The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-19-2024, 03:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurth View Post
there's no history. that's your imagination. perhaps you've been in that isolation booth one too many hours.
I'm not alone in feeling exasperated by your responses. There have been private conversations where others have expressed the same feeling.

The issue is that, very often, you either offer bad advice or you disparage good advice when it's offered by another. Then, when challenged, you become insistent and unpleasant to deal with. Quite some time ago, I resolved to minimize my interactions with you. Doing that allows me to continue to happily be a part of this community. I enjoy my interactions here and I enjoy trying to help people navigate the gear minefield, helping people better understand the recording process, helping people improve their technique, helping people spend their money wisely, etc.

Others here are doing the same thing and I don't think I'm incorrect in saying we do it out of kindness. We try to help people avoid the mistakes that so many of us made when we started and we do that without an agenda or any ulterior motive unless you count the joy I (and perhaps others as well) feel in helping those who come to this forum seeking help and advice.

I've watched you get into arguments here with people who are clearly miles upon miles ahead of you in recording knowledge about things are aren't even slightly controversial. I've seen you try people's patience. How many times have I seen you discourage people from treating their recording spaces as if you had some secret knowledge the rest of us missed somehow? People come here trying to move forward but your advice will often have them spinning their wheels in place or moving backwards. When I say it's "exasperating," that's me being kind.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 04-19-2024, 04:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurth View Post
people on agf assume that recording of guitar is done as the sole end result. Sure...if you're recording acoustic guitar....alone by itself...use every tool to bring out the elusive nature of acoustic guitar. But...if you're recording acoustic guitar as accompanying a vocal song with other elements....sorry...those beautiful stereo mic'd tracks don't retain their power the moment a human voice enters the picture.
First:
Quote:
people on agf assume that recording of guitar is done as the sole end result.
While true that many here do record solo acoustic instrumentals That fact does not mean they "assume" everyone else does also.

Second:
Quote:
sorry...those beautiful stereo mic'd tracks don't retain their power the moment a human voice enters the picture
. As a blanket statement is simply not even close to being the case. There absolutely nothing in the fact of simply adding a voice to an acoustic guitar mix, that would preclude the value of a pair of mics on the guitar .
In fact arguably a well recorded pair of mic's panned left and right will not only leave more room in the center of soundstage for the vocal, but may tend not to conflict as quite much in the mutual frequencies common to both guitar and voice

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2024.3 Sonoma 14.4
Old 04-19-2024, 04:24 PM

Buy the guitar you like to play, and the recording benefits will follow. Yamaha guitars are well thought off in your price range.

A built in acoustic guitar pickup and particularly built in effects are not important for recording. Apple Logic has a ton of high quality effects built in, so you can use those effects better within Logic. This last point, the utilty of built-in-effects in an acoustic guitar, is not even close.

If you're looking to sound like the acoustic guitar sounds by itself, recording with a microphone is highly preferable to using a pickup in most cases. So you'll need an audio interface and at least one mic. There's lot to learn with recording, but the that learning can be rewarding each step of the way. There are helpful people here to guide you on that next step.

If you are recording instrumental acoustic guitar music, you should probably aim to record your guitar in stereo (two mics).

When asking your next questions, budget concerns or limits are helpful things to let us know about.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....

Last edited by FrankHudson; 04-19-2024 at 07:56 PM. Reason: clarity, had to leave quickly while typing my initial answer
Old 04-19-2024, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
I'm not alone in feeling exasperated by your responses. There have been private conversations where others have expressed the same feeling.

The issue is that, very often, you either offer bad advice or you disparage good advice when it's offered by another. Then, when challenged, you become insistent and unpleasant to deal with. Quite some time ago, I resolved to minimize my interactions with you. Doing that allows me to continue to happily be a part of this community. I enjoy my interactions here and I enjoy trying to help people navigate the gear minefield, helping people better understand the recording process, helping people improve their technique, helping people spend their money wisely, etc.

Others here are doing the same thing and I don't think I'm incorrect in saying we do it out of kindness. We try to help people avoid the mistakes that so many of us made when we started and we do that without an agenda or any ulterior motive unless you count the joy I (and perhaps others as well) feel in helping those who come to this forum seeking help and advice.

I've watched you get into arguments here with people who are clearly miles upon miles ahead of you in recording knowledge about things are aren't even slightly controversial. I've seen you try people's patience. How many times have I seen you discourage people from treating their recording spaces as if you had some secret knowledge the rest of us missed somehow? People come here trying to move forward but your advice will often have them spinning their wheels in place or moving backwards. When I say it's "exasperating," that's me being kind.
one thing about so-called "experts"..some reason they're always indignant when they're disagreed with....even keeping score. There's always more ways than one. The op doesn't even have a daw setup. The fact is he specifically asked about pickups. Maybe I should preference all my comments with imho. Here....imho you can get very acoustic sounding recordings using artificial means, other than mics. I personally like a mic source, among others, but there's 100's of tools. And you've never heard my recordings....so you have less than zero idea where I stand...except on accepting bs. And I hope that's clear.
Takamine F349, Takamine g340, Yamaha LL6M
'78 Fender Strat
Univox Ultra elec12string
Lute 13 strings
Gibson Les Paul Triumph Bass
Piano, Keyboards, Controllers, Marimba, Dusty Strings harp
Old 04-21-2024, 04:59 PM

Thanks, all! I'm hoping to make a purchase soon, maybe this week, although I'm not in a rush if I don't find the right one. I hope to check out a Yamaha AC3M in person sometime over the next week and will see if it's right for me. It would be at the top end of my budget but a lot of people seem to love it. (Still interested in the FS830C or AC1M and still open to something other than a Yamaha.) Anything more than the AC3M is probably truly out of my price range. Also, I realize no guitar no matter how expensive is going to make my playing (even the hopefully better playing I might do in the future) sound masterful, and my playing will still be the weakest link in the chain, just as no basketball shoes were ever going to make me able to dunk a basketball.

I do imagine myself using a condenser mic for recording (feedback I had gotten from people elsewhere also downplayed the idea that plugged in could be as good as microphone) but I can imagine getting a guitar without any electronics may be something I come to regret for one reason or another.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Tags
apple logic, daw, recording, transacoustic, yamaha