The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-05-2011, 01:50 PM

Default Why do we play

I know why we play. Because we love it. Pure and simple. But why do we love it? I spend hours every day practicing guitar and I used to be that way about piano. It is so satisfying. But why? I am far from great. If I want to hear really good music, I'll play it through my iPhone or stereo. What is it about making our own music, however imperfect, that is satisfying? It can't just be the sound because we could listen to others play. So why is it so satisfying to play our own music, even when we stumble through it? Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Buscarino Cabaret
Bourgeois OMC (Adi/Madagascar)
Bourgeois OO (Aged Tone Adi/Mahogany)
Bourgeois 0 (Italian spruce/Madagascar)
Old 11-05-2011, 01:58 PM

Interesting question. I started playing because my musical heros back in the '80s played and it enabled me to play along with them (while listening to their casette tapes). Now, I enjoy playing and writing. One of the enjoyments in my life.
Old 11-05-2011, 02:11 PM

Being creative is an innate human need and although creativity can take many avenues many find the creative expression of music very satisfying. For me I love to sing and I love acoustic guitar music and find that in singing songs that express how I feel is part of what keeps me sane.
Old 11-05-2011, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andromeda View Post
Being creative is an innate human need and although creativity can take many avenues many find the creative expression of music very satisfying. For me I love to sing and I love acoustic guitar music and find that in singing songs that express how I feel is part of what keeps me sane.
well said Bill
Old 11-05-2011, 02:22 PM

I think you are right. I think it's the act of creation that pulls us. In a way, it's like the distinction between hearing music live and a recording. Or theatre vs a movie (though the analogy doesn't quite hold as well there). We hear the same music from a particular musician or group live as when it's recorded, and sometimes the live performance has flaws. But we love the live performance. Maybe it's all about being in the presence of art being created at the very moment. Something about the process that draws us in.

Buscarino Cabaret
Bourgeois OMC (Adi/Madagascar)
Bourgeois OO (Aged Tone Adi/Mahogany)
Bourgeois 0 (Italian spruce/Madagascar)
Old 11-05-2011, 02:28 PM

We all play for so many reasons. For me the feeling of accomplishment is like a drug. And because that feeling is there for you every time you pick up your guitar, its like an endless supply of regular happiness and occasional elation.
Taylor GA5e
Johnson J017
Old 11-05-2011, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlouie View Post
well said Bill
Thanks Louie!
Old 11-05-2011, 02:43 PM

I just couldn't imagine myself not writing songs... it's one of those things that's just a huge part of who I am.
Old 11-05-2011, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andromeda View Post
I second that.....

Very interesting question, when I think about it, why do I put myself through bloody, sore, fingers when there are much easier options out there to soothe the soul? And much less expensive.

I wasn't born a natural guitarist like others and always have to fight hard to get where I am and still do. So, why don't I find other easier avenues that I am more comfortable with or comes natural to me? Like drumming.

As Andromeda says, we are a creative lot and I too love singing, dancing and playing the drums, never did I think I would play a guitar, but I did. Why? Because it's the heart and soul of music.
Old 11-05-2011, 04:27 PM

My answer isn't that deep.

I play because it's FUN to make music.
Old 11-05-2011, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryb View Post
I think you are right. I think it's the act of creation that pulls us.
I don't think it's always as 'grand' as this. Very often it's the desire to copy something we've seen or heard that struck us as cool. As a teenager, I would see some batsman at cricket play a particular shot, and I would avidly attempt to play that shot and I'd feel great if I could come close because the shot was so very fine. I think the same happens with guitar playing. We see/hear Ry Cooder, Big Bill, Eric Clapton, whoever, playing something really cool and we can't rest (well, okay perhaps a bit ...) until we can nail that great song or wonderful lick. I don't think we are always engaged in some sublime act of 'creation' when we're plucking away on a Sunday morning. More often than not, I'd hazard that it's the satisfaction of developing a craft or skill that produces something nice-sounding rather than some urge to be original.
Old 11-05-2011, 04:54 PM

Why do kids like to bang on drums? Why do people enjoy singing? Make a joyful noise unto the Lord.

Acoustic guitars are nice to look at and hold. It's nice to pluck a string and feel the vibration live in your ears and body. It's even better to play two notes, or a chord, or a sequence of chords. The participation and feelings can't be replicated by listening to someone else play.
Old 11-05-2011, 07:43 PM
Whippersnapper

I play because I have to. Mentally, physically, emotionally, spiritually; I need that outlet.

Oh, and it's buckets of fun.

Bel isi,
-kyle
www.kurtscobie.com
Old 11-05-2011, 08:41 PM
Charter Member

Making music, of any sort, seems to be one of the "highest" endeavors in which a human can participate... regardless of skill level. I have heard that said and read it in many holy writings, and it just "rings true".

More and more, science is realizing that EVERYTHING is comprised of vibration; causing the strings to vibrate and offering that, sending that out into the heavens... such a transcendent joy!

Of course, when I was 7 years old, I didn't think of any of this stuff; I loved music and I loved to sing, and it seemed a wonderful thing to make noise on the guitar...

Over the past 5 decades, music and the guitar have been SUCH a huge part of my life! Even when I'm not playing, I'm thinking about it, thinking of songs to do or songs to write... the guitar has been (and continues to be!) my teacher, mentor, confidant, lover, friend, traveling companion, confessor, partner...

...and I wouldn't want it any other way...

play on......................................>

John
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 11-05-2011, 09:01 PM
Charter Member

I play because it's relaxing and fun. There is something very intriguing about creating music from a pick, some stings on a box, and me - even when I'm copying somebody else's music.

I also play because it's the coolest thing in the world to give away the gift of music.

Steve

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion