The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-05-2014, 10:05 PM

Metal core seems to popular with people in my age group (late teens/early 20s) but I just can't listen to it. Whenever I get in a car with friends the first thing they do is turn on one of the various metal core bands (Of Mice and Men, Hollywood Undead, etc.) and despite attempting to not hate it, I just can't do it. If I hear one more cookie monster voiced singer shrieking over some power chords I think I'll go insane!

Also Jack Johnson, Jason Mraz, Bruce Springsteen, and Dave Matthews. Nothing against them but if I can avoid listening to them I'll do anything in my power to do it.

With that said though, I love Bob Dylan, Leon Russell, and Neil Young. I guess weird voices kind of appeal to me.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott O View Post
...Anyone who has Neil Young, The Who, or The Beatles on their list is insane! Fact.
Neil Young - The soundtrack of every sorority mixer during my college days; like the Dead, great listening if you've just blown a bong-full and you're doing two hippie chicks under the pool table ...

The Who - Respected John Entwistle's bass work, but never liked the proto-arena rock bombast of much of their material...

Beatles - Saw their Ed Sullivan debut (bought a Gretsch hollow that May), couldn't get enough of their early work (still can't, 50 years later), watched them slowly lose it as the drugs began to color their output; told my friends at the time that Sgt. Pepper was the beginning of the end and Magical Mystery Tour was the first nail in the coffin - they laughed then, I laughed in early '70...

Background - I have two masters' degrees and a total of 78 undergraduate/graduate credits in psychology, so I'm very well-qualified to understand and evaluate the distinctions between genuine clinical etiology/pathology and simple differences in personal taste, as well as the cognitive dissonance often generated when said tastes differ from one's own...

Fact...

Peace out...
Old 08-05-2014, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drplayer View Post
.....The Beatles sit atop almost every list of best bands ever..... So, what am I missing???
An ear for melody maybe?

Just raggin' on ya!
Old 08-05-2014, 11:21 PM

I can't stand Bob Dylan's singing. And many acts out now sound tired. To each their own, though.

I would love to have an all mahogany or all koa, and a good Martin to contrast my little Taylor family. Maybe someday!
Old 08-05-2014, 11:25 PM
Charter Member

Queen not rock and roll??!? Unforgivable blasphemy!
Old 08-05-2014, 11:40 PM

Default Never understood all of the props given to Jimi Hendrix.

Always thought his work, while innovative, was quite overrated.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:59 PM

I'm another one who just can't dig the Beatles. I can't put my finger on it, but as a guitarist, there aren't really any songs that stand out and make me want to learn, other than "Here comes the sun" and the over played "blackbird"...I was scolded by my father in law a few weeks back because they are his favorite band!

I get tired of Stevie Ray Vaughan's tone very quickly....

Radio Head is my best friends favorite band, and I just can't stand them for the most part, although they have a handful of songs that I really like. I'm not a fan of the singing.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:16 AM

if nothing nice you can say, better to say it not!

YODA

Last edited by steelvibe; 08-06-2014 at 12:24 AM.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:26 AM

Don’t get me wrong--Joni Mitchell’s songwriting raised the bar for everyone who came after her, but her later stuff (from “Hejira” onward) began to wear on me. Only ones of that era that grabbed me were “Coyote,” “Amelia,” “Magdalene Laundries” and “Chinese Cafe."

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.
Old 08-06-2014, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnydobbers View Post
I get tired of Stevie Ray Vaughan's tone very quickly....
Me too, bores me to death...
Dean EABC5
Gretsch 9121
Lag TN100 Nylon
Recording King RO-10
Recording King RP-06

https://soundcloud.com/search?q=Smokerblacker
Old 08-06-2014, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Background - I have two masters' degrees and a total of 78 undergraduate/graduate credits in psychology, so I'm very well-qualified to understand and evaluate the distinctions between genuine clinical etiology/pathology and simple differences in personal taste, as well as the cognitive dissonance often generated when said tastes differ from one's own...

Fact...

Peace out...
Well, if nothing else this AGF thread certainly has been most entertaining to follow.

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion