The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-29-2014, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJBoogie View Post
The 816ce is a great guitar but every time I touched that 914ce it just felt like home.

Thoughts?
I dont care if you are looking at a $100 guitar or $10,000....you buy the one that you feel at home with.
Crafter D8-12EQ
Alvarez RC-10
PRS SE Custom 24

Old 01-29-2014, 09:26 AM

Back in 2000 I thought I wanted an 814ce. I was pretty sure I could maybe afford an 814ce and so I frequented my music shop (Alamo Music) and played an 814ce on a regular basis. One day they got a 914c in and I knew I couldn't afford it but wanted to try it out. One strum and I was hooked. I have owned my 914c for 12 years and love it dearly.

Now I work for Alamo Music and can't recommend that guitar enough.

Go SPURS Go
Old 01-29-2014, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoreline Music View Post
A couple things worth considering:

--The smaller x14 guitars come from the factory strung with lights. The larger x16s come with mediums. It's entirely possible the "feel" you noticed was simply the easier playability of the lighter strings on a smaller body.

--The 800 series guitars have undergone an update this year. This update does not apply to the 900 series. It's worth confirming that the 816ce you played is indeed a 2014. If not, you might want to get your hands on one of the newer ones to see if you like it better.

Either way, you're in for a great guitar—you can't go wrong with any of these. Good luck!

Great point! Although it was the quality of the wood of the necks that felt different to me as well. I know they say there's no difference between the 800's and the 900's but for some reason the density and quality of the necks felt like a step up.

Has anyone else noticed that?

I know some folks have mentioned the girlie inlays. Yeah it's not my cup of tea but I really wanted to just go with what felt the best.

If I wanted to buy a guitar on looks I'd get a Gibson. They are the coolest looking acoustics to me artistically speaking.

Anyways.....I am tempted to do the 814 or 816 and upgrade the nut but I am afraid if I do that the neck won't feel the same.

I played two different 914ce's and the necks were consistent with each other.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBromiAndufEwd View Post
I dont care if you are looking at a $100 guitar or $10,000....you buy the one that you feel at home with.

That's the way I am leaning! :-)

I just wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy for feeling like the 914 felt better. I am not saying the 916 or 814's felt bad but they were just different and not my preference. At least the specific ones I played in the four stores I went to.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:55 AM

I sold an 814ce to get a 914ce (in 2011 before the Cindy inlay). The wood is superior on the 914 and I like the Gotoh tuners and Bone nut/saddle. The only consideration is whether you might prefer a new re-voiced 814ce. I sure like the tone from my 914 and wouldn't change a thing!
Old 01-29-2014, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
I sold an 814ce to get a 914ce (in 2011 before the Cindy inlay). The wood is superior on the 914 and I like the Gotoh tuners and Bone nut/saddle. The only consideration is whether you might prefer a new re-voiced 814ce. I sure like the tone from my 914 and wouldn't change a thing!

Yeah the wood man! It feels different to me.

Anyways now I gotta decide on the florentine or venetian cutaway. Going the Florentine route will take MUCH longer for my order. Not sure if that aesthetic aspect is worth it or not.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Yeah the wood man! It feels different to me.

Anyways now I gotta decide on the florentine or venetian cutaway. Going the Florentine route will take MUCH longer for my order. Not sure if that aesthetic aspect is worth it or not.
I prefer the florentine cutaway. For whatever that's worth to you!

What is MUCH longer? I'm not good at waiting...so I'd probably go with the venetian for no other reason than having more immediate gratification.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecguitar44 View Post
I prefer the florentine cutaway. For whatever that's worth to you!

What is MUCH longer? I'm not good at waiting...so I'd probably go with the venetian for no other reason than having more immediate gratification.

That's exactly what I was thinking man! LOL
Old 01-29-2014, 06:45 PM

Hi JJ, Welcome to the AGF.

As others have posted, if the 914ce is your favorite then you may regret it if you choose something else. I've read all of your posts in this thread and I can't quite make out whether you A/B'd the 814 against the 914, or if it was just the 816 and 914.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Great point! Although it was the quality of the wood of the necks that felt different to me as well. I know they say there's no difference between the 800's and the 900's but for some reason the density and quality of the necks felt like a step up.

Anyways.....I am tempted to do the 814 or 816 and upgrade the nut but I am afraid if I do that the neck won't feel the same.

I played two different 914ce's and the necks were consistent with each other.
Firstly, there will be no difference in the neck. Zero. The difference is in the Rosewood back and sides being different grades of Rosewood (different grades on a visual level). There is no difference in the Mahogany used in the neck. So if you're 'feeling' something different, it's the placebo effect.

Secondly, changing the nut and saddle won't change the feel of the neck. It just won't.

Thirdly, if you believe the 900 series somehow impacts on the feel of the neck, may I recommend a Presentation Series Taylor. They are the next step up (or should I say neck step up) from a 900 series and for only several thousand dollars more and you can get an even better feeling neck, if you truly believe that the feel of the neck changes the higher up in Taylors you go, that is.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Hi JJ, Welcome to the AGF.

As others have posted, if the 914ce is your favorite then you may regret it if you choose something else. I've read all of your posts in this thread and I can't quite make out whether you A/B'd the 814 against the 914, or if it was just the 816 and 914.

My apologies.......I picked up the 814 and it didn't resonate with me. The 816 felt closer in feel and tone to the 914 than any of the other guitars. The 914 has some nice low end punch that the 814 did not have so I think that extra little girth in the 816 made it feel closer. :-)
Old 01-29-2014, 06:56 PM

Quote:
My apologies.......I picked up the 814 and it didn't resonate with me. The 816 felt closer in feel and tone to the 914 than any of the other guitars. The 914 has some nice low end punch that the 814 did not have so I think that extra little girth in the 816 made it feel closer. :-)
It can be both exciting, and frustrating, trying to narrow it down to the one to get, isn't it?
Old 01-29-2014, 08:24 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
It can be both exciting, and frustrating, trying to narrow it down to the one to get, isn't it?
All of the above indeed! LOL

I finally placed my order.

I got the 914ce Vintage Sunburst with a Florentine cutaway.

It's gonna take about 6 weeks to get.

If I would have gone with the natural finish and venetian cutaway they could have shipped to me this week. LOL

Was SO TOUGH not to compromise but I remained strong and decided to get what I really wanted look wise as well.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:30 PM

I have an original NT neck 914ce and am glad I got it, I am not a bling guy also, I got it for the sound and playability
Old 01-29-2014, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha Goodall View Post
Firstly, there will be no difference in the neck. Zero. The difference is in the Rosewood back and sides being different grades of Rosewood (different grades on a visual level). There is no difference in the Mahogany used in the neck. So if you're 'feeling' something different, it's the placebo effect......
Personally I would tend to give the man the benefit of the doubt. If he feels something different with the neck, then there is probably a difference in the neck. Stranger things are possible...
Gibson J-30
Walden CO500 (camper)
Fender FSR BSB Telecaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion