Old 03-02-2022, 11:48 AM

I've wondered if this would work or not, just never tried it. It takes more than just one humidifier of any kind to keep the levels up in my cases here in Iowa in the winter though.
Yamaha Pacifica 212VFM Flamed Maple
Old 03-02-2022, 12:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry_D View Post
I've wondered if this would work or not, just never tried it. It takes more than just one humidifier of any kind to keep the levels up in my cases here in Iowa in the winter though.
That is the good thing about the guitar's accessory case, there is plenty of room for a couple of humidifiers if needed.

The Accessory case lid.. is seemingly working as a diffuser.
If you have any knowledge in Pro photography lighting, I believe the concept is similar. Between a single light bulb source...and a Soft box in which a light is placed inside. The Soft box does exactly what the name states...it softens the light. It bounces off the internal walls and comes out in all directions. Comparing to a single light and no soft box that irradiates from one spot. Obviously, water and light are different and in reality it does not work quite the same. Regardless of not having the same working properties...the Lid makes the compartment itself a type of staging area. The lid is restricting the immediate outflow.
I live in a very friendly Climate on the West coast. It is only lower humidity now because of strong winds. So I also would be interested to know if a second unit is needed in states with super low humidity.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion